+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Ok, this is the last you'll hear from me,....perhaps for a long, long time...ok, I took that from Sound of Music, but I couldn't resist. Don't forget to pass your sleep test!!

Sounds like a wonderful vacation, famita. Have a great time!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3441249;
    Ok, this is the last you'll hear from me,....perhaps for a long, long time...ok, I took that from Sound of Music, but I couldn't resist. Don't forget to pass your sleep test!!
    there was a time in my life when I'm sure my parents would have thought that hilarious. I think I used up my sleep when I was a teenager because now, my problem isn't snoring or sleep apnea, but NOT sleeping. I am a total insomniac and my doctor is insisting I have this done because I keep refusing the sleeping pills she keeps trying to give me and have become a grouch because I can't sleep.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm just really excited and needed to tell someone my good news! We just book our vacation, and we are going to Italy!!! We leave on August 28 and will be flying into Venice (arriving on the 29th), and then we will be flying back home from Rome on September 6. What we do and where we go on the 8 days in between has yet to be decided. I am kind of envisioning three days in Venice, maybe two days in Florence (or one day in Florence and one day in Pisa), and then three days in Rome. If anyone has been there and has any suggestions on where to go, what to see, or good hotels to stay in, I would be most appreciative! I have been looking online, and to be honest, there is so much info out there that its kind of overwhelming. But, I'm still really excited!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

MRD

Pisa's only really worth half a day. But Florence is definetly worth more than one day. So is Rome and Venice.
    Be a real tourist and do a Gondola ride. Yes, the canals are kind of smelly, but at night with all the lights of Venice, there is nothing better than a Gondola ride.
    Florence is great for shopping for leather goods: shoes, purses, gloves, etc. and you HAVE to see The David.
    The Vatican is a must. Must see the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basillica.
    Don't forget to throw your coins in the Trevi fountain so you can return to Rome.
    Sounds fabulous, have a great time. Take drawsting pants, the food is the best ever.
    One thing we did, most hotels serve continental breakfast: rolls, pastries, coffee.
    We found little markets or stores and bought cheese, olives, fruit and bread and made that lunch and then splurged on really nice multicourse dinners.
    There's a place in St. Mark's square in VEnice that has been there for about 200 years that has the best cannoloni I have ever eaten. I wish I could remember the name. If you are looking at the cathedral, it would be in the piazza to your left.

You will really, really, really enjoy it.

Thanks, for the tips, MRD! Do you happen to remember the hotels you stayed at in Venice and in Rome and whether or not you liked them? I have been looking on tripadvisor, and there are so many that I truly went home cranky because I was so overwhelmed!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

MRD

Unfortunately I don't remember the hotels. My dad had done all those bookings. I do remember the one in Venice was old, old, old and the elevator was gorgeous, but scary because of it's age.
    We did stay in a hotel out side of Naples that I wish I could remember the name. It was on a cliff and the rooms were carved out of the side of the cliff, so 3 of your walls were rock. It was the COOLEST hotel, right on the water and you took an elevator down through the cliff to get to the pier to go swimming.

Chrelsey, your trip sounds great!
    I agree with MRD, Pisa is something you do on the way in or out of Florence. It's a half day trip at the most. Florence is one of my favorite places ever. Make sure you visit the leather market all throughout the area. The vendors will lower their prices, so don't pay them asking price. I also highly recommend that you eat gellato at least once a day. My other favorite place in Florence is the Ponte Vecchio bridge. It's full of tiny little jewelry stores with some of the most beautiful pieces ever.

Rome is definitely a multi day trip. There is so much to do and see there and you won't want to miss out on anything. The Sistine Chapel and the rest of the Vatican is a day all by itself.

I also have been to Venice and it's a great place. It's also only about a 2 day stay max though. It's not a huge town, so there is not nearly as much to do there as there is in Rome and Florence. It's a peaceful city though and a great place to explore and just get lost in the canals. Like MRD said, make sure to take a gondola ride. They are cheaper during the day, so if you want the experience, that is the time to do it. If you're looking for the romantic experience, night is probably better.

Also, if you have time, I really recommend making your way south and seeing Pompeii and Sorrento. It's a whole different Italy when you head to the south and a great experience as well.

Your talk of your trip is making me excited about the beginning stages of mine. Next year, after I take the BAR in July, I'm taking a trip to Italy and Greece. I've always wanted to go to Greece and I love Italy, so I figured I would take the time to do it as a little present to myself for surviving law school and the BAR. The best part, my parents told me this weekend they would pay for my trip because of all the hard work I've been putting in. Needless to say, it was unexpected and I'm through the roof.

If you have any questions, I've been to Italy twice, last time in 2005, feel free to PM me. I have a great tour company that will take you around the cities if you are looking for that sort of thing as well. Nothing beats being driven around Rome in a Mercedes sedan and cutting in line at all the museums because the tour company made reservations, hired someone to wait in line, etc.

MRD

Greece is fabulous too. Make sure you get to the Greek Isles like Mykanos (I may not be spelling that right), Yardgnome. Crete and Rhodes are nice, lots of historical stuff, but Mykanos is just this tiny little place that is drop dead gorgeous. And go to the Plaka (the old market, been there hundreds of years) in Athens. Great authenic Greek food, lots of tavernas and wonderful shopping (price haggling is expected there as well)
    Domestica is a great Greek wine and not expensive. We found it everywhere and our hotel sink was always full of ice and a couple bottles of Domestica. Thank goodness for Domestica as I can't stand Ouzu.

One thing around Venice that might interest you Chrelsey are the glass factories. I have some beautiful pieces of Venetian glass and we had them shipped home and they arrived perfectly and not broken. You have to take a water taxi over to the island they are on, but the stuff is beautiful and worth a trip if you have the time. Cheaper than buying the same (Merano) glass in the shops in Venice.
    Pompeii was interesting too. Absolutely hated Naples, avoid at all costs. Not Italy's finest city.
    But Yardgnome is right about the leather shops and you have to do the Ponte Vecchio bridge, even if you don't buy anything. But trust me, you'll want to shop in Florence. Don't shop in Venice. Very expensive.

We spent most of our time in Florence with side trips to Pisa and other smaller towns. The food is wonderful. Make sure you make lots of stops into the little shops where you drink tiny cups of espresso standing up with/without pastries. I can't remember how to spell it now, but the Pitzi? Palace and gardens in Florence are fun. When we went to Pisa you could still climb up the tower. At any point you could choose to go the next level by way of the outer spiraling shelf with NO RAILING made of MARBLE and on the day we went it was RAINING. You connect the dots. That was the most scared I've ever been. Did I mention the tower LEANS!!!!!?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread