+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

  1. #6501
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3719153;
    This experience has also helped me communicate with my kids regarding education. My son-in-law (26 yo) decided to attend a non-accredited business school because he "wants to own his own business" someday. I had to talk with him (couldn't hold myself back) about possibly deciding what kind of business he would like to own.....I can just hear the kid saying, "I'm tired of working for the man...." And "I'll show them!" Well....at least my daughter has a job that supports their three kids.
    My husband has had his own business off and on for some time. As he likes to say: when you own your own business, you shouldn't have to work but half a day. 12 hours is enough for anyone.

    Working for yourself can be a lot harder than working for "the man". LOnger hours, less pay, more headaches. But it can be very rewarding as well. I wish him luck.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  2. #6502
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: Share your good news

    My company presented a check to Nationwide Children's Hospital yesterday for $50,000. That is what we raised during our annual fund raising month of September. The money was donated to Childhood Cancer - The Research Center at Nationwide Children's Hospital in memory of Zac.

  3. #6503
    FORT Fogey Lil Bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,415

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3728076;
    My company presented a check to Nationwide Children's Hospital yesterday for $50,000. That is what we raised during our annual fund raising month of September. The money was donated to Childhood Cancer - The Research Center at Nationwide Children's Hospital in memory of Zac.
    Wow!! That is wonderful, Unk.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  4. #6504
    I won't forget Cootie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the garden
    Posts
    2,487

    Re: Share your good news

    That is good news, Unklescott.

    I have some good news, too. My son's car was recovered after being stolen over 3 weeks ago. It is a 20 year old Honda Accord, and was almost in as good of condition as before. He just lost a few items in the car. As a side note, he learned about the great public transportation in his city while being car-less, so that is even more good news. His car has now been stolen and recovered twice... he is living on a tight budget and wouldn't have been able to get another car, so he is feeling pretty good right now.

  5. #6505
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: Share your good news

    Good news Unklescott and cootie. Thanks for sharing
    - The Dean Martin Show -

    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

  6. #6506
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3728190;
    That is good news, Unklescott.

    I have some good news, too. My son's car was recovered after being stolen over 3 weeks ago. It is a 20 year old Honda Accord, and was almost in as good of condition as before. He just lost a few items in the car. As a side note, he learned about the great public transportation in his city while being car-less, so that is even more good news. His car has now been stolen and recovered twice... he is living on a tight budget and wouldn't have been able to get another car, so he is feeling pretty good right now.
    I had a car stolen a few years ago too. It was the middle of the winter, and I had worked late (about 7 pm) to get a document submitted to the court - and ran it over to drop it off on my way home. I foolishly double parked and left the car running. (I know...I know....) By the time I got to the curb, with was less than 30 seconds, I turned around and saw my car being driven away! There I was, in a full suit, high heels, chasing my car down the icy street yelling for them to bring my car back. Uh, yeah, like that was going to work. I also had everything in there - purse, ID, etc....

    I wrote it off as a lost cause....and also on a tight budget - unable to replace it....but about 2 weeks later I got a call at 3 am from the police department they had found my car!! It was parked on the street about 2 blocks from where it was stolen. Of course my purse and stuff were gone from the inside, but the most important thing was I got my car back. I had also learned the public transportation system.

    I can only imagine the relief you and your son felt when he got his car back, too. That's really crazy that it's happened twice! What are the odds of that!

  7. #6507
    FORT Fogey famita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,760

    Re: Share your good news

    It just means that his car is on the "wanted" list!

  8. #6508
    Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    774

    Re: Share your good news

    While in the waiting room at the hospital where I took my dad for pre-surgery testing yesterday, I had several people notice me making hats on a knitting loom, and express interest in purchasing them through my Etsy page. Even if I don't actually get any sales, it was nice to see some interest and get some compliments.

  9. #6509
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: Share your good news

    Fierce Critter, what is an etsy page? I've seen them mentioned in a lot of places but I'm not sure what they are.

  10. #6510
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3729588;
    Fierce Critter, what is an etsy page? I've seen them mentioned in a lot of places but I'm not sure what they are.
    Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.