+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Congratulations everyone on your (or your family's) successes!!

That's wonderful, AZChristian! My Mom has tried to teach me to crochet over the years but I just don't seem to have the patience to stay with it until it gets easier. You will display that blue ribbon with pride!

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. I, too, had a very positive experience with my elementary librarian, who introduced me to many books that I still treasure to this day. I hope I can settle in and get to know the kids and help them love books like I do.

I know it's a real blessing to have those benefits for a 20 hour week. I hope when the contract comes up they won't disappear.
    Thanks again, everyone!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Thanks, sweetpea.

I'm so happy for your new job. Those benefits are SO important! I was fortunate to retire from a company that is part unionized, and salaried employees got the same benefits that the union negotiated for the union workers. And whatever benefits were in effect when you were hired are the ones you get upon retirement.

The biggest benefit for me is that my husband and I are both covered under the company's BC/BS coverage (secondary for him, as he's old enough to be on Medicare). And we pay $0 for our premiums. Knowing what some folks pay for their insurance, we NEVER take that benefit for granted!

The best part of this job, for me, is that I can still be here at home for the girls after they get out of school, and in the mornings. They are just turning 10, and I think they will need me around even more than ever as they negotiate the "tween" and teen years. I'm so glad I can have the best of both worlds, a job I enjoy and the opportunity to be here for my girls.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4085357;
    ...And we pay $0 for our premiums. Knowing what some folks pay for their insurance, we NEVER take that benefit for granted!
    You're very lucky. We pay close to $600 per month for my BC/BS alone through my husband's company. (His employer pays for most of his premiums and none of mine. Plus, rather than distinguishing between "spouse/partner only" and "spouse/partner + kids," we have to pay the same for just me as the people who have a gazillion kids -- so, essentially a double premium for one who learned early on how to use birth control. Grrr. I don't mind paying my premium; I do mind the double premium for brats I don't have.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

My old insurance was like that, Ellen. I paid the same premium for my husband and myself as the guy I worked next to, who had a wife and 5 kids. Not really fair. The insurance we have now is just on my hubby and me, would be extra for kids. Our premium is $106 every paycheck, and it's pretty good insurance, so I'm not going to complain. There are plenty without any, and as I learned when I was laid off.....there but for the grace of God go I.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

I am so thankful to have insurance. Our company has the option of a premium for employee. Employee + domestic partner and Employee, domestic partner and kids and the premiums are different for all 3.

I am so thankful to have insurance. I was on the "pray you don't get sick plan" before Sept of this year.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

We are also grateful to have insurance.

As seniors, we have Medicare plus my hubby is retired from the federal government and we have that also. However, we have been paying "family" rate all the time we've been married, which is 50 years. Our last child turned 22 in 1994, still in college and dependent on us, and we had to buy him separate insurance until he graduated and got a job.

And we are still paying "family" rate, although it is just the two of us. As I am a dependent on his government policy, there is no way we can have two individual policies. Fair? I think not.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Fair would be universal healthcare, but that's another thread. Since we don't have that I'm willing to share the pain (and create a bigger insurance pool) and help make sure our future voters have a healthy childhood--in my own long term self interest if they grow up healthy and strong and able to work. But I admit we are not living close to the bone--if we were maybe I wouldn't feel so generous.
    Count me as another who is SO greatful to have good healthcare, and even a good prescription plan.

MRD

My daughter was invited to pledge Phi Beta Kappa today. We are so proud of her!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread