+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree782Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Good luck with your class JLuvs! I thought of you (and the other FoRTer teachers) when I read this:

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued,” What’s a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?" To stress his point, he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
    I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 minutes without an iPod, Game Cube or movie rental.
    You want to know what I make? (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table).
    I make kids wonder.
    I make them question.
    I make them apologize and mean it.
    I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
    I teach them to write and then I make them write something worthwhile. Keyboarding isn’t everything.
    I make them read, read, read.
    I make them show all their work in math. They use their brain, not the man-made calculator.
    I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know about English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
    I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.
    Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were born with, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life. (Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, not knowing that money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention to them because they are ignorant. You want to know what I make? I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

What do you make, Mr. CEO?

The CEO's jaw dropped, and he went silent.
    Ellen, JLuvs and just1paul like this.
    Don't let the small things sweat

Spoose,

Thank you for posting that.
    I get so sick and tired of the people who can only equate success with monetary achievement.
    Ellen likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Spoose - that was so cool, and so true. I have repeatedly said I think it is such a sad state of affairs that sports figures and movie stars make millions of dollars and yet those charged with educating our future make duckets! I don't get it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Copied Spoose's post and sent it around the country. Now, we're all in a discussion about teachers that have inspired us, one way or the other....good or bad. Spoose, thanks for the conversation-fodder! I'm learning things about friends that I've never known, or even thought about, before!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

About a year ago, I received the best gift ever in the form of a Facebook post. It was from one of my former students -- one from my first year of teaching; she was in my high school French 3 class. It was a very small class (the French teacher I replaced had a high attrition rate) -- only six students, all girls. I wasn't much older than they. There was something really special about that class -- really, the best one ever.

Thanks to FB, we've been able to reconnect. One of the girls -- okay, women -- is now a teacher.

Last year, she wrote that her experience in my class that year was what inspired her to become a teacher.

That is priceless!
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

That IS priceless, Ellen. Sometimes I think teachers forget about the impact they have on their students. Some good - some bad. You must feel really great to know you've had such a positive impact someone's life.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom View Post
    That IS priceless, Ellen. Sometimes I think teachers forget about the impact they have on their students. Some good - some bad. You must feel really great to know you've had such a positive impact someone's life.
    I do. Yet, as priceless as it is for our profession, the reality is that housing, healthcare, retirement, and all the rest do carry a hefty pricetag. Grateful, yes. Doormat, no.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ellen,

What a lovely tribute that is!!

I wish more people in this world would realize how priceless our teachers are!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

My daughter found out she is having a boy!!!! We are so excited. Baby shower plans are in the works using an owl theme: Boy's are a hoot. Invitations say: who? Who? Who's having a baby.
    Am helping my daughters friend make the invitations and decorations.

Arlo Jacob is due to arrive in mid January.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

LOVE the name choice! SOOOOOO much better than Apple or Avocado!

+ Reply to Thread