+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Way to go MissThing. That's great and I'm happy to hear your news!

That is absolutely fantastic MissThing!! Way to go!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3331805;
    It sure is. I didn't really think I'd ever get here. The hospital's goal for me was 165, my own goal was this. I did plateau (sp?) for the longest, and I figured, well, that's just the way it is, I'll be grateful for the blessing I've had.

Then, suddenly, I started dropping again, like nobody's business. I'm not sick, I'm eating well, all is OK. Perhaps my body is just stubborn, because it did take what seems like forever to get past that 165 mark.

Still, I did it, and I just can't express adequately either my joy in having achieved the goal, or how much better I feel.

Last time I weighed this much, I was able to fit into size 8 pants. Now we are talking 12's, so I do need to rearrange things. Still, I started in 26's, and 12's are quite a treat for me!

Thanks to all of you for your appreciation. It means a lot to me.

I'm so happy for you and what is up with that plateau thing? I also had gastric bypass almost 3 years ago and I also stopped losing. But at the same time, I developed hypoglycemia and it took me months to get it under control with diet. In the meantime, I gained about 15 pounds and I was NOT happy. NOT supposed to be gaining. However, I've started losing again for no apparant reason other than I am staying busier than I used to be. I also quit eating meat. I'm having a real problem with meat. I still eat it occasionally, but not so much. I do ground meats ok, but other stuff is not agreeing with me at all. I went through this phase before and then got over it and now I'm back in that phase again. So fine, quit eating meat, eat beans and other protiens instead.

But good for you. I still want to lose about 40-50 more pounds. I started out much heavier than you did though. I've lost 150 pounds so far (15 of that twice). My doctor's goal for me was 150 lbs. I would totally settle for 180. which means 40 more pounds to lose.

I love the fact that I still enjoy everything I love (except for the meat thing), but only in little bits now. Where once, I could eat the ENTIRE package of Oreos, I can actually be satisfied with ONE! ONE Oreo. Who would have believed it?

I know how you must feel. It's a great feeling and you deserve a hand for your accomplishment!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Congrats, Miss Thing! I'll be eight years out next month, and lost (AND kept off!!!) the equivalent of an average NFL quarterback. The most important thing I learned was to consciously keep up the good habits voluntarily that were at first involuntary immediately following surgery. I now DECIDE to eat healthily, and to shun stuff like processed foods (including ingredients such as partially hydrogenated and/or hydrogenated fats and high-fructose corn syrup) that mess with your metabolism, and Paula Deen recipes which include outrageous amounts of heavy cream and butter, and all sorts of bacon-, pig-fat and other animal-fat laden fare, in favor of fresh and healthy stuff. It keeps my numbers in check and prevents the numbers on my scale from moving up. If I learned ANYTHING in these eight years, it's that the surgery isn't magic -- keeping the weight off is hard work as regards diet and exercise. (Hey, my metabolism didn't change!) But it was soooooooooo worth it! If for nothing else, it was that I was "cured" of diabetes (as long as I continue the work to keep the fat off!).

So congrats -- you ROCK!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3332871;
    I love the fact that I still enjoy everything I love (except for the meat thing), but only in little bits now. Where once, I could eat the ENTIRE package of Oreos, I can actually be satisfied with ONE! ONE Oreo. Who would have believed it?
    That is a cool thing: that an once-in-awhile "special treat" can remain just that. (Though I find now and then that I'll have something that I used to like a lot eight years ago, and find that it no longer has the "wow" factor, or I just plain don't like it anymore. I used to adore doughnuts, for example, and now I can't stand them.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3333753;
    That is a cool thing: that an once-in-awhile "special treat" can remain just that. (Though I find now and then that I'll have something that I used to like a lot eight years ago, and find that it no longer has the "wow" factor, or I just plain don't like it anymore. I used to adore doughnuts, for example, and now I can't stand them.)
    As you know, they told me my taste would change, and (of course, because I'm stubborn) I didn't believe them.

I hadn't eaten meat for maybe 15 years before my surgery. I'm talking no meat, red, white, blue, from the farm, from the ocean - no flesh.

Then, my dietician told me that if I want it, I should try it. This arrangement has worked out very well. I've been eating meat (something I wasn't consuming before my surgery) in good stead. My key is to let my digestive system be my guide (YMMV). If I want something I see, and my stomach thinks differently, it tends to let me know. Not always, but mostly.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

MRD

My tastes did change, but then stabilized. Right after the surgery, I couldn't even stand the smell of meat. I lived on crab cakes for months as that was one of the few things I could stand the taste of. Now it's not the taste, it's the fact I have a hard time digesting meat and so it makes me sick.
    I think I've managed to do away with a lot of my bad habits like Ellen said. I went to therapy for months before and after my surgery and worked on the whys I ate, so that I could indentify the problem areas before anything happened. But I still get to indulge in stuff including Paula Deen. The trick is just not to indulge too often. But as a treat, heck yeah!

I also have an issue with salad. I know that some people have issues with certain foods. Rice I have to be very, very, very careful with, so I don't eat a lot of it. Salad tends to cause problems as does the meat, but I just have changed accordingly. My doctor thinks I might have a stricture which is why the problems with meat. Other stuff can pass more easily, but not the meat.

On the size 12 thing. I don't know how long ago that was when you wore a size 8 at this same weight, but clothing manufacturers have changed their clothing sizes, so it may not be that you need to rearrange the pounds as it may just be that what used to be an 8 is now really a 12.

I know if I could have the excess skin removed, I'd probablylose another 30 pounds and I would most definetly be down a couple pants sizes. As it stands now, to get pants to fit, the butt is so loose that it looks terrible. I also have to buy larger tops because of my arms. So I'm at the point now where I have a good seamstress because I need clothes taken in in some areas in order to fit over the other "problem" areas.

Still it's a good thing. Even with some of the problems, I'm glad I did it.

Miss Thing and Ellen! a big round of for all of us.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3333753;
    I know what you mean Ellen. I cut out all sugar after my surgery because I have dumping syndrome. For those of you who don't know what that is, when I eat anything with too much sugar in it, over 5 or 6 grams per serving, it causes me to "dump". For me that is explosive diarrhea, headache, nausea, dizziness, my heart pounds, my blood pressure rises, etc. And this happens within about 15 minutes of eating the offending food. It's not pleasant! As a result, I don't eat sugar. So now, after so many years, I'll get it in my head that I HAVE to have a bite of a doughnut. Well, I've found that I just don't like anything that sweet anymore.

I also have trouble with really high fat foods, like most things that are deep fried in oil. Those types of foods usually cause vomiting. It does make it easier for me to make healthier food choices, which is something that I have to do if I want to keep the weight off. Like you Ellen, my metabolism is the same.

I have recently lost 80 pounds through diet and exercise. I am now a size 8, and for me, those high sugar, fatty foods just don't appeal to me anymore. The key for me is keeping active. I drop my son off at school and hit the gym almost every day, even if I can only spend 20 minutes. On the size of clothes thing, I actually find the opposite...the sizes are larger than they used to be. I have weighed this weight before and used to wear a size 10, and now I swim in most size 10's. I think it depends on the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3334294;
    I have recently lost 80 pounds through diet and exercise. I am now a size 8, and for me, those high sugar, fatty foods just don't appeal to me anymore. The key for me is keeping active. I drop my son off at school and hit the gym almost every day, even if I can only spend 20 minutes. On the size of clothes thing, I actually find the opposite...the sizes are larger than they used to be. I have weighed this weight before and used to wear a size 10, and now I swim in most size 10's. I think it depends on the manufacturer.
    I've found that too. I think they call it "vanity sizing". I weigh the same now as when I was in high school and back then I wore an 8 or 10. Now I can fit in 4's and 6's AND I have all the excess belly skin. I have clothes now in sizes from 4 to 10, depending on brands. It's annoying. I don't know why they can't size womens jean like they do mens. My husband can buy off the rack without trying anything on.

BTW... Congratulations on your weight loss!!!

+ Reply to Thread