+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

FORT Fogey

Re: Share your good news

SWEETPEA -- Please don't let this person ruin your vacation!!

January 2008 we went to Hawai'i, took a cruise around the islands, and ended up in the Waikiki beach area for three days. There is so much to do and see on the island. Even just the idea of lying on the sand and vegging is appealing. Google "Waikiki Beach" and explore the possibilities. The trip to the USS Arizona is the greater part of a day and is not to be missed. It is a once in a lifetime experience to see this memorial. Also I believe the Polynesian Cultural Center is on the same island. That also is an all-day and evening experience and is great for kids and adults.

Most people only get one or two chances in their life to go to Hawai'i. Enjoy it for all it's worth!!

I dislike snobby type people. I have dropped many of the from my "friends" collection.

sweetpea, I think that's your friends way of saying "i'm a world traveller and i know all the great spots" sorta thing. Don't let those negative comments bring you down, go start putting something aside that you'll want to take with you, a book, or suntan lotion!!!

Thanks so much, everyone! You're right, we don't get to go on vacation often so I will not let other people's idea of what is a good place or bad place ruin it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3776265;
    Well, this post isn't exactly good news but it's in reference to my earlier post about finally going on a real trip to Hawaii this spring break with my hubby and daughters. I told a good friend, who recently came back from two weeks in Maui. Her response was less than thrilled for me...more like horrified that I would go to Waikiki. She kept asking "why are you going there" and said I would "hate it." What a downer. This is a lovely woman, and a good friend, but they are a bit more affluent than we are, and regularly holiday in France, or boutique resorts in Mexico, or Maui. We can't affort a $10,000 vacation but were thrilled to be able to go anywhere warm and tropical, and I've never been to Hawaii so I am super excited. There must be some reason people to to Oahu, right??
    President Obama is from Oahu, making it by far the coolest place to be in HI these days -- so tell your friend that, SP!
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

The President is on the North Shore of Oahu right now -- raising it's profile as we speak. In terms of tourism, that undeniably matters. This also is the 'Share your good news' thread and Sweetpea had her's deflated by a friend who just came back from coveted Maui. I suggested something to reframe the news again in a positive light in a somewhat joking manner since I've been to all the islands and they are all beautiful. Perhaps we can now get back to sharing good news, again.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3774653;
    I found the Le Creuset 4.5 qt French Oven (Dutch oven) that my husband has been drooling over -- in his preferred color! -- for half price at Tuesday Morning today. He's going to be so-o-o-o-o-o happy on Christmas morning! There's no way I would have been able to afford it, even at the discount cooking store. This way, I came in right smack at my budget.
    How'd your DH like it, Ellen? My Grandfather loves to cook too! That's a pretty nice deal, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3777876;
    How'd your DH like it, Ellen? My Grandfather loves to cook too! That's a pretty nice deal, isn't it?
    He loves it and has already been cooking it it -- starting just a few hours after opening it on Xmas day. He's amazed at how evenly things cook and how quick and thorough deglazing is -- heck, he even likes how easy it is to clean. Huge, HUGE difference from our old el cheapo Dutch oven. And I like the yummy stuff he's been making. We both love it!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3777779;
    President Obama is from Oahu, making it by far the coolest place to be in HI these days -- so tell your friend that, SP!
    thanks Chris!!

Sweetpea, We all are thrilled for you and will anxiously be awaiting your pictures!!!

+ Reply to Thread