+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree815Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Just the reminder I needed. Patience.
    PGM35 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

The room I've remodeled is almost complete - I tore off carpet and built in furniture and tongue and groove walls. I put in new flooring, replaced a wall, added insulation, resurfaced the walls to match other walls, installed new electrical boxes and nicer outlets and switches, painted and lastly I put in baseboard molding. Still to finish - painting window trim and the closet and door. It looks like an entirely different space than before! It's not perfect, but not bad. I've been working on it off and on for about 6 weeks or so but did most of the work in the last two weeks. It feels great to accomplish something! I've listened to 12 audiobooks during those two weeks so that's a bonus!
    Punkin, shyra, beerbelly and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    The room I've remodeled is almost complete - I tore off carpet and built in furniture and tongue and groove walls. I put in new flooring, replaced a wall, added insulation, resurfaced the walls to match other walls, installed new electrical boxes and nicer outlets and switches, painted and lastly I put in baseboard molding. Still to finish - painting window trim and the closet and door. It looks like an entirely different space than before! It's not perfect, but not bad. I've been working on it off and on for about 6 weeks or so but did most of the work in the last two weeks. It feels great to accomplish something! I've listened to 12 audiobooks during those two weeks so that's a bonus!
    You have inspired me to get going on my project! Your new room sounds great! It sounds like you're now ready for the guests.
    Cootie likes this.

Lopevian, I am very impressed with your testimony. I think you may be downplaying your hard work though. I can imagine how happy you are and how proud you are of that accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    What! No crown molding? Slacker! No. Actually what I meant to say is: Amazing, Girl!!! I would only qualify as a 'helper' on a project like that. I hope you'll make time this weekend to get out of the house for a celebratory dinner and cocktails. You've more than earned it!
    beerbelly and Cootie like this.

I wish I could do that, Cootie! My office is just loaded with stuff and I'd love to clean it out, rearrange and turn it into a studio. Unfortunately, it's not a hoarding situation where I could just throw out all of the stuff - it's full of things I need or want to keep. I just don't have the storage for it (I often joke that I need a Room of Requirement in this tiny house). Maybe one of these days I'll go for it!

I'll bet you have a great sense of (well-deserved) accomplishment!
    Cootie likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I wish I had the money to hire you to do some work for me, Cootie. I've got loads of projects I need done around the house and I just never have the time or energy to get to them. I'm so impressed that you know how to do all that!

Crown molding is beyond my skill level especially in that room as it is a little attic bedroom with a slanted ceiling. If you are like me, you've watched hundreds of shows on how to remodel rooms. I love how they can do in two days what I did in 6 weeks! I work very slowly especially in the heat that we've had this month. I find that I can do okay with many tasks because of experience with sewing and cooking. I don't have access to all the tools I would like, but we have some good basics like a mitre saw, power drill and I just purchased a jigsaw which really helped me do the flooring. I've painted and worked on walls for a number of years and can do small drywall jobs. I hope as I get closer to retirement that I can keep working on my 64 year old house and make it better. One great benefit is that I've made a commitment to getting rid of stuff that is just taking up space. It is so liberating.
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.

I have to think the work done in 2 days on those shows is pretty shoddy. Great on camera and if you squint. I'd be surprised if most of those places don't have problems later. Six weeks is a good amount of time, but it's really not that long.

When I moved into this tiny house, my cousin talked about how getting rid of things is liberating. THIS IS NOT TRUE. It's liberating when the stuff is GONE. The process of getting rid of things is a pain in the butt!
    Punkin, Ellen, Cootie and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I have to think the work done in 2 days on those shows is pretty shoddy. Great on camera and if you squint. I'd be surprised if most of those places don't have problems later. Six weeks is a good amount of time, but it's really not that long.

When I moved into this tiny house, my cousin talked about how getting rid of things is liberating. THIS IS NOT TRUE. It's liberating when the stuff is GONE. The process of getting rid of things is a pain in the butt!
    I agree with you. It is a pain and a huge mess to take things out of the attic, the closets, under beds and off of shelves and get it out. I used to not be able to get rid of much of the stuff that I now either give away, recycle or throw out. I made myself watch a number of the hoarding shows and somehow that cured me of my inner talk that certain items were useful even though I hadn't thought of/seen the item for years. That feeling of liberation is something that I keep in my head as I do the work of cleaning out. Fortunately I don't have many books as my work in the library means that I have very good borrowing privileges! I have quite a bit of nice fabric that I am itching to sew and that room is next on my list to put new flooring into. Once it gets a makeover, sewing will be much more pleasurable! I am determined to make my house something that I am proud of. I'll get there, but it will take a while. At least it is paid for, so my efforts will help it keep it's value. My husband is putting a new roof on it too. It's always something with an older home.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread