+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Lil Bit - sounds encouraging.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I am so happy for your family, Lil Bit.

My oldest passed his drivers exam and got his license today!! The down side: the increase to our insurance cost is crazy!

Congrats to your son, Closet!

My son is taking driver's ed this week and should have his permit sometime next month. I'm happy for him.

My 20 yr old still doesn't have his. He has no interest in driving, of course he got hit by a car as a teen, so he's admitted that driving a vehicle scares him.

Good Luck, rgw & Closet with both the young men driving, the friends wanting to go with him, and the insurance costs.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3665809;
    My 20 yr old still doesn't have his. He has no interest in driving, of course he got hit by a car as a teen, so he's admitted that driving a vehicle scares him.

Good Luck, rgw & Closet with both the young men driving, the friends wanting to go with him, and the insurance costs.
    If you're all living in Chicago you probably don't really need a car to get around anyway. I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. Give the young man a pat on the back for not doing the "I have to have a license thing." I don't have one here in Milwaukee, although I have had my license for 34 years now , not sure if I am going to renew it in 2014 or not. I might only for the fact that sometimes I drive my parents or Uncles car when taking them to/from Doctors or on occaison.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

We don't live in Chicago, per se. We live about 1-1/2 hours from Chicago on the edge of DuPage/Cook county (I can never figure out if we're NW or just W or Chi-town). And our city doesn't like buses apparently, so yeah, he will need if he ever gets a job. But I'm in no rush. I'm going to drive him to work and he'll pick up a bus from there to his college come fall.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3665809;

My 18 year old isn't that interested in it either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My son got his license almost 1 year ago. It's a very scary time. It gets easier, but you never stop being concerned until you hear that car pull in the driveway.

I have one of those things that started out as bad news, but ended up being good news. My son is a lifeguard at a Girl Scout camp every summer. After Girl Scout camp is over, a private group of families rent the entire camp, including the pool and hires the lifeguards as well. Yesterday began their week at camp. In the afternoon, a little 6 year old boy almost drowned. He was airlifted to a trauma center, but later the mom called and said the little boy is going to be fine. All of the EMTs, paramedics, four doctors who happened to be campers and the camp ranger told my son and the other lifeguards that they did an outstanding job. They did exactly what they were supposed to do, didn't panic, just followed the protocol and helped save the kid's life.

My son's friends all talk about what a cushy job he has - that he sits around in the sun all day and does nothing. And for the most part, that's true. But you never know when something is going to happen. They always have to be ready to jump into action. I'm really proud of him and his girlfriend (who happens to be another one of the lifeguards). They are heroes.

Thank you for that post ScoutMom. My 3 kids and I have all guarded at state parks and even though it looks like you just sit in the sun all day, what you don't see is the internal hyper-vigilant monitoring, running scenarios through your head, watching mothers ignore their young children in the water. OK, I'm not going any further because this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. If you go to the beach this summer, thank the lifeguard when you leave. You have no idea what a tedious, exhausting job it is.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread