+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 830 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159559 ... LastLast
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    You can get hurt just by tripping on a rut in the ice. There was always an ongoing debate at my rink about who tore up the ice worse; hockey players or figure skaters. It's a dangerous sport even if it's just for fun.
    Don't think I haven't told her! Plus her husband makes a living playing hockey, she knows the stories, she's seen the dangers. All I can do is remind her - she's a big girl now and able to make her own decisions. I can give her advice when she asks for it, and it's up to her whether she follows it. I'll just stand by her decision and be there to pick her teeth up off the ice when they get knocked out. *sigh*

OK, finally some good news to follow up my 'Troubles' that I vented way way way back....

The surgery to remove the calcified blood clots in my lungs was a complete success!! It was very scary for awhile, though, since I arrived for my consultation with the surgeon (the only surgeon in Canada who performs this surgery) in 1st stage heart failure due to the stress of trying to pump blood my ravaged lungs. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks before surgery to remove fluid from my body and to try to stabilize my blood clotting factors. I was finally scheduled for surgery on February 24. Luckily, my mom was able to make the trip with me (I'm from Saskatchewan and the surgeon is in Ottawa, Ontario, so I was FAR FAR from home). Hearing that you will not see your next birthday (27th birthday at that) without having this very risky, complicated surgery, is not something you want to hear when you're alone.

The surgery itself took almost 12 hours and I was on the heart bypass machine for almost 4 hours. After some complications post-surgery and 13 days in ICU (10 days on the respirator!), I was recovering well enough to return to the hospital ward and 5 days after that I was discharged to the residence to plan my flight back home! After 7 scary weeks in Ottawa, I flew home with a whole new outlook on life.

Recovery was slow for a long time, with a lot of chest/incision pain and general muscle weakness. But I very quickly realized that I could finally walk and climb stairs without turning blue and almost passing out! I returned to work (part-time) less than 10 weeks post-surgery and I feel INCREDIBLE!!

Thank-you thank-you thank-you to the incredible surgical and nursing team at the Ottawa Heart Institute for not only saving my life, but giving me a quality of life I thought was lost forever.

On top of all that, while I was in Ottawa I found out I was awarded a very prestigious national award to persue my PhD in Environmental Engineering. I start classes this September!
    Don't let the small things sweat

Wow, Spoose, what great news!!! I'm glad to hear that all went well eventually, and that you got an award too!!!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I'll just stand by her decision and be there to pick her teeth up off the ice when they get knocked out. *sigh*
    That's about all you can do... it sucks when they grow up and we can't protect them (or tell them NO) anymore. When I first started skating lessons in my 40's I took so much crap from friends and relatives who thought I was nuts, so I say good for her for having the guts to give it a try. I hope she has a blast!

Spoose Congrats on the award and best of all so glad you are doing so much better!

WOW Spoose! Good news all around! You have really been through a lot! I can not imagine it. You are so strong and BRAVE.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Wow Spoose, all I have to say is to you. That is wonderful news.

Wow, spoose - I had no idea. What inner strength you will find for having endured such a thing at such a young age. Kudos on your award and good luck in your PhD pursuit.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

FORT Fogey
    Spoose, wow, CONGRATULATIONS on that great news! I'm rooting for you and I wish you all the best in the future.

My good news is nothing, not significant at all, but it was a good thing for little old me.

I have some chronic health problems and when I get run down, overtired, or overworked I tend to lose focus. I've had a bad weekend and I haven't been feeling too hot. I've been running around going to family functions, doing lots of laundry, running errands, etc., etc. It's worn me out, for sure.

So this morning I got up really early 'cause I thought of "just a couple of things" that I needed at the grocery store. I planned to stop at Dunkiní Donuts on the way home and pick up a couple of pounds of ground coffee, too.

I went to the grocery store for my ďcouple of thingsĒ and, $140 later, I loaded things in the Jeep and headed over to Dunkinís for the coffee.

Only when I reached for my purse at Dunkinís did I realize that I didnít have my purse with me. I left my purse in the cart outside in the parking lot at the grocery store.

I dashed home, dumped the groceries and the Pomeranian on my kitchen floor, and called the grocery store to see if one of the ďgrocery cart guysĒ brought my purse back into the store. Yeah, right. I wasnít too hopeful. The Store Manager informed me that, NO, nobody turned in a found purse.

Next I called the police in the town where the grocery storeís located and I explained that it was my own darned fault but I wanted to log the purse as ďmissingĒ anyway, just Ďcause Iíd have to call the bank, cancel credit cards, get new licenses, etc., etc. The police gave me a Log Number to which I could then refer when I called the credit companies, banks, etc., etc.

I decided to drive back to the supermarket parking lot just to see if perhaps the person who found the purse may have dumped it after discovering that I had only $10 in cash in the wallet.

When I arrived at the lot I saw that the shopping cart Iíd used was still out there next to the grass on the very far side of the parking lot, right where I left it.

To my utter amazement, my purse was still there, just as it was when I dumbly left it there!!!! Everything was still there.

I pulled out my grocery receipt to see how long ago Iíd checked out and the receipt said 9:50 a.m. When I found the purse still setting in the cart, just as Iíd left it, the time was 10:50 a.m.

Iím blown away to be able to say that nobody found my purse, nobody stole my purse, and everything was still there when I found it!!!

Iím thrilled to have found my purse, right where I left it, and I also learned two things today:

1. it really pays to park on the periphery of a parking lot, like I always do. Iíve done it for years, and I learned today just how valuable of a move that is. I always park as far from the store as possible, on the edge of the lot, so that:

a. nobody will park right next to me and ďdingĒ my car;

b. I have a clear view of my car so nobody can sneak up on me as Iím getting into the vehicle; and

c. nobody will argue with me about fighting for a parking place because, face it, not too many people are clamoring for those peripheral spots; and

2. we should never, ever carry things in our purses that we canít afford to have get stolen from us. Iím really going to strip that wallet of mine down to the bare essentials. For me that means no more carrying my Social Security Card with me. What a nightmare that would have been to lose that card along with my driverís license!!! That would give someone all the info they need to really ruin my life by stealing my identity. And letís face it Ė one Pomeraniac is plenty!!

Pomeraniac, good advice about parking lot safety, and I'm glad everything worked out for you vis-a-vis your missing purse.

As the victim of "washing-machined wallet(s)," I can certainly commiserate with your temporary crisis.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Premium Member
    Holy Crap Pom you are one lucky puppy! *runs to find wallet and remove contents* I also like your parking philosophy... it's a good way to sneak in a little exercise too.

+ Reply to Thread