+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree786Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I've had a bunch of bad things happen in my life recently, which I'm trying not to dwell on. One day last week was especially difficult for me and I was just focusing on finishing my work day so I could go home. I work at a pharmacy and a mentally handicapped man (with his aide) came to pick up his prescriptions but found that he didn't have enough money to pay for them. Since they are regulars I offered to let them charge it until the next day, but a young man standing behind them spoke up and said he would cover it. The bill was only $7.95, but it was the thought that counted and it really lifted my spirits. Well, the very next day, our furnace at work wasn't working properly. It was pretty cold in there, and while waiting on one of our regulars, I guess I shivered. She mentioned that it seemed cold in there and I said they were working on the furnace, but didn't know how long it would take. I also said that I usually layer my clothes so I can be comfortable no matter what the temp is, but that morning I didn't. It wasn't 10 minutes later, this lady drove up to our drive-thru window and handed me a sweat shirt to wear! She had gone home and got one for me and said that she couldn't spend her whole day thinking about me freezing at work! I almost cried. So, I guess my good news is that, no matter how dark it seems to get, something so simple can brighten your whole day and improve your outlook on life.
    These are the stories I love to hear because they remind me, like others, that there are still good people in the world. I have actually done before what you mentioned in the first story. It is really no skin off my back and the two times I have done it, the other person was so grateful and relieved. And the way I look at it is that it then spreads. The people I did it to are then more likely to do something nice for someone else - and the people standing around me who then told me that was very nice of me - well, then maybe they are also more likely to do something nice. The one I have been hearing about recently is people pulling up a drive thru and finding out the person in front of them paid their order. I think that is so cool - and I love that when you do it that way, it is truly anonymous because you have no idea who was in the car in front of you. Doing something for someone else just because you can, without any need for thanks or something in return - to me, that is the coolest thing out there!!

My grandson graduates San Jose State tomorrow! Yay! Of course he needs a floral Lea (tradition around here) and DIL had me track that down. Happily!, there is Aloha Warehouse in town. Who knew? I eagerly volunteered to pick up the Lea as an excuse to see what Aloha Warehouse was all about! After a no doubt very long ceremony my son and DIL will treat :>) the whole family group at "Beppa de Bucco" restaurant in Palo Alto afterward. My DIL advised me to take a nap so I could stay up that late. LOLOLOLOL
    CantGetNuf, Kip and Miss Scarlet like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Congratulations to your grandson, Punkin.

My son & his wife ate at the Palo Alto Beppa de Bucco last week. A month or so ago Amazon Local had a free $10 off coupon for Beppa del Bucco, so I claimed it and sent it to them (my son works in Palo Alto).
    Punkin likes this.

I meant to say floral "Lei". I love Buca di Beppo! Thanks for telling me about the coupon! I just printed one and will tell DIL and 'other grandma' to print one too! I know there is another Buca in The City, but don't know if it is a nationwide chain. Great food and fun atmosphere.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I don't know if it's national, but there are many in California. I had never heard of them until I got the notification of the coupon. Since it was Amazon Local, I figured there would be one in my area, so I opted in for it. When I printed it out, the two locations listed on it were in Southern California! I was going to send it to someone I know down there, but then thought to check their locations and saw there was one in Palo Alto and one in San Francisco. My son works in Palo Alto, but lives 20 min away. So I sent it to him and told him if he didn't want it, to give it to someone at work or friends who live in The City. But the used it and are now Buca di Bepppo fans, so the coupon did what it was intended to do.
    Punkin likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just had my annual checkup. Cholesterol is a little high, but I take niacin for it and told the doctor that statin drugs were NOT going to happen. She asked me a bunch of questions and I said, "Why does this sound like a geriatric checklist?" She smiled and said, "Because you are a geriatric patient."

Gee, thanks.

Given my advanced age, I'm in good shape. (Round is a shape, right?)
    Punkin, waywyrd, Kip and 4 others like this.

Good for you, AZ. My answer is "No" to statins also. I've read too many things saying they're either not necessary or actually harmful. I do a lot with diet and exercise and try to keep things under control that way. There is no scientific proof that statins extend your life, especially where women are concerned.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I meant to say floral "Lei". I love Buca di Beppo! Thanks for telling me about the coupon! I just printed one and will tell DIL and 'other grandma' to print one too! I know there is another Buca in The City, but don't know if it is a nationwide chain. Great food and fun atmosphere.
    We have them here in Michigan. So might not be completely national - but MI to CA is a pretty big spread!!
    Punkin likes this.

Finally, after a year of soul-crushing job-hunting and interviews (whenever it went that far), I've *finally* landed a job!
    (My husband recovered from his cancer ordeal much more quickly than did my little freelance business. No one ever tells you *that*, BTW.)
    The pay is kind of crappy (part-time seasonal classification) and there are no health nor retirement benes—which I'm used to from freelance— but the people and environment are beyond wonderful. I'm going to be a park aide at Old Town San Diego Historic State Park. I get to teach, act, lead tours, and provide visitor services while dressed up in mid-1800s garb. The folks there are among the friendliest and most dedicated I'd ever met — through my eight+ years with the SDESL Immersion School Without Walls — I'm really happy for this next chapter of my life to be part of their team.

So if any of you ever visit San Diego, plan to visit Old Town. And if you PM me ahead of time, I might be able to work out a little something special.
    Punkin, CantGetNuf, JLuvs and 12 others like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

That's great Ellen- I am so pleased for you
    Ellen likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread