+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 829 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091131181581 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Critical, if you don't mind, I have two suggestions. Take the bucket of paint and have Lowe's mix your color in. It will be hard as heck to mix a huge bucket at home. I have a hard time mixing one gallon. Plus, if you need more, they will have the formula to use the next time.
    Unless your bathroom is extremely light, I would have the ceiling a light color. A dark ceiling and walls, in a dark room add up to a cave like appearance. That is strictly a personal opinion. I like really light rooms.
    As long as they don't charge for that service, Muduh, I may just have them mix the colors for me. I definitely wouldn't be mixing a color in the 5-gal bucket - I will be using the cream to repaint some walls. I'll probably just buy smaller buckets to do the other colors in.

Because the paint is cream (vs. white), I'm buying the green bathroom paint at Lowe's. In the other rooms (at this point, the kitchen and dining room, as well as one wall in the entryway), I'm using colors all within the same family: gold on one kitchen wall, yellow on the rest of the kitchen and the dining room and a kind of siena/rust on the entryway (it's only about 3 feet wide, so it can handle the dark color without making it seem like a cave - I like light, bright colors). Those earth tone-ish colors can be mixed using the free paint. I should mention that my kitchen is done in bright colors, with Mexican pottery and sepape fabric on the wall, so the bright colors will work well.

I'm leaning toward the cream on the ceiling. It would just be easier not to have to tape it off, you know? The bathroom color is light, but not super-light. I've already taped up pieces of paper in the color I want on three walls in the bathroom, just to make sure it's not going to be too dark!

How sad is it that I am this excited about painting!?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    sounds like fun Critical! I'm a big fan of "ceiling white" for ceilings though. Makes it clean looking and brighter, regardless of the color of the walls. I just painted a cranberry color and thought white ceilings would be too much, but I love them.

In any case, enjoy whichever color you decide on. Definitely have Lowe's mix the paint - a much smoother look

Nothing makes a bigger change, for a smaller amount of money, than a coat of paint. I really like the bright colors in other peoples houses, but I tend to stay with pastels. I love sunny yellow and have two rooms that color. My living room is melon with one dark barnwood wall.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    sounds like fun Critical! I'm a big fan of "ceiling white" for ceilings though. Makes it clean looking and brighter, regardless of the color of the walls. I just painted a cranberry color and thought white ceilings would be too much, but I love them.

In any case, enjoy whichever color you decide on. Definitely have Lowe's mix the paint - a much smoother look
    I have that gawd-awful popcorn celing cr@p in all rooms except the kitchen and bathrooms. The popcorn is painted white, but the flat celings are painted the wall color. I have vaulted celings in a few rooms, so I doubt I'll be able to paint them, but I wish I could!

Muduh - you are so right! I just love the fresh, clean feeling of new paint. I think I'm choosing bright colors because I'm so sick of living with these off-white walls. Plus, my kitchen has no windows, so I use paint and decor to make it brighter. Even if I painted it white, it wouldn't feel lighter in there. At least I can make it more cheery.

on Lowe's! My brother works for Lowe's, so I have gift cards (he likes giving gifts that he doesn't have to wrap!). Plus, if I go to Home Depot and he finds out, I get in trouble! I prefer Lowe's anyway - in my experience, it's cleaner and the people are more friendly.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Nothing makes a bigger change, for a smaller amount of money, than a coat of paint. I really like the bright colors in other peoples houses, but I tend to stay with pastels. I love sunny yellow and have two rooms that color. My living room is melon with one dark barnwood wall.
    You are not just clicking the teeth ma'am- I love a fresh coat of paint to brighten or change a room cheaply
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    How sad is it that I am this excited about painting!?
    Not the least bit sad, I absolutly love to paint. I love nothing better than anything that has to do with colors.

Since we're into to home decorating I thought I'd mention something I heard on tv the other day. Do any of you remember several years ago when they put glitter in those blown on (popcorn) ceilings? Well now they are saying that that glitter stuff is dangerous to your health. I never liked it and practically had to slap the sheetrock guy, Cher style, to keep him from doing it anyway. My girlfriend loved it and has serious glitter in every room.

Do any of you remember several years ago when they put glitter in those blown on (popcorn) ceilings?
    Several years ago...or several decades ago?! Like about the heyday of the disco ball?

My childhood home was wall-to-wall glitter popcorn ceiling. Ugh. Glad you were prepared to slap someone to prevent it from happening to you!
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Well, totoro, this was about twenty years ago, but this IS Tennessee, so yours could have been a decade or two before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I have that gawd-awful popcorn celing cr@p in all rooms except the kitchen and bathrooms. The popcorn is painted white, but the flat celings are painted the wall color. I have vaulted celings in a few rooms, so I doubt I'll be able to paint them, but I wish I could!
    I have popcorn ceilings in every room of my house. Every time I paint the ceiling I cringe as little bits of styrofoam covered with paint fall down and get stuck in my hair, on my glasses, down my shirt... you name it! That crap ought to be outlawed!

I agree with you about painting, Muduh, and it's the one thing around the house that I'm actually handy at. Every September I take a week off work and paint a few rooms. The house looks great, and it's good exercise for me, too.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread