+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

FORT Fogey

Re: Share your good news

Rattus -- my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. May you find healing and be returned to good health.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, so now I am sitting with my mouth agape. So far, I (personally) haven't had to deal with anything like this, so I am in awe of your attitude. You have my deepest respect and concern. Congratulations on all of your silver linings and your ability to see them. I believe in acknowledging silver linings, for my own mental health. I wish more people were able to get to your mindset. My thoughts are with you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4087136;
    I couldn't decide whether to post this here or in the troubles thread, so being the sort of person I am, I've decided to post here.

I have cancer. Not the best news, certainly, but it appears to be low-grade which is much better news than it could be. Also, the hospital I will be treated at is one of the best cancer hospitals in the world (Princess Margaret Hospital), they will be operating on the double hernia at the same time, all costs are covered by our universal insurance, and my company will pay my salary for 17 weeks while I'm out, at which point it kicks over to long-term disability insurance for the duration.

Also, our mortgage was paid off last week, I got a raise this week, I received a $1,000 bonus for being a solid employee (which is truly surprising considering what a crap job I've done this year - I really haven't felt well for a while), my boss replaced the Kobo she thought she had lost and gave it to me when she found the missing item, and I won an iPod in, ironically, the Princess Margaret lottery.

And a big thanks to the hernia. The tumour would never have been discovered if I didn't get the scan to confirm the hernia because I thought I was going through menopause. As my co-worker says, I'm "just lucky enough".
    You are lucky to have found it and be covered to treat it. I hope all goes well and you're back on your feet soon. Keep us posted as things go along.
    Count your blessings!

Rattus, I hope your cancer is one that responds to treatment really well. I think your co-worker is right, and good for you on making lemonade with those lemons.
    Other good news on the same line-- Mom has been 3 years now and her cancers have grown by only an inch or so; they don't cause pain and at this rate may never get big enough to do so.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Rattus - I so admire your attitude; your mindset is just as strong a force as modern medicine.
    You'll continue to be in my thoughts... take care.

Thanks for everyone's appreciation of my whistling-past-the-graveyard reaction to my problems . Honestly, I am not someone who needs sympathy - I am a how-can-this-be-fixed sort of gal. And since we're doing what we can to fix things, I prefer not to be sorrowful for the duration. It just makes things feel worse than they need to, whereas laughing helps. It makes one feel better and it actually has health benefits, and health benefits are something I am apparently in need of at the moment. And that being said, I hope to hell the Monk boxset I ordered gets here soon.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Blessings, Rattus.

I am that kind of gal, too.

"Just" a temporary pesky bump in the road.

That said, there are big shoulders if you ever need them.

I do love your sense of humor (which can be a healing tool).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Rattus, way to take things in stride. Get better soon - that Monk boxset and ipod will come in handy during your recuperation.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

All the best Rattus. Kick it in the butt! Princess Margaret is a great hospital with fantastic doctors. Hey, I won a camera in that lottery! I hope your surgery goes well and that boxed set shows up soon. I know you don't need sympathy, but you're getting a anyways

Gee Rattus, Sending hugs, well wishes and laughter your way.

+ Reply to Thread