+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Share your good news

Got a PM from another FoRT member last week, commenting on something I'd said about my age and where I was from. She's a similar age and from the same area. After a couple of notes back and forth, we realized that we were not strangers: we've known each other for about 30 years! We went to the same Junior High (although we ran in different circles), and we even worked together as adults. We'd lost contact after that, but now we're back in touch. Thanks FoRT!

I have made it through my first trimester of teaching! My kids experienced their first awards assembly this week and it was great to see their excitement level at getting their awards. Right now I am in the midst of midterms, observations - both people watching me and me having to go to other schools, and IEPs. Never a dull moment. I am loving it, but my time is never really my own at the moment, the downside to being a full time teacher and full time student. Hope everyone on FORT is doing well.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

How wonderful for you!!
    So nice to see a teacher enjoying her / his job these days!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

JLuv, I think it's great that you're enjoying yourself!!!!

Congrats JLuv!
    Count your blessings!

This did not start as good news - I checked my bank account online this morning and found that $1,000 was withdrawn from my account due to a check that someone wrote to herself in another state. After much phone hassle, claims filed, holds on all my money, being told to go to my local bank and get a new account, I ended up at my local branch once it was open. While waiting for the banker, I took a harder look at the copy of the check that was written and noticed that the number was slightly different than mine. The banker noticed it, too. Within 10 seconds she had figured out how it happened and agreed that I didn't need to call anyone else and that she would fix it right there. She also agreed that those three call center people who took my info should have caught the error immediately and fixed it. My Thanksgiving prep time is used up, but nothing more than that.

Make sure you check your bank records often! This was a simple mistake where a teller omitted on digit on the check when entering the number - it was a 1 and it was in the fold of the check so it was easy to miss. I am so glad it wasn't a counterfeit check which we thought at first was the case.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Glad you got it all worked out, Cootie!

Great news, AZChristian and JLuvs!

I guess this counts as "good news."

My company was the target of some of the "Occupy Phoenix" folks, and we had about 60 police in full riot gear and helmets blockading the occupiers away from our building. It's a utility company, and 5 of the protesters managed to get into a public access portion of the customer service office and "chained" themselves together with PVC piping. Apparently it's a similar concept to those Chinese finger puzzles we had as kids - once you stick your arm into the PVC pipe, it can't be pulled out. So 5 of them formed a circle and stuck their arms into the pipes and couldn't be separated. The Fire Department finally brought in saws and cut the pipes, and we watched through a window as they were dragged out to the police van. They probably all got bonded out and were home before we were.

Anyway, the crowd dispersed shortly after the arrests . . . but it sure killed about 4 hours of productive work time for the hundreds of people in the building. I'm just glad my 4 hours of prayers were answered, "Please, Lord, don't let anyone get hurt during this!"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I never knew that about PVC pipe! I swear, I learn something new from FORT every day!
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I never knew that about PVC pipe! I swear, I learn something new from FORT every day!
    You can learn how to do anything on the internet! Apparently, this is how to make a human blockade using simple tools like PVC pipe and chains. Some of my friends in the department NEXT to the protesters said they could hear them screaming "You're hurting me" as the Fire Department used saws to cut them apart.

This was my first - and hopefully last - observation of an Occupy group.

+ Reply to Thread