+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

I would also say two days for Venice. I would also note that it's very very easy to find bad food there so collect recommendations and have backup plans. That's probably good advice for all of the cities, actually-- we found our best dinners in Montalcino and in a small town outside of Verona. My favorite was far and away Rome, but I'm very much a big city girl. I'd say three days-- we took a private tour with a private driver and had an overview of the highlights in a day (Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Colosseum, Circus Maximus, Pantheon, Forum, Trevi Fountain-- am I missing anything? and the Vatican in the afternoon-- I don't recommend this as exhausted doesn't even begin to cover how tired I was at the end of the day), but three would enable you to see things at a more sane pace.

I was doing ok with the heights on the Leaning Tower until the time came to go up to the tippy tippy top. My height phobic mom made a couple comments that got the fear into my head, and then the combination of the marble steps, plus a pathetic little guard rail which, given the step I would have had to walk around on to get to the ladder, was essentially two feet high and wouldn't hold a sliding person if I slipped, yeah, I couldn't quite do that.

Have a fantastic trip! Italy is a great place!

MRD

I refused to climb the tower. I wouldn't reccomend the Pisa dump though. We met up with cousins who lived in Spain (he was studying there) while we were in Venice and drove around Italy in their ancient VW bus and it broke down in Pisa. The mechanic we found was located across the street from the Pisa dump. I have photos of my 2 cousins who were 3 and 6 at the time playing in the dump. I realize it's not on any tourist map of the area, but as a side trip, I really don't reccomend it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Oh wow, Yardgnome, Greece? That is at the top of my MUST SEE list, and after hearing so much about the coastal cities in Italy, I think it would be a great idea to make a second trip back just to focus on Greece, and then all of the coastal Italian cities. And how cool is it that your parents are paying for your trip - it just doesn't get any better than that!!! Woo hoo!!!!

MRD, I've read a lot about the tour of the Murano glass factory, and it sounds amazing!! One thing I heard, though, was that at the actual factory, it was a very high-pressure "sell," and that there were much better prices on the same goods away from the factory back in Venice. Was that not your experience?

And Gutmutter - It leans? Really? Seriously, though, that would freak me out too, walking up the spiraling marble staircase in the rain with no railing . . . not a good thing!!! I'm such a klutz that I would fall for sure! It's funny, a friend of mine at work just brought her pictures in for me to look at of her trip to Italy several years ago, and in one of them the leaning tower of Pisa is perfectly straight! I asked her what happened and she said she must have tilted her camera and straightened it without thinking. I said she had done with architects hadn't been able to figure out how to do for centuries - fix the lean in the tower! But seriously, why would you take a "straight" picture of the leaning tower of Pisa . . . kinda defeats the purpose!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

MRD

My dad posed for a picture with the tower in the background holding his hand up and it looks in the picture like he's holding up the tower. Too funny and I'm sure that a million other tourists have done the same thing.

I found the opposite true at the glass factory. I found Venice to be VERY expensive overall, so we didn't shop much there. We bought our glass at the factory and one of the selling points is that they shipped it back to the states. Never would have made it unbroken otherwise. So I don't know what to tell you about buying the glass. Price it in Venice first I guess and then go out to the factory.

Florence was THE place to shop though for other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;3451259;
    Seriously, though, that would freak me out too, walking up the spiraling marble staircase in the rain with no railing . . . not a good thing!!!
    The inside of the tower has stairs, but the outside is a spiraling shelf the width of a school desk with pillars, but no railing. So slick, leaning. *shudder* We joined a group from an art history class with a terrific guide for the week in Florence. They had already been to Rome, so my boyfriend and I took an afternoon train to Rome, walked around most of the night and then returned in time for the morning activities. I'll never forget standing inside the Colloseum under a full moon, knowing the history.
    Count your blessings!

My son is FINALLY making some progress on getting visitation with his youngest daughter. His ex at least responded. Her lawyer wrote to my sons lawyer and the first line of the letter is "I think "his ex" has accepted the idea that her youngest daughter does need to start having visitations with her father." Well, damn. Already?? She'll only be a year old in about 3 weeks! She was about 7 months old before we were able to establish paternity and we've been fighting to see her since. I picked up Lexie today and they kept Baileigh in the other room. Wouldn't even bring her out so I could see her for a minute. Now they are suggesting that we break her into the visits gradually so as not to traumatize her by giving her to strangers. Well, we've been saying that for 5 MONTHS! It's so frustrating. But at least we are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe in a couple of weeks. I suppose that will depend on how long she stalls this time. But I'm going to think positively.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

Lil bit, I'm glad to hear that you and your son are finally going to have a relationship with the baby.

I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be for you. To know the baby is in the next room and not be able to see her. If they want her to get to know you gradually, a first step would be having her in the same room! I don't understand why they're making this so hard!
    Count your blessings!

Lil Bit, I hope things continue to move in the right direction visitation wise. This must be so frustrating for you and your family. You must be a wise and patient woman, I would have done something stupid and rash by now.

I have been able to see her on occasion. They've never let us take her with us or take pictures of her or spend any real time with her, but we've seen her and even got to hold her. It's mainly the other grandma blocking us I think. I remember one time I picked up Lexie and the baby was playing on the floor. I went to her and held out my hands and she raised her arms and came right to me. She was smiling at me and grabbing my hair when her other grandma came in the room. From the look on her face I knew she was furious. So then for about the next two months we had to meet them at Wal-Mart to pick up Lexie and they didn't bring Baileigh with. It's been sort of like that ever since. They are jealous that we have such a good relationship with Lexie and it pisses them off because she fights and cries when she has to go home after our weekends. I don't understand why they would object to their granddaughter having people in her life who love and cherish her but I guess they do. In their ideal world, we'd just go away and the only contact with us would be the child support checks. I think they are finally learning that that ain't gonna happen.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread