+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree609Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Congrats to you myrosiedog! Well-deserved and very nice that you have been recognized for all your efforts and interest!

buglover: Congrats to your hubby as manager too! That sounds like you are now in a good position for the future!

--------------
    My little good news is that I got asked by a very prestigeous event planner here in the City if I was available to facepaint at a bat mitzvah in the spring. This would be my first pro gig here. I checked her website and she only organizes premier events such as the Queen's visit, big charity events, and very nice private affairs. A lady who was in the same bodypainting course forwarded my name to her. That was so nice. I love Karma. It's not until May, so I still have to see if the client goes for it. I also recommended my sweetie as a caricaturist. He is usually a hit at bar mitzvahs and mat mitzvahs.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It will be nice to make a little money and make a good business connection.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

That's fantastic Miss Kitty. I hope you become a regular on this woman's party circuit.

When I was doing event planning years ago, I had a whole card file of face painters, clowns, magicians, etc. that I could call on. If I had someone who was difficult or didn't show up on time, etc., then they didn't get called by me again and I tossed their card.
    The ones that really got the call back were the ones that stayed in touch with me, let me know their schedules so I knew when I could call on them and when I couldn't. And if I got complaints from the hostess of the event about them, I addressed it with them so it wouldn't happen in the future.
    As the event planner, you are responsible in the hosts eyes for everyone being there and everything running smoothly. If you book the entertainment and the entertainment fails to deliver, that is held against the party planner. So make sure you stay in good graces with the planner.
    I would even offer to give her a demo of your services. And take pictures and keep a small photo album of what you do so you can show it.
    Sorry for the unsolicited advice. I just want you to do well and keep on getting bookings. I know you are professional and showing up on time isn't going to be a problem.
    But perhaps you could start a small website showing your designs so you can promote yourself. You could make business cards too.
    Ask the planner if it is alright for you to give cards out at the party. Sometimes other parents will ask you for one, but check with the event planner first about doing that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2814331;
    That's fantastic Miss Kitty. I hope you become a regular on this woman's party circuit.
    ...Sorry for the unsolicited advice. I just want you to do well and keep on getting bookings. I know you are professional and showing up on time isn't going to be a problem.
    Your advice is welcome! I used to plan events as well and it's important that entertainers are professional, prepared, reliable and on time! I don't have a lot of photos as it's hard to take them while I was working. But I do have a few. And I think the referral by her friend will be the most valuable. I am planning to get more pictures.

I think word-of-mouth business will be the best for me to start. I do have a couple of business cards. Event planners usually bump up the prices of their entertainers, so they can make a profit. They sometimes want to act as your agent, but I want to be able to freelance for little events. We'll see what happens...maybe the client will opt for other options. .

It feels good to think about painting again. I haven't done it for awhile.

Two amazing face and bodypainting instructors, Pashur (Canvas Alive) and Mark Reid (Mark Reid: Master Bodypainter, Albuquerque/Honolulu - Available for Private Sessions and Corporate Promotional Events), are doing weekend workshops in Calgary in May. The education would be invaluable, but I really can't afford to go. Each weekend is $300, not including supplies, and it costs me $100 return to get there. I'm buying lottery tickets!

Sounds great, misskitty. I hope it all works out for you.

I found the greatest, cheap, plastic drawer organizers this week! They vaulted me into a little bout of tidying up my make-up drawer, odds and ends drawer, underwear drawers, desk drawers, kitty toy drawers, and kitchen clutter drawer! The best part was that they fit all the drawers perfectly. A two-size fits all kinda item. I have to get some more.

I feel good knowing my drawers are all clean and tidy!

Just think how good you'd feel volunteering your time for the organizationally challenged! I'll pm you my address.
    Count your blessings!

Senior Docent at the Upcountry History Museum sounds so fancy! Congratulations mrd!

And congratulations on your upcoming gig, misskitty. I think that sounds like a lot of fun.

Congrats misskitty! I love facepainting but can't paint for nothing! I can't even put make up on other women...lol
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2820753;
    Just think how good you'd feel volunteering your time for the organizationally challenged! I'll pm you my address.
    I'll be right over once I apply for a passport! I know there are a couple of women who will organize your house (aka get rid of clutter) for a fee and their business is doing quite well.

---
    My good news is that I met a dear friend for lunch today that I hadn't seen in years! We used to work together and were social outside of work as well. It had been at least 5 years...life just got in the way. It was so great to give her a big hug and receive a big one from her as well! We're definitely going to make the effort to see each other more often in person (rather than e-mail). It was also a great chance to have a piece of cake!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2821226;
    Senior Docent at the Upcountry History Museum sounds so fancy! Congratulations mrd!

And congratulations on your upcoming gig, misskitty. I think that sounds like a lot of fun.
    Aw, but the problems have now begun. Since I now have a name tag similar to the staff, I'm getting asked questions by patrons and I don't know any of that stuff and can't answer them. I only "look" like I'm in charge.

My husband has teased me that they also doubled my pay. I said, yeah, now I get TWO diet pepsi's while I'm there.

Miss Kitty, come organize me. I used to be so good at it, but I have just spiriled downword into disorganization and procrastination.

Buglover, I can't do face painting or makeup on other people. I can barely do my own.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread