+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree786Likes

Thread: Share your good news

MRD

Re: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2835092;
    myrosie, Congrats on your stand mixer! I want one too but like you, the cost for the ones I want are a bit out of budget right now. I'm sure your friend appreciated your helping her pack as it would probably have been harder to do it alone. I know you said they are amicable in their divorce but I'm sure it's still not easy to say good-bye after all those years together. I'm really happy that you've found someone who you click with. That's always a great feeling.
    Thanks. It has been fun to find someone that I did click with and we've laughed our butts off just packing boxes. Now that's a fun person that you can do a real chore with like that and still have fun while doing it.

Well like me, she lost both her parents several years ago, so she has all the china, furniture, linens, knick knacks, etc. that belonged to them and all the stuff of her own, so she's really trying to wean through stuff and narrow it down. She told me she's had the stand mixer probably 20 years and usually uses it once a year, so she was happy for me to have it. I just have to make cheese straws for her occasionally.

And as she has 2 daughters and inherited china and crystal, most of it is being packed up for storage to go to her daughter's when they get married.

So many people have helped me move in the past, that I feel like I'm paying it forward by helping her. I tried and tried to pay her for the mixer and stuff, but she wouldn't let me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Oooh, a stand mixer, how nice for you, rosie. I've always regretted not taking my grandma's huge kitchen-aid mixer when I had the chance.

queenb I hope you have a fabulous vacation.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I'm glad you found a nice friend, MRD. Having a fun girlfriend is the best, isn't it? After leaving your friends behind in Florida, it must be so nice to have a new friend that isn't expecting you to solve her problems, but rather enjoys you for the fun person that you are! With her personality, I'm sure she'll be getting a boyfriend once she is healed from the divorce...but she sounds like the type of gal who wouldn't dump her girlfriends because of a man, you know? Yay! I'm very happy for you...

(Can I invite myself over for cheese straws, too? Whatever they are? But if it's got cheese in it, who cares? I'm sure it's delicious!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2825168;
    I'll be right there! Love to get free stuff out of the blue like that. What a nice surprise.

My new friend called and invited my daughter and I out to dinner with her daughter tonight.

I'm so excited. It's weird, but I almost feel like I'm dating again.
    Well hard to explain. But its nice to have met someone that I have so much in common and that wants to see me again as I've met a few people here, done stuff with them and then never really hear from them again. I know I'm not THAT bad. But still it was nice to meet someone I've hit it off with right away and that is a lot of fun.

And to think I had resigned myself to sitting at home and watching he season premiere of Ghost Hunters tonight and eating leftovers.
    Cool! I felt that way with our neighbors across the street. Then they moved several states away. Have fun on your "date"

My good news is minor. I found a couple of pair of 100 percent cotton jeans that kinda fit me! I went to more than a half-dozen stores and found only ONE pair of non-stretch jeans. These were low-rise skinny, size oP. I was so desperate I tried them on and even did the "hop dance." Got them as far as mid-thigh before I broke out laughing.

I mean, I went to store after store. EVERY pair was stretch denim. I HATE that. Hate the fit and feel and think it is a way around poor cuts. And at most places, the smallest size was 4 in women's. I do not want to shop juniors. I am I was mumbling out loud as I was shopping. "Stretch. Big. Stretch. Big. Stretch big." People were giving me a wide birth! But they were giving my hubby and son strange looks, too. They were announcing size and materials info to me. (Gotta love my guys. Hubby was driven to get me jeans that I liked.)

My hubby got on the web and on the phone to find me a place to at least try them on. We had to go to downtown Portland, OR at a Levi store. Got a pair of men's 527s and a pair of women's 501s. My thighs are not canned hams! Sure I have to get them hemmed (the length were 30 and 32 respectively) but I am used to that.

queenb: Have a super great vacation! Take plenty of photos and go to the zoo!

myrosiedog:
    Congrats on the stand mixer!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Allie, when I was your size in college, I wore Levi's boys' red tab student size jeans. That's what they were called. They were slim cut and much smaller than their men's (or women's) cuts...and they fit me better than women's jeans. They had to be the red tab. The orange tabs didn't fit me as well for some reason...

Um...now I fit in womens' jeans just fine. Sigh.

MRD

Oh, cheese straws are THE BEST.

I guess it is a kind of Southern thing. No self respecting Southern hostess has any kind of party without having cheese straws.

They are basically savory cheddar cheese type crackers. They are made in long "tubes" so they look like a straw. We use our cookie press to make them.

I'll post my recipe in the recipe thread. They are fairly easy and just soooo good. Goes well with any cocktail.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

For a year now, I've been slaving away at my old house. Instead of remodeling it, we've pretty much have been rebuilding it. Needless to say, with all the paint scraping, shoveling, clearing scrap lumber, I haven't had the time to do much for myself. Well today, after a whole year, I finally made a hair appointment. My hair is as long as I wore it in high school in the 60's. Which is nice if you're 16, but not too cute for a grandma. So next week I will get a "new me"...yippee!!!

MDR: don't forget to post the cheese straw recipe..sounds delish
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Tonight we have been invited to our neighbor's house for wine. We bought brie cheese and some crackers from Trader Joe's. I'm happy but scared at the same time. All of them including mr buglover are almost 10 years older than me and love to talk politics which can easily become an argument. I am going to play host even though it isn't my house because it will keep me out of conversations. I'm very loud and a bit out there in my music and tv and movie liking so most do not have anything in common with me. All my tats are covered up even though they've seen them, I just like to keep them hidden to people I don't know well. Wish me luck because mr buglover and I need couple friends!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Good luck buglover, but you won't need it. It will go wonderfully! Just enjoy yourself and don't worry too much. Things have a natural tendancy to go the way they're going to go. For you, it will go great and you guys will have a fantastic time!

+ Reply to Thread