+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

All of you with good news.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2439386;
    What you call a Chinese auction, I call a brown-bag auction. I've won some pretty nice stuff at the ones held at our regional Newf specialty show.

I'll bite--what is a Yankee Swap?
    There are a couple of versions and you usually do them at Christmas. Everyone brings a gift. In one version everyone picks a number from a hat. #1 picks a gift and opens it. #2 opens a gift and either keeps it or swaps with #1. #3 opens one and keeps it or swaps with any already opened, etc. Finally #1 gets final choice from all the opened gifts. The other way is everyone takes a gift and unwraps it. Then someone starts making statements, like - if anyone is wearing green they can swap. Shovelled snow today can swap. Left kids with a sitter, etc. Certain opened gifts become much sought-after and swapped often, while others get swapped away. People wait until the last minute to swap already-swapped gifts. Feelings get hurt. Not pretty. Now before I get kicked to the Koffee Klatch thread, my good news: it was the last day of school for the kids! Woo hoo! Tomorrow is teachers' day to clean out the classrooms. That's always fun.
    Count your blessings!

So I get called down to my supervisor's office today. Per usual, whenever that happens I assume that I'm about to get canned (would have been a perfect day for it, too). But no, it turns out that I'm receiving what they call a High Impact award of $2,100 because my longstanding belief that I work much harder than any of my co-workers is apparently true. Not only that, but this is my second, albeit different, award for working above and beyond. Honestly, knowing how lazy I actually am, I really have to wonder just what the heck my co-workers are doing with their days, because I'm the only person in my area who's won one award, never mind two.

Anyway, the good news part of this is, I now have proof for Mr. Rattus that I do have good reason to be disgruntled and tired when I get home. Like many people, he thinks that cubicle droning is a cakewalk. Hah, I say.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Congrats on the award, Rattus.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Congratulations Rattus!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

lei
    FORT Fogey

Congratulations, Rattus! How good to be acknowledged in this way

That's awesome Rattus. I hope you do something fun with the unexpected bonus.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Rattus...way to go! It's nice to get a pat on the back sometimes, I'm sure you deserved it.

Rattus - Congratulations. It's nice to be appreciated . . . and in such a monetary way! Have fun spending it.

That's awesome, Rattus.

I received my official notice that I'm getting a raise at the end of the month. They are pretty strictly regulated, but they are still based partially on merit, so I was happy to see that I was qualified for one.

I also wanted to post about the cool thing that happened to me last week. When I was growing up, I had a lamp that sat beside my bed for 18 years. I'd had it from the time I was born. It was a little glass lamp with pink roses on it. When I went away to college, my mom was washing the top globe and cracked it. She was going to throw it away, but I begged her not to and rescued it the next time I went to her house. Well, my ex-husband shattered it within a year. I was so crushed and sad when I had to throw it away that I cried.

So this past weekend, I was at an antique store in Waynesville, Ohio (a very cool little town) and when I was getting ready to leave, guess what I saw? Not just one, but TWO lamps that were identical to the one I'd had growing up! I squealed and did a little happy dance. I only had enough money with me to get one, but I was so happy that I was teary-eyed as I was paying for it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread