+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4108455;
    That IS good news Columbia! Thanks for bumping this topic. My good news is that life just keeps getting better and better. I continue to be thrilled with my new house... I now have a piano and my mom sent me my childhood music from all my piano lessons. I'm buying a wood stove this weekend and hope to have it all installed and inspected to enjoy by Thanksgiving. I've been healthy. I've gotten a second wind at work after feeling a little burned out last year. This year I'm really enjoying my students... even my two large classes of 5th graders. Teaching them is like teaching a classroom of cats - they're never all looking the same direction at the same time. My friends have all been supportive of my house search and all think I've found the most charming and delightful cottage. I am filled with love and wonder every time I sit by my back picture window looking out at the woods with the meadow and mountain behind and birds flitting to my feeder. I've read two REALLY good books on my Kindle recently (recommend Room to anyone who will listen). And I come to the FORT daily to commune with friends and stimulate my brain.
    I can really relate to that part of your good news. We also moved at the end of January, wanting the perfect house to live out the rest of our years....hopefully that'll be a long long time from now!
    The back of the house is mostly glass windows presenting us everyday with wonderful relaxing views of giant oaks, lots of green and the mountains beyond. I'm a happy thankful girl.

This past week was parent-teacher conference/report card week for my tutees. All of them did well (not a single grade below a "B"), and several earned straight A's -- well outshining their native-English speaker classmates! I'm so proud of them.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

That's great Ellen! I'm sure your tutoring was a major factor. I can't say enough about the tutor I hired for my son when we got back from South America. He knew NO French at all (but spoke Spanish) and ended up with the second highest mark in his class. Hats off to great teachers

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4109166;
    OK, I'll chime in. After gradually increasing up and down knee pain over years my doc talked me into a getting a shot in the knee (corticosteroid?) to reduce the inflamation (arthritis is the basic problem), and it may be my imagination, but I swear it feels much better. Now if they only had them for ankles and hips... or maybe they do, I"ll have to ask.
    May I ask when this was? I have severe arthritis in both knees and nothing short of knee replacement will help. A fall which lead to fractures in the foot and ankle left me incapacitated for months. After 3 months of p/t I am getting around better with a cane but the knee problem is worse. Last Thursday ( a week ago) my orthopedist gave me a cortisone shot in both knees. By that evening I was feeling better. The next day I felt great. I continued to feel fantastic over last weekend and was getting around so much better. But alas, the relief was short-lived and by Sunday evening I was back to my usual pain and hobbling around.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer and sincerely hope the cortisone shots give you longer lasting relief. I was hoping to be at least a few months free of pain, and not just 3 days.

Oh no, that's a shame. My mother has severe knee problems like you describe eastcoastmom. In her case the cortisone really helped and lasted a long time, but the trade off was that her blood sugars went sky high for a long time as well, so they're not going to do them any more.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fan

My 14yr DD is at the movies - seeing Harry Potter with her friends, I dropped her off

She texts me - Mom, a guy here claims to be Howie from Big Brother - is he pulling our leg? I of course text back and even sent her a pic I capp'd from his website -

IT IS INDEED Howie Gordon!!

She says he was really nice, talked to her for 15 min (since she only occasionally watches Big Brother) they talked about BigFoot (of all things!!)

I guess this is really my DD good news! She got to see HP with her father (daddy daughter date) at midnight, and then I let her go with her friends today!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4109525;
    .............I don't want to be a Debbie Downer and sincerely hope the cortisone shots give you longer lasting relief. I was hoping to be at least a few months free of pain, and not just 3 days.

Hey, ECM -- I had cortisone shots in my hands several times; I did it for the pain and only right before we were going on a vacation so I could enjoy my time away. Like you, my results did not last too long. Everyone has a different reaction to those shots and for some the relief is long-lasting and for others, not. I ended up having hand surgery in the end because I can't take any NSAIDs or Cox-2 inhibitors, and it was the only solution. Not fun recoveries, but in the end it was the best thing for me.

How funny! Howie was one of the funniest houseguests ever.

I got my Hearthstone soapstone woodstove today! It was going to take 6 weeks for them to deliver and install it and would have cost $600. So I got a friend to help me get it here and now I have to get someone to hook it up for me. Anyone here ever hook up a wood stove from scratch? I have a chimney pipe coming in the wall. It seems like all I would need is a vertical pipe, an elbow, and a horizontal pipe. Is it something I could do myself, or does it require a professional?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4109515;
    That's great Ellen! I'm sure your tutoring was a major factor. I can't say enough about the tutor I hired for my son when we got back from South America. He knew NO French at all (but spoke Spanish) and ended up with the second highest mark in his class. Hats off to great teachers
    Tu es québecoise? Je savais que tu es canadienne -- mais français -- cela me dit que vous habitez à Québec. Je voudrais bien y aller un jour...
    =============================

Re: knee problems --
    Arthritis runs in my family, and the damned thing has hit my knees. No surprise, as my mom has had two knee-replacement surgeries. (She did great for awhile, but after a decade or so, she's back to hobbling with a walker. Then again, she's 73.) She was able to delay surgery on her second knee for a good number of years by taking glucosamine/chondroitin in whatever amount was recommended by her doctor.

So, several years ago, I took the g/c pills in the amount recommended by my doctor. Worked great for awhile, then stopped. I started to use the same dose, but in liquid form. The brand name is Elations. It works. My knees used to sound like popcorn popping whenever I'd stand up; now they hardly ever pop at all. And when we have a weather change, the outrageous pain and "giving out" feeling is gone -- just twinge-y at worst. I think the liquid absorbs better than the pills -- at least with me. It's a little pricey -- between $8 and $10 -- for a week's worth. However, with our crappy healthcare system, it's way less expensive than the combined costs of surgery, physical therapy, and lost work/pay. (I'd be able to do my afternoon tutoring and Skype lessons, but my main work -- the EFL school-without-walls teaching/coaching -- involves walking a minimum of 5K per day. So having to be off my feet is not an option if I don't want to end up homeless.)
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-19-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Love hearing everyone's good news. As far as the health concerns, there's always a solution that works well for someone. Hope everyone's health continues to improve!

My good news continues. I'm still happy with my move. I'm learning to compromise. I still love my job. My oldest and his wife are in Europe for Thanksgiving-I asked for postcards and pictures. My youngest moved to NC. Life continues to be good. My mom fell and had a piece of her shoulder bone split off-she's healing nicely and is able to drive for short distances again.

+ Reply to Thread