+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

In just over an hour or so, the Olympic Torch will run by about a block from my house. Unfortunately, I'll be at work, but I think that's pretty cool. The run by my kid's elementary school too, so the entire school will be outside to see it go by. I know there is a lot of controversy over the Olympics here in BC, the cost, etc. but I'm still a sap enough that I get a little choked up thinking about it going across the country making it's way to Vancouver. I just hope to see the leg that Trevor Linden runs on the news, as he's my favourite Canadian athlete...just love him, and I'm so proud they asked him to run it for a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3808602;
    In just over an hour or so, the Olympic Torch will run by about a block from my house. Unfortunately, I'll be at work, but I think that's pretty cool. The run by my kid's elementary school too, so the entire school will be outside to see it go by. I know there is a lot of controversy over the Olympics here in BC, the cost, etc. but I'm still a sap enough that I get a little choked up thinking about it going across the country making it's way to Vancouver. I just hope to see the leg that Trevor Linden runs on the news, as he's my favourite Canadian athlete...just love him, and I'm so proud they asked him to run it for a leg.
    The Oly torch ran a block away from my house in 1984. I was 13 at the time and thought it was pretty dang cool.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

MRD

We saw the torch on the 4th of July just before the games in Atlanta. It was soooo cool.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

An ex boyfriend of mine got to shake hands with the torch carrier back in '84 when it was coming through. He was pretty excited back then.
    I'd venture to guess he wouldn't be as excited now. Sadly, the torch carrier was OJ. :nono

Sweetpea,
    I do think it's a very exciting moment, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Well, the girls got a really good view of it as it ran by their elementary school. Apparently they were more excited, though, by the car that came before it with a big electric sign on the top that said "The Torch is Coming!" - go figure. It was a beautiful sunny day here too, so the weather couldn't be better. Just starting to get excited that the Olympics are starting so soon in Vancouver. Now if they could just get some SNOW.

My home computer is now virus free! I'm so happy to be able to post when I want instead of sneaking to post at work.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3808973;
    We saw the torch on the 4th of July just before the games in Atlanta. It was soooo cool.
    The torch for those games went through my town in the spring leading up to the games, and my friend's mom picked my friend and me up from school for a couple hours so that we could watch the runner go by with the torch. One runner's leg ended near where we were standing and he let us hold the torch, and at age 12, I thought that was so unbelievably cool.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3809059;
    Well, the girls got a really good view of it as it ran by their elementary school. Apparently they were more excited, though, by the car that came before it with a big electric sign on the top that said "The Torch is Coming!" - go figure. It was a beautiful sunny day here too, so the weather couldn't be better. Just starting to get excited that the Olympics are starting so soon in Vancouver. Now if they could just get some SNOW.
    We're getting snow this weekend. Won't help you guys.
    How exciting for your girls, even if they thought the sign was cooler.

I can't wait for the Olympics. I LOVE the Olympics
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I agree-there's nothing cooler than the Olympics! Almost two weeks of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3809552;
    The torch for those games went through my town in the spring leading up to the games, and my friend's mom picked my friend and me up from school for a couple hours so that we could watch the runner go by with the torch. One runner's leg ended near where we were standing and he let us hold the torch, and at age 12, I thought that was so unbelievably cool.
    I think that would be pretty cool at any age.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread