+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

lei
    FORT Fogey

Re: Share your good news

kimrs - I'm so glad to hear about the big picture, that your mom's infection will be cleared.

I'm sorry she won't be able to go to funeral but I'm sure her friend would be happy to know the reason.

Thanks lei. I know it is hard for her to miss the funeral, but I know when she is better my dad will take her down and let her say good-bye.

My good news - I plan to have a great time tomorrow. The background is - everyone has heard of the Special Olympics. The Special Olympics specifically excludes people who are wheelchair bound and have visual impairments. The Bell Pioneers, a nation-wide charitable organization started by Thomas Edison, holds their own version of the special olympics at various locations throughout the country. The Bell Pioneers' version is for people who are wheelchair bound and/or visually impaired. In other words, it's for people who are excluded from the well-known Special Olympics.

Several years ago, my son's Boy Scout Troop happened to be camping at the local Scout camp, which is where the Bell Pioneers hold their special olympics. The boys wandered up to the field where all the activity was and started pitching in to help - getting ice, cheering the people on, pushing wheelchairs, whatever needed to be done. The Bell Pioneers were so impressed that every year since them, my son's Troop (and ONLY my son's Troop) is invited to come out and help. So the Troop has done this for the past 20 years or so.

Saturday (tomorrow) is the Bell Pioneers special olympics day. So the Troop will do the opening flag ceremony, and then the boys and adults will get to work. It's a great experience and a wonderful thing for the boys to see. They truly end the day appreciating their physical abilities. It's something I look forward to every year.

lei
    FORT Fogey

That is so beautiful, ScoutMom! What a wonderful Mom and Troop Leader you are.

I was a swimming coach for Special Olympics here. Amazing experience. I'm glad to learn about the Bell Pioneers.

Wow! That is a wonderful story Scoutmom! And what a wonderful experience and honor for your son and his troop!

My mom is home and is recuperating. She is taking a trip to Altoona tomorrow to take part in a family service for her friend lost during the Vietnam War. I am so happy for her that she will get to say good-bye and see his mom.

lei
    FORT Fogey

I'm glad your mom is doing well, kimrs.

My dad arrives on Monday for ten days! It's always wonderful to see him.

Everyone's good news just makes me happy.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

I have never heard of the Bell Pioneers before. Thanks scoutmom for educating me and what a wonderful thing the Bell Pioneers are and what a great project and honor for your scout troop.

My husband is trying to decide if we can afford for him to take 5 days off of work in late Oct. to go to the Gulf Coast and do some disaster assitance with a group from our church. They are going to help in the rebuilding effort and he really wants to go. I told him he should tell his boss why he wants the time off and perhaps the boss would be generous enough to pay him at least for part of it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

A woman I work with went to New Orleans with her church to help with the rebuild. Actually, she was part of the demolition team and they had people who actually knew what they were doing do the rebuild. But she said she had a great time and that you can't really appreciate what it's like unless you've seen it.

I'm home (obviously) from the Bell Pioneering thing. What a great time. These kids, and some young adults, are really amazing. They have such a great spirit and really look forward to this event every year. God bless the Bell Pioneers!

That sounds like everything was just great scoutmom!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread