+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree783Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Lucky! I love a good massage. That was supposed to be my daughter's Christmas present to me (to pay for one) but she's saving for a school trip to Paris/Barcelona so I haven't claimed it yet.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I got a promotion!!!

I got a promotion at the musuem today and was honored at the volunteer meeting which was totally unexpected, I was asked to make sure I was there as they wanted me to talk a little bit about my experiences (ha, they don't know me well, I can talk more than a little bit. ). But I was taken completely by surprise as they had a little ceremony and presentation and refreshments, etc.

Of course, it still does not come with pay. Yet.

I am now "The Senior Docent". I have over 100 volunteer hours logged in. More than any of the other volunteers. I got my own permanent, professional nametag like the staff wears. Plus they were going to give me a museum membership, but I have one, so they are trying to figure out what to give me instead. I wanted to say that a nice gift certificate to the gift shop would be really nice as I have my eye on several books there I want.

So then this afternoon, we looked at a really pretty piece of property today (out in BFE, its a lot farther out than I wanted, but its really nice). 3 acres with a creek (well creek is probably stretching it, but it's called McKinney Creek, it should be McKinney Trickle) on the side of a mountain with a mountain view. Gorgeous. It has a modular home on it that's ok. We could live in that while we build. The price is really nice. But the Real Estate agent asked me what I did and I got to say: "I'm the senior docent at the Upcountry History Museum". I thought Mr. Rosie would choke.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Congratulations MRD! That's awesome! A gift certificate would be nice.
    Count your blessings!

Oh MRD congratulations! A promotion is always wonderful! They need to have a nice party for you!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Congratulations MRD !!!

Congrats on your new title MRD! Hopefully it will lead to a paid position but in the meantime I'm sure it feels good to be recognized for your efforts.

I hope you find that slice of heaven you're looking for and can settle into a home soon. But when you look at property, don't ask yourself "is this too far from where I want to live?" but instead ask "What would Waldo think?" Because face it, if Waldo doesn't like it, nobody is going to be happy . I can just see him now romping in the creek, chasing forest animals and having a grand ole' time.

Congratulations are in order myrosiedog! How wonderful for you. By all means as Archie Comic Fan posted - put yourself in the fourlegged kids place - Rosie, Bogie and Waldo and what would they think?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Good for you mrd!

Mr Buglover is the new manager of our apartment complex. The rent is paid by the land lady so paying off the credit cards will be much easier now and we can put away for our 3 teenagers to go to college should they decide to.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Thanks guys.

It's funny you mention that about the dogs because as we walked the property we kept talking about how much the dogs would LOVE it. Especially the creek. I can see me having to give lots of baths after them romping in the "trickle".

The ONLY problem I have other than its WAY out there is that there are bears and I do worry about the dogs and bears. Man, it used to be alligators (we lived on a canal at one time that had an alligator in it and I used to worry about Rosie and Bogie all the time) and now its going to be bears. But the back door is PERFECT to put a doggie door in. We talked about that when we looked at it. We also talked about fencing part of it so that they don't wander 40 acres away from our little slice of "heaven" and I know they would. They would catch a scent of something and be GONE and there's not a lot of houses out there. It's mostly woods. And I don't think any of the 3 of them could find their way back home.

But I know they'd love to have some land. We'll see. We've got to talk to the mortgage broker first and I don't know what's going to happen. My husband has only been on this job a month, so we may have to wait for him to have more time in his present job first. We just happened to find this piece of property and decided to go look at it and the real estate agent was available to show it and no one is living there. Anyway, if it's meant to be, it will be. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for the museum, they did mention today that they still want to hire me, but its still a budget thing. But again, they said that if they do the day camp thing this summer, they are going to HAVE to hire someone and I again said, I was ready to take on a paid position when one comes open. But, even if it doesn't, I was talking to the director and she said that when she looks at resumes she would definetly hire someone with as much volunteer experience as I have over a recent graduate with no volunteer experience. I was asking her some questions about whether I should take some museum study classes along with the history classes and what I could expect upon graduation. She has given me some really good advice and told me that my volunteer work will look fantastic on my resume when I graduate. So even if I never get paid, it's going to give me a boost over other recent graduates when I do get a job. AND she and several others have said that they'd write me letters of reccomendation in a heartbeat. So I'm doing something I like and it will help me later and I have people willing to help me with advice on school, classes and jobs later. And who knows, there may even be something open there in a couple years when I do graduate.

While I'd love to get paid, I still get tremendous satisfaction from doing what I do and I'm gaining valuable experience and the museum is getting much needed help. I do know they don't have a lot of money. They are non-profit and I know that with it being new, they are fairly tight on money. (we've had something broken for a month now that is going to cost $3000 to fix and they haven't been able to squeeze out that much to get it fixed)

So its a win-win for both of us and we'll see what happens down the road. (I just hope there aren't bears down that road. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread