+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree786Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Great news, [b]Ellen[b]!! The last time we were in San Diego, last year, was again on a cruise and we went to Old Town! It would have been fun to have a guided tour. I've sailed into San Diego 4 times and it is one of the coolest and longest port entrances, with submarines, ships and aircraft carriers. The day we were there last April both the Ronald Regan and Carl Vinson took off for somewhere while we were docked at breakfast. Something I've never seen before!

I'm very happy for you and hope we'll get to San Diego again soon! This job sounds perfect for you. I hope they dress you up in a real cute period costume, though I like seeing you in the strapless gown with long blue gloves.
    Ellen likes this.

Yea Ellen! Have fun.
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

That is good news about the new job! Congratulations.
    Ellen likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Finally, after a year of soul-crushing job-hunting and interviews (whenever it went that far), I've *finally* landed a job!
    (My husband recovered from his cancer ordeal much more quickly than did my little freelance business. No one ever tells you *that*, BTW.)
    The pay is kind of crappy (part-time seasonal classification) and there are no health nor retirement benes—which I'm used to from freelance— but the people and environment are beyond wonderful. I'm going to be a park aide at Old Town San Diego Historic State Park. I get to teach, act, lead tours, and provide visitor services while dressed up in mid-1800s garb. The folks there are among the friendliest and most dedicated I'd ever met — through my eight+ years with the SDESL Immersion School Without Walls — I'm really happy for this next chapter of my life to be part of their team.

So if any of you ever visit San Diego, plan to visit Old Town. And if you PM me ahead of time, I might be able to work out a little something special.
    Fantastic! Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. We have something similar here...an old restoration village where they also dress in garb of the time period and show how things were done in the olden days. Sounds like a blast. So happy for you. Best of luck!
    Ellen likes this.

Congratulations on your new job!
    Ellen likes this.

Great news Ellen. The position sounds so interesting and fun. Good for you.

I've been to San Deigo once and it was many years ago. I hope to return one day.
    Ellen likes this.

Thanks, FoRT friends, for all of your "likes" and good wishes!
    I'm really looking forward to this new job and being on the same team as the people who went above and beyond in providing great experiences for my clients in my former gig.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Congratulations, Ellen! You'll be terrific at it.
    Ellen likes this.

Enjoy, Ellen-you'll be great!!
    Ellen likes this.

Congratulations Ellen! The new job sounds awesome and fun, two things all jobs *should* be, but unfortunately most aren't. I'm happy for you.
    Ellen likes this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread