+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree609Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

The last 4 vehicles I've owned, 2 of them brand new, have been GM products & when the time comes for my next one I'll definitely be focusing on GM.
    They've held up well, been really comfortable & drove well, gotten good gas mileage even after they had a lot of miles on them, and the prices were very resonable.
    Car #1 had 280,000 miles on it when it finally wore out. Bought new.
    Car #2 had 230,000 miles on it when it got hit & totalled. Bought nearly new.
    Car #3 had 175,000 miles on it when it wore out. Used - Replacement for #2
    Car #4 (current car) has 120,000 miles on it & is going strong. NO problems. Bought new.

Obviously I'm a huge GM proponent.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Is a "power lift gate" that thing where you can open the trunk door with no hands? Because I want one of those! How often do we have to put down our groceries, watch the bags flop over and the cans roll out, just to close the door? Drives me nuts.
    No, that's only available on a Ford (which I WOULD never buy again) and some expensive luxury car (which I COULD never buy). The power lift gate does open automatically from the key fob, so you click a button (just like unlocking the door), and the tailgate goes up. Then there's another button that you push when it's up, and it closes automatically.

This is a pricey day for us. Down payment on the new car, then I authorized a reservation for our 50th anniversary cruise next year. Had to hurry up, as the ship was filling up and today was the first day they were accepting reservations! Fortunately, we don't have to put any more money down on it, but between the car and the cruise, we're committing ourselves to a couple of major expenses! We don't expect too much sympathy though - a new car and a 27-day cruise are not things that people will feel sorry for us about.

And, no, we're not rich. We've just planned ahead to make these two dreams come true. It was just coincidental that they're both hitting at the same time!
    Jamie5632 and Photobabe like this.

Fantastic news AZ. I hope you enjoy your cruise and your new car!
    AZChristian likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We're buying a new car!

I've been shopping around for a few weeks, and we've settled on a Chevy Equinox. The dealer has been terrific. Instead of saying, "Oh, if you want THAT option (e.g., power seats), then you have to get THIS model, and it comes with leather seats." "But I live in Arizona. I want cloth seats." "We'll throw in a seat cover." "I don't want leather seats with a seat cover." "But you have to have leather seats if you want power seats."

The Chevy folks have said, "Tell us what you want, and we'll have the factory build it for you. You buy the lower-option model, and we'll customize it with the options you want. So I'm getting power seats with CLOTH covers, and a power lift gate and a bunch of other stuff. I'll order it today, and should have it in 6-8 weeks. :-)
    That's wonderful. I love the look of the Equinox. Count me as another Chevy lover as well. I've owned nothing but GM products since I started driving. Oldsmobile Cutlass, Chevy Astro van and now a Chevy Trailblazer. Hubby has a GMC Sierra pick up with diesel engine. I keep my cars a long time, at least 12 years. Right now I am on year 10 of my 2003 but I only have 42,000 miles. I mostly do local driving. Best of luck with your new Chevy!

ETA: Did I read your next post correctly? 50 years of married bliss? How wonderful! a 27 day cruise sounds so terribly exciting to me. The longest we've done are one week cruises. Hubby, however, would consider it torture. He hates cruising and so far has only been a good sport to make me happy. But 27 days? No way.
    Last edited by Eastcoastmom; 03-14-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    That's wonderful. I love the look of the Equinox. Count me as another Chevy lover as well. I've owned nothing but GM products since I started driving. Oldsmobile Cutlass, Chevy Astro van and now a Chevy Trailblazer. Hubby has a GMC Sierra pick up with diesel engine. I keep my cars a long time, at least 12 years. Right now I am on year 10 of my 2003 but I only have 42,000 miles. I mostly do local driving. Best of luck with your new Chevy!

ETA: Did I read your next post correctly? 50 years of married bliss? How wonderful! a 27 day cruise sounds so terribly exciting to me. The longest we've done are one week cruises. Hubby, however, would consider it torture. He hates cruising and so far has only been a good sport to make me happy. But 27 days? No way.
    We did a 17 day and I couldn't wait to get off the ship hubby was even worse around the 10 day mark
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post

My current car is a Saturn Vue. It's 12 years old and has 196,000 miles on it - and we're keeping it when we get the Equinox! I'd replace it with another Vue if Saturn (a GM company) were still in business.

Yes, 50 years of marriage and a 26-day cruise. We'd done several one-week cruises and took a chance on a 14-day round trip from L.A. to Hawaii. We joked that up until that time (2 years ago), we'd never been together 24/7 for 14 days, so we were hoping neither of us would pitch the other off in the middle of the ocean. It went well, so we're stretching out for a longer time!

Here's a link to the actual itinerary we'll be taking. Once we get across the ocean, there are ports almost every day. We're really excited!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    My current car is a Saturn Vue. It's 12 years old and has 196,000 miles on it - and we're keeping it when we get the Equinox! I'd replace it with another Vue if Saturn (a GM company) were still in business.

Yes, 50 years of marriage and a 26-day cruise. We'd done several one-week cruises and took a chance on a 14-day round trip from L.A. to Hawaii. We joked that up until that time (2 years ago), we'd never been together 24/7 for 14 days, so we were hoping neither of us would pitch the other off in the middle of the ocean. It went well, so we're stretching out for a longer time!

Here's a link to the actual itinerary we'll be taking. Once we get across the ocean, there are ports almost every day. We're really excited!
    Wow, that European cruise looks fantastic! As for your 14 day round trip LA to Hawaii - many years ago I sailed on a 36 foot boat from California to Hawaii. It took 3 weeks one way!

Did you enjoy that Pacific cruise? Was it different going east against the current? My trip was pretty easy as we had the waves behind us the whole way. We were surfing! I know that cruise ships are very different than that, but you were still out there in the middle of the ocean like I was...
    Last edited by Cootie; 03-14-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

AZ, that cruise looks amazing! There are so many great ports on the trip, not the average "beach" fare. And congrats on the new car. You sound like a lady after my own heart with ordering a car with exactly what you want in it even if you have to wait.
    AZChristian likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

That's going to be a super trip, AZ! The first week will be like a cruise - after that more like a floating hotel with all the ports.

Guernsey! Have you read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"? It's a charming book.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

That trip sounds great, AZC! Congratulations on hitting 50! We are coming up on that in another year--I think we are going to take our kids to an island off Key West as there will be at least on pre school grandchild, maybe 2 or more by then. Rather than having their parents be wrecks wondering if they went over the side as I envision a cruise...plus of course the concept is my Sig. Other's idea of hell... but it sounds great to me! I'm not sure how much of Paris you can see landing in Le Havre or London from Southhampton, but those are interesting places themselves. And Guernsey--cool!

We went through several iterations of Toyotas over the years, driving them for 10 years or so and passing them to a kid, but then the quality seemed to go down...now very happy with a Honda Accord Hybrid. But very glad you've been able to get what you want---very cool that you got the dealer to make the cloth power seats, etc. The definition of good news!

+ Reply to Thread