+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Congratulations Trista!! I'm so happy for you!!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Congratulations, Trista! I bet it will feel great to get back to work. And those paychecks will be nice, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3717090;
    Thank you! Today is running around, getting a few things I need (these cute Roxy flats that are on clearance for $15 at TJ Maxx, a retainer for my nose piercing since you can do retainers, but no studs, even ones as subtle as mine), and then the calm before the storm. If I am not mistaken, we can go in costume the week before Halloween, which will be way fun-not to mention they sell a ton of theatrical makeup and makeup artistry is the way I want to go. It annoys my mom, but I only apply to jobs where I know I would do well and that I feel are suited to my talents, because I was so miserable at my last job.
    What's a retainer? Is that something you put in the hole so it doesn't close when you take out your piercings?

I just renegotiated my rent, and initially they'd offered us no increase on a 13 month lease, but with a month and a half's rent credit. My lease starts December 1, and there was absolutely no way I was going to sign a lease that would have me moving out Christmas week, so I called back and pointed that out. Well, when they called me again, they offered us a 12 month lease with a credit that was $175 MORE than the credit they'd initially offered. For a shorter lease!!

So I only have to pay rent once more this year-- no rent in December and less than half of a normal payment in January!

Missyboxers, that is good news! It is tough to have to worry about such things. And you can use some of your savings for the holidays, the timing is just right for that.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3717185;
    What's a retainer? Is that something you put in the hole so it doesn't close when you take out your piercings?
    Yep, it's so that it looks like I don't really have anything (although it's kinda obvious, IMO), which helps for many jobs but also makes it so that I can keep my hole open because I waited long enough to get my nose pierced that I am not letting it close up for any reason.

Oh, the paychecks? Those will be nice, but I have to save quite a bit AND do Christmas shopping. I will be buying quite a bit of makeup though once I do get paychecks, because I've been so limited for so long that I need to have some fun.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3717088;
    Trista, I'm so happy for you! Good luck with your new job.

mrd and lil bit, keep up your excellent work. You ladies make me want to go back to college.
    You should. Best thing I"ve ever done for myself. I can't reccomend it highly enough for others. It's so different when you are a little (or in my case, a lot) older than the regular college age crowd. Very rewarding experience.

Trista, congrats.

Missy that is great news. Always negotiate. I figure if they say no, I'm no worse off than I was when I started, but if they say yes, then I've gained something. So good for you.
    Last edited by MRD; 10-04-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I agree, MRD. I did my first stint in college right after high school and did okay, and got my degree. Then I went back at 30 (to a different - liberal arts private college) and learned so much more as a non-traditional aka "old" student. But then I'd get frustrated when the youngsters would moan about the homework being so hard and laborious. Are you kidding me?? Why are you here then? I'm glad I took the time to go back, it made a big difference in my career and life in general.

MRD

JD, I feel the same way sometimes. They are carrying on about it being so hard and I think "I work, go to school AND have a family, so trade ya." They wouldn't last a day doing all that.

But good for you for going back. I see it making a difference in my life already. I am finding it a very rewarding experience and I hope it will be financially rewarding one day in the future after I graduate.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3719034;
    JD, I feel the same way sometimes. They are carrying on about it being so hard and I think "I work, go to school AND have a family, so trade ya." They wouldn't last a day doing all that.

But good for you for going back. I see it making a difference in my life already. I am finding it a very rewarding experience and I hope it will be financially rewarding one day in the future after I graduate.
    This experience has also helped me communicate with my kids regarding education. My son-in-law (26 yo) decided to attend a non-accredited business school because he "wants to own his own business" someday. I had to talk with him (couldn't hold myself back) about possibly deciding what kind of business he would like to own.....I can just hear the kid saying, "I'm tired of working for the man...." And "I'll show them!" Well....at least my daughter has a job that supports their three kids.

+ Reply to Thread