+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree783Likes

Thread: Share your good news

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My mother is a quilter, so I know the effort that represents. It is stunningly beautiful. I think those other comments were just sour grapes. You've proven that it's a prize-winning piece of art. Well done!
    Sour grapes, indeed. I have zero skills in this area but have several friends and a sister-in-law who do serious quilting. I recognize quality when I see it and I agree that those who would disparage and make negative comments about your quilt are just jealous haters. I marvel at anyone who is handy in any way with their hands. I've never learned knitting, sewing, crocheting, or quilting. Again, congratulations, captain, on a gorgeous quilt and your best in show ribbon.
    Photobabe likes this.

The material is from a line called Kansas Trouble fabric. The fabric and pattern designer was from my home town in Kansas. The applique is wool. There is a little embroidery of Kansas wheat.
    The actual name of the quilt is Kansas Trouble: Ten Years and Counting.
    There's no place like home!

What a beautiful quilt. I would never have the patience to make something like that. Congratulations! How big is it?
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

captain ... I just want to suggest that you start an album in your profile ... and include your quilt ,,, and maybe a photo of the blue ribbon too!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

It will fit a king size bed....I will have to look into the album thing...thanks
    I started an album, just a few in it for now.
    Last edited by captain; 09-07-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    There's no place like home!

A king!! well guess who has a king size bed! captain..LOL
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    It will fit a king size bed....I will have to look into the album thing...thanks
    I started an album, just a few in it for now.
    You are very talented!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

captain, that's one GORGEOUS quilt! I don't have a king bed, but I hope to one day,... insert puppydog begging eyes right here!

I haven't even been on this site in a long time because my life has become so hectic of late, but I really have to tell someone my GREAT news. My son is getting full custody of his two daughters! I'm not sure how many of you remember the ordeal we went through as a family while my son fought for visitation with his two daughters. We weren't allowed to see his youngest girl until she was 14 months old after months of paternity testing and court battles. Things have gotten "better" since then, but he was only seeing his girls every other weekend and every other holiday. In the last year or so his ex has slowly gotten... I guess I would just have to classify it as bored with being a mother and she's been partying like a teenager on the weekends that the girls are with us. This has caused problems between her and her boyfriend, who is really a decent guy. It came to a head on Labor Day weekend and they broke up, she took off and left the girls with us. She called my son and told him that he could have custody of the girls and she would take weekend visits. He immediately went to his lawyer and had him draw up the papers. Well, today she went in and signed the papers so once the lawyer gets everything officially filed with the court, he will be their custodial parent.

For now he, his girlfriend and the girls are living with us until he gets some remodeling and repairs done to his house. We have always had a bedroom set up for the girls and he and his girlfriend are living in our basement. Both he and his gf work nights so I am able to help him with the child care duties this way, and we all decided that what the girls need right now is consistency and stability so it just feels right that they stay here for awhile until they are able to get on their feet.

I've already noticed a remarkable difference in the girls behavior in the couple of weeks that they have been here. While they were with their mother they didn't have much in the way of discipline and her methods of punishment bordered on abuse. They are SO much better off being away from her. The arrangement, for the time being, is that she will have to visit the girls at her parents house since she is presently homeless and staying with various friends. I'm not really sure how serious she is about having regular visits anyway considering the fact that she told me that the next time she wants them to visit isn't until Sept. 28 and that's only because her parents want to take them to some event they are attending.

Anyway, that's my good news and I am on the top of the world. I was so afraid that she would show up and just take the girls and we wouldn't be able to do a thing about it because she had the legal authority to do it. Those little girls are the light of my life and I now have some hope that they may have a decent future.
    Ellen, M_shelll, Cootie and 3 others like this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I'm so happy for you! I know those girls mean the world to you. And you're right - the stability you're able to provide is what they need most right now. Bless you.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread