+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

I'm late to the trip to HI conversation, but I just have to add a comment on it.
    Sweetpea, I too think you will have a fantastic time in Oahu. I have not been there since I was young, but I have wonderful memories of evenings walking from the hotel to a restaurant and browsing in all the shops along the way. If you get the chance, Hanauma Bay is a wonderful experience whether you are snorkeling, swimming, or just hanging out in the surf. You can grab a bag of frozen peas to take with you and the fish will swim right up and take them out of your hand!

On the topic of Spam, my home state is the second largest consumer. Anchorage has a popular bar with some interesting Spam dishes on its menu (as noted by the Spam icon next to the description ).
    Mr. Whitekeys' Fly By Night Club - Welcome to the sleaziest bar in Spenard, Alaska! - Dinner Menu

ETA - Sweetpea, it sounds like Hanauma Bay is more tightly controlled that it was when I was last there, so I'm not sure if the rules have changed, but there is some good info at this site if you have not already visited it... Venturing to the back side of Oahu's Diamond Head - Great Escapes
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-12-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks, ClosetRTWatcher! I did check out Hanauma Bay's site...we definitely plan to go there. We've already bought the girls some kid's snorkeling sets from Costco that are great! I'm glad you have such great memories of going there as a child. We're hoping this is the first of many, many trips we take with the girls. I'm a HUGE English Lit fan (my major in Uni) so we have a trip to England in the sights some day. I told Mr. S I want to make an authentic Jane Austen style dress and walk up and down the streets of Bath...is that weird??

Only 55 days to go to Hawaii!! Now just wish we didn't have the extra security and carry-on rules to deal with. I'm worried about our 1.5 hr connection in Vancouver. Hope it's calmed down by March or is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3794516;
    I'm a HUGE English Lit fan (my major in Uni) so we have a trip to England in the sights some day. I told Mr. S I want to make an authentic Jane Austen style dress and walk up and down the streets of Bath...is that weird??
    Some people may think so, but I just got a little bit jealous!
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;3796667;
    Some people may think so, but I just got a little bit jealous!
    We are a strange lot, aren't we? Just finished watching the four part BBC show Lost in Austen where a modern girl from London who is a huge fan of P&P finds a portal and goes into the book, meets all the characters, and royally screws things up. It was great!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I tentatively did our taxes today. I say "tentatively" because we opted not to pay taxes on my husband's unemployment income, and I was sure we'd end up owing a ton to both Federal and State.

Nope. We're getting a very nice refund from Federal, and only owe State a tiny bit, which will be deducted from our refund.

I'm not sure I can adequately explain how much we needed this. This is money desperately needed to finance us through our move from Michigan to Minnesota at the beginning of March. Now my husband doesn't have to sell his camera or laptop, and we don't have to worry about how to get utilities turned-on or feeding ourselves until mid-March when he'd get his first post-move Unemployment check.

Wonderful news for you FC! Here's hoping things go well for you as soon as your move is completed!

That is good news Fierce Critter. I still have to do my taxes but the place I work always waits until the last possible second to give us our W-2's.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Thanks, Famita & Lil Bit.

Lil Bit, I hope they get it to you by the end of January. From what I hear, it's law. But I haven't any proof to back that up.

Yep, that's the law, but they legally have until Jan 31 to get them out.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3805109;
    Yep, that's the law, but they legally have until Jan 31 to get them out.
    Does not mean they do. I have received late W2's from several employers over the years. You can lodge a complaint, but nothing will come of it. The IRS doesn't enforce this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread