+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree680Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    I'm on vacation! Will probably be heading home to Tennessee to visit over the weekend. Bought a new smart phone last week (T-Mobile Sidekick) so maybe I can figure it out while on vacation this week.
    Just got the new HTC Inspire. It rivals the iphone! I LOVE IT! Very easy to figure out and now I can't stay off the dang thing!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I just wanted to share that we locked down a house to rent. Signing the lease Monday.

It's not in an ideal location & the house is subpar in many ways. But there are some real nice things about it - not the least of which a guarantee we won't be put out on the street after we're served 30 days notice to vacate this house.

I'm not happy about being forced to "settle," but an enormous weight that has been overwhelming me for days has been lifted. I've been crying every day and having headaches. Well, I'm crying right now but mostly out of profound relief. This has been one of the worst situations I've ever faced.

The house is a charming stone home with a working fireplace and plenty of room. The main thing we're not happy about is the kitchen. It was built almost as an afterthought, with a teensy tiny double sink that I'm sure was taken from a trailer and sits so low, even my 5'2" shortness will have to crouch or sit in a chair to use. We'll be talking to the landlord about maybe letting us put in a set-in sink cabinet with a normal sized basin (here we go again - improving upon yet another rental at no expense to the landlord).

But there is plenty of room, our pets are welcome, the price is right, it's a 19 mile drive to work for my husband vs. the 31 miles he drives now.

And there are chipmunks and bunnies.

I promise not to whine (too much) about actually MOVING now...

Thanks all who have seen and responded to my posts elsewhere on here.

I'm so happy Fierce Critter!! I've been worried about you. I know it's hard when you're out on your ear and don't want to settle. I was in the exact same situation with 3 pets when my move fell through last year, but I had already sold my house. You were very lucky to find the one family house that you wanted that allows your pets. If putting in a sink is all it takes to make it functional, I'd say that's a bargain. And who knows? Maybe the landlord will pay for the sink if you do the labor. Can't hurt to ask. Yay!!!!
    Count your blessings!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    If putting in a sink is all it takes to make it functional, I'd say that's a bargain. And who knows? Maybe the landlord will pay for the sink if you do the labor. Can't hurt to ask. Yay!!!!
    Thank you, GM.

We are avid yard sale goers. The house we're going to be vacating sports two brand-new high efficiency toilets ($5.00 each, removed from brand-new builds where the new owner had handicapped-specific toilets installed), a brand-new range hood ($5.00 from a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store), a Price Pfister faucet set ($10.00 from Goodwill), as well as other improvements we've done.

I'm thinking it'll be pretty easy to come across a tear-out from someone doing home improvements either at a yard sale or off Freecycle. Maybe even the Re-Store.

Yay, Fierce!!
    So glad to see you posting in this thread rather tahn the other one.

Have a great holiday!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

So glad to hear this.

FORT Fogey

Glad to hear the good news, Fierce Critter.

I have been absent from FORT for some time now. Was in the hospital for 16 days with double pneumonia plus massive fungal invasion of bronchials and lungs.
    Was put into medically induced coma with machines running my body while the docs tried to figure out what to combat first.
    Been home for a couple weeks now. Had to learn to walk again, still extremely weak but steadily getting better.
    I'm just so grateful to have overcome the odds my family was given: only 20%chance of living through it. Coming that close to dying really changes your perspective on life, to say the least.
    Now I need to "fatten up" but am finding it's just as hard to put on weight as it was most of my life to lose weight!!
    The only advice I have is if you ever feel tightness in your chest or difficulty in breathing, don't put off seeing a doctor or assume it'll go away. Pneumonia can sneak up on you before you even realize how serious it is.

Oh Dragonlady! I'm so sorry you've had to go through this, but incredilby glad you pulled through (20% chance of survivial!!!). Will you be able to come here regularly now? I ask because there is no better support system than the folks here at FORT. I know it's no joking matter, but I wish I could help you put that weight back on... baked potatoes with sour cream, bagels and cream cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, milkshakes...mmm. Most people can only dream about eating all that with impunity. If I had your address I'd send you a gift card to McDonalds. Big Mac with french fries and a real (not diet) Coke. Love you, sister. Keep us posted!
    Count your blessings!

Dragonlady - all I can do is echo Gutmutter's post! Welcome back and eat eat eat. Ice cream based malted milks.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread