+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 830 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192132182582 ... LastLast
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I have popcorn ceilings in every room of my house. Every time I paint the ceiling I cringe as little bits of styrofoam covered with paint fall down and get stuck in my hair, on my glasses, down my shirt... you name it! That crap ought to be outlawed!

I agree with you about painting, Muduh, and it's the one thing around the house that I'm actually handy at. Every September I take a week off work and paint a few rooms. The house looks great, and it's good exercise for me, too.
    I have popcorn ceilings, but I like the look...

How do you paint them, though? I thought they had to be sprayed.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO

I just take a roller, attach it to a stick, dip it in paint and roll it across the ceiling. Maybe that's why the popcorn falls on me!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I just take a roller, attach it to a stick, dip it in paint and roll it across the ceiling. Maybe that's why the popcorn falls on me!
    That's how we've always painted ours too, Dinahann It's a total pain to paint that popcorn. The problem is that that cr@p just grabs onto dust and spider webs and everything else. They look horrible. I wish I could just scrape it off! If I get really ambitious, I'll paint all the popcorn celings. If I do decide to paint them, I'm going to buy some of that ceiling paint that's pink until it dries so I can get good coverage. I don't know how great a room's going to look if I do the walls and leave the dirty ceiling alone.

I think the popcorn falls off because it's a bad product.

In a few months, when I'm in the midst of painting, you all can go check out my progress in the "Pet Peeves" thread!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    The problem is that that cr@p just grabs onto dust and spider webs and everything else. They look horrible.
    Oh, yeah, I do hate that part. And painting it. But I don't mind the look of it.

I just painted and left the ceilings and I don't think it looks that bad. Not sure how dirty yours is, though. Maybe you can get a soft broom and get all the dust and cobwebs and it will be fine. Another tip you probably know already: If your wall meets the ceiling (no trim) get one of those paint guides since you can't really tape a popcorn ceiling correctly.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    A friend of mine has a horror story about removing the popcorn ceiling stuff. Her hubby (a real brain trust, let me tell you) decided to remove it all. By sanding it out with a power sander. This created a lovely fine white powder that got sucked through the air conditioning to every room in the house, covering everything, including the new furniture. It can be cleaned up, but it was a huge pain.

I've heard of people doing a sheetrock veneer over the ceilings to eliminate the removal step. It isn't that cheap, however, and can be just as much of a hassle.

One bit of advice if you're going to paint the ceilings: get a fluffy roller, not the standard one for painting regular walls. It'll use more paint that way, but less of the ceiling material will fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO

I still prefer it to any other look.
    Mine have never been repainted but no cobweb or anything else would dare take up residence on my ceiling. My husband is rabid about using a duster, constantly. Only on the ceilings though. the rest of the place could use it too.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I still prefer it to any other look.
    Mine have never been repainted but no cobweb or anything else would dare take up residence on my ceiling. My husband is rabid about using a duster, constantly. Only on the ceilings though. the rest of the place could use it too.

Mudduh, you wouldn't mind sending the little mister over my way, would ya? I've got a grundle of dusting to be done. Can the guy run a vacuum? I pay extra moolah for that.

I need someone to clean the webs, wash some walls, etc etc.,
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

You all reread that post of mine. He only seems to do ceilings. He doesn't know how to use an oven, washer or dryer and he has never mastered the vacuum. He can clean windows but doesn't. He does clean bathrooms well though. AND I never have to pick up after him. He's very neat.

Okay - first, hellos all around. Real life has been getting in the way of my virtual life *pouts* and I've missed everyone here so very much. Hopefully I'll be getting a chance to stop around here more often, now that my computer is up and running once again

Despite the difficulties my family has been going through, we now have some good news to share:

Eric and I are getting married July 17th.
    and (the sweetest part) he is adopting my daughter Emma.

*pops cork on bottle of champage and begins pouring for those who care to join her in celebration*
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread