+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree786Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Share your good news

Again, it goes to show that you never know what you can get unless you ask! Companies will usually bend over backward to keep their customers/clients happy! Personally, I am a huge fan of the offer/counter-offer, but a lot of times even that is not necessary, like on the cruise ship. These people will just about throw great deals at you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

I had some good news a few pages back, about being granted an "unofficial" senior bus pass, and how I could live with it. After a months use, turns out I can't live with it. Though not one driver or Sheriff has questioned it, I feel bad for the women my age who have taken care of their skin all these years. I've never used face cream or applied sunscreen to my face a day in my life, and it is wrong for me to be rewarded as a result. With the $54.00 I did save, it probably wouldn't hurt to invest in some Lady Clairol and some Oil of Olay.

lopevian, I think you are missing the target. You shouldn't feel comfortable accepting the senior bus pass because you aren't a senior, not because you neglected to use sun protection or moisturizers in your younger days! As a kid going to new attractions, my dad never once altered my age to get me in for less. He explained to me that if he (and others) were to have done that, then the attraction would lose the revenue it needed to stay open. Same holds true for the bus service. When you get to be a senior, you are going to earn the entitlement to board for less, but if you and others abuse the system now, that privilege might not be available to you when you do, in fact, reach your golden years.
    Photobabe likes this.

MRD

Someone else is subsidizing that discount. I don't mind doing that now for real seniors because I hope to be able to use it someday while someone subsidizes my discount when I'm a senior.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Good news worthy of sharing anytime is that laughter really and truly is the best medicine. It's good for mind, body and soul. Seek it out...everywhere all the time!

I don't know, Lope,...I think I'd rather have the pass now when I can enjoy it rather than later when I might not be able to enjoy it!

It was tempting to continue the farce, famita, believe me. Amused to say that I am now back to the "aren't you a senior?" questions. I smile, and say "no, I just look like one". In addition to a life long aversion to greasy stuff on my face, I also lost weight three years ago. The loss made my face cave in! I'm cool with it, though. Wrinkles do not cause health problems, so it was a great trade.

I will admit to having fun with this prune face of mine, however. I happen to be in very good physical condition (I walk a lot). What I can still do with my body does not match up with my face. It trips people out to see me ascending the subway steps two at a time. Hopefully I will inspire someone to take good care of themselves, so they, too, can make quick work of stairs when they're "that senior lady's age".
    prhoshay, Bunny555 and KatesMom like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I love people who choose to see that silver lining!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I teach probability and statistics to second year engineering students. I've been complaining about the selection of textbooks since I started teaching this course 3 years ago. One of the publishers contacted me and asked if I'd be willing to sit down with them and develop a new text--with applied engineering examples and problems. I'm so overwhelmed but I think I would really enjoy developing a text that covers the material in a concise and practical manner. I may have found my calling!!!
    Ellen and AZChristian like this.
    Don't let the small things sweat

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose View Post
    I teach probability and statistics to second year engineering students. I've been complaining about the selection of textbooks since I started teaching this course 3 years ago. One of the publishers contacted me and asked if I'd be willing to sit down with them and develop a new text--with applied engineering examples and problems. I'm so overwhelmed but I think I would really enjoy developing a text that covers the material in a concise and practical manner. I may have found my calling!!!
    That is fantastic! What a great opportunity and challenge - and a great compliment to you. Congrats!

+ Reply to Thread