+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

I visited an old co worker of mine just before Xmas. He was in bad shape, and awaiting a double lung transplant. He was hoping sometime in Jan/Feb as he was on the waiting list for awhile. We continued emailing back and forth with a promise that if he "got the call" he would send a group email to all his friends so we knew what was happening and which hospital he would be going to. Sometime in March, no more emails.

No one answering his phone, his children live out of the country so we had no idea where to reach them. In the meantime another old cowowrker advised us she heard he had his transplant but didn't know any other details.

Yesterday I got a joke email from him! I didn't know if I should be happy or give him crap. I responded asking him what the heck happened, and did he have his transplant.

He responded by saying he had his double lung transplant, the end of March, was in an induced coma for 1 month, and just got home from the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and wondered where his get well card was. He feels like a million bucks, and is so grateful to his donor! His children came home from out of the country to look after him for a month.

I'm going to visit him next week, as I've been a huge supporter of organ donating for years, I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Wow! That's pretty major! Hope it all goes well for him.
    I was talking to another teacher on my floor this morning. Her mother has Alzheimers so she's opening her mail and just discovered she has a sister who was put up for adoption when her mom was 14! Up til now she's been an only child. Crazy!
    Count your blessings!

MRD

GReat news GA. I am so glad he feels so great and is doing so well. I am a proponent of organ donation as well.

Wow, Gut, that would be a shock wouldn't it? Is she happy about it? Going to try to find the sister?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

If there weren't already enough reasons to take personal care of our loved ones with Altzheimer's, it is surprising the stuff you learn about family history once the censorship part of the brain starts to slip. We learned absolutely stunning things about my Sig. Other's family when my MIL began to go.... Plus after she died and we went through the old mail she'd ceased sorting we found extra unknown bank account statements... and a Hershey bar sized chunk of solid silver, just in with what looked like junk mail.
    I do admit though, that an unknown sister tops it all!

My aunt had alzheimers and when she was in the latter stages of it she told her daughter that the man she thought was her father wasn't and told her who it was. She was so shocked. My mother knew about it and had told me but never told her niece and as her niece was nearing 60 hopes of finding the dad was gone. He had passed away. Sadly my mother now has alzheimers but we are fortunate she is on meds that has slowed it down. We know there will come a day that she may start telling deep dark secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3936236;
    GReat news GA. I am so glad he feels so great and is doing so well. I am a proponent of organ donation as well.

Wow, Gut, that would be a shock wouldn't it? Is she happy about it? Going to try to find the sister?
    They've been in contact and plan to meet next month. C. looked up her up on facebook and says she looks just like her mom. She copied the picture and saved it with a picture of her mom side-by-side to show her husband. The next day, the sister had changed her facebook picture and was wearing the exact same shirt as the one in her mother's picture so they practically looked like twins! *cue Twilight Zone music*
    Count your blessings!

That's an amazing story Gut. My BIL's neice just had something similar happen, last summer. She gave up a boy for adoption, teenage pregnancy. She's 45 now. Married, two children of her own, late teens. Her husband children knew about it but it was never really talked about.

This boy, now 28yrs old had been looking for her for years. He found her, contacted her, made arrangements to meet with his adoptive parents. He has grown up to be a fine young man, spitten image of his birth mother, looks alot like her children and has the same mannerism as her. It has been an absolute joy for all parties involved. She comes from an Italian family, and he was adopted into an Italian family and therefore they all speak Italian.

They had a big family reunion so her 4 brothers and 1 sister,all married with kids of their own, plus the young man's adoptive parents and their families could all meet.

He only lives an hour away and he and his adoptive family are always included in any family functions.

Brought tears to my eyes when I was told of the events as they occured.

A friend of mine JUST NOW got confirmation that her birth mother has been found. Since it was a closed adoption, she hired a PI to find her. He spoke to her yesterday and arranged for them to get together. She has a younger half sister and she and the birth mom's husband have always known there was another daughter/sister out there. So happy for her. She was adopted by a great family but wanted to find her to find out medical/health history. I hope the meeting goes well!

I spoke to my friend on the phone today! We talked for over an hour. First of all, he has a crazy sense of humour and all you do is laugh when you are with him or talk to him. I've known him for 30 yrs and he hasn't changed.

I'm going to visit with him the week after next, however, what a conversation we had! He will never forget taking that first breath after they removed all the tubes, and realized he was breathing on his own.

He told me he definately feels he is not the same person. He is suddenly eating banana's, something he's never liked, he feels like he's having a conversation with someone else all the time. He bumped into the corner couch, and apologized out loud! He doesn't cuss at all anymore, and thinks its a bad thing, where as he never held back before. There's so much more, my mind is blank right now.

I've seen specials on this sort of thing, and I'm just amazed. We had such a good laugh, I'm looking forward to the visit!

I just attended my 35th HS reunion and had a ball. I'd only kept in close contact w/3-4 girls over the years. It was wonderful sitting and talking to people. Some of us are on that social-networking site and have talked recently, but others,...it was like night and day. One guy said to me "so, who are you?" I was wearing a name tag at the time. When I told him, he said "you look just like your mother!" I wanted to say, so why did you have to ask, but I didn't. For the most part, it was great. I'm an observer and had my most fun watching people. One guy came up to me and thanked me for not kissing him on a date....thirty-five years ago! How weird!

+ Reply to Thread