+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2438705;
    Yesterday my younger daughter left for Navy boot camp. She really wanted this so it's good news, even though Mom is a little bummed... I already miss her!
    As tough as it is to let go, you must be really proud of her!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

My family went to the annual Cub/Boy Scout steak dinner last night. After the dinner and meeting, we do a Chinese auction. My son won two gift certificates for area restaurants! Of course it was on my tickets, but he's insisting the certificates are his. I think I can coerce him into sharing . . .

I'm curious--what is a Chinese auction?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

*Raises hand* I know! I know! In Chinese auction you get tickets to put into a can in front of the prize you're hoping to win. There is usually a whole long table of prizes donated by participants or community businesses (gift certificates). Most give you something like 5 tickets for a dollar so you can divy up your chances on different things. Now ask me what a Yankee Swap is... those are BRUTAL!
    Count your blessings!

What you call a Chinese auction, I call a brown-bag auction. I've won some pretty nice stuff at the ones held at our regional Newf specialty show.

I'll bite--what is a Yankee Swap?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

lei
    FORT Fogey

It's been a few days. I found it hard to post here after the loss of our 16-1/2 year old kitty friend, Rainey (though the "Animal Lovers" thread was very healing for me.)

But all along I have been counting my blessings that she went peacefully, and for everything else good in my life.

Today I have some very happy news. We adopted a new kitten. He is an incredible joy and I feel our Rainey smiling down upon us

Congratulations to everyone who has posted since my last visit. Blessings to you all!

That's great lei.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2439010;
    I could no more go to the shelter and not come back with a new addition to the family than I could go to See's Candies and not eat the free sample.
    You just had to pull an Uncle David, didn't you?

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2439598;
    That's great lei.

You just had to pull an Uncle David, didn't you?
    I was laughing about that all morning

Thanks, Unk! I am one proud mama

Congrats on the new kitty, lei! I saw the pictures on the other thread, and he's absolutely adorable. And what big ears!!!

FORT Fan

I just got a call from a very close friend today. She is 20 weeks pregnant and had her ultrasound this morning. She is going to have a baby girl, and the baby looks perfectly healthy. My daughter is 3 months now. I am 1) delighted that my friend is so happy 2) emotional because I love hearing that babies are healthy 3) happy that my daughter will have a little friend her age

What a lovely day. Probably still pregnancy hormones, but this news made me cry. I hope you are all doing well.

+ Reply to Thread