+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Good news....hmmm...I'm sure I have some...lol. I just have to think about it for a minute...

Oh! My son is a junior and decided to go to a career center for his junior and senior years. Of course, it costs a bit more, but he chose to take Automotive Tech and he is finally putting his education to good use. He changed my oil and replaced my brakes last night! It's going to be wonderful having a mechanic in the family.

Our bathroom remodel is moving along at a smooth pace. We have the new shower installed and the new cabinet up, plus most of the drywall is up and ready for paint. Now, we just have to agree on a sink and flooring. My hubby and I have completely different tastes, so everything is usually a battle, but with this project, we are actually agreeing on most things.

My 4 year old is finally sleeping in his own bed! It's been a struggle to get him out of ours (why oh why did we ever allow it?) and for the last month, he has been sleeping in his own. Yay!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2362912;

My 4 year old is finally sleeping in his own bed! It's been a struggle to get him out of ours (why oh why did we ever allow it?) and for the last month, he has been sleeping in his own. Yay!
    That is good news. We had a very hard time with that and I used to ask myself the same question. Mine is 16 and still asks to sleep on the floor in our room occasionally. I didn't think we'd EVER get her back in her own bed.
    And when we did, she could sneak up on us and ever so slowly (and we had a water bed at the time, not exactly the kind of bed you can stealthily sneak into) climb into bed and we'd wake up in the morning and there she was. Neither one of us ever woke up. I still don't know how she managed to do it.
    But mine was over 4 before we got her back in her own bed for good.

New parents, do NOT start this, they will end up married and still sleeping with you!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I Is Stephanie

I've decided that I'm too pessimistic, so to try to counter my natural pessimism, I am going to try to post something here once a week.

So, for this week's good news, I will talk about my "brother's" college career. I'm not sure if I'm happy for him or sad for me, so I'll call it good news.

Craig is a senior in high school. I met him 3 years ago, on his 15th birthday. It was a rocky relationship at first, I used a lot of adjctives to describe him, everything from "loser" to "creepy pervert." I did not like him at all. Then, I don't know what happened, but I suddenly found myself becoming really close to him, thinking that maybe I was wrong about this kid. Over the next few months, I became really close to him, until I met his girlfriend.

Well, actually, I knew her. I blame myself for the relationship to this day. They did not get along at all, so I told them to just get over it, I was friends with both of them, they had to accept each other or lose me. A few days pased, and, the next thing I know, they're making ouit in the hallway! Naturally, I was pissed. Maybe at him. Maybe at her. Maybe at me. To this day I don't know. Eventually, they broke up, him claiming that she was only 14 and too immaute for him, her claiming that for a 16-year-old, he couldn't kiss to save his life. Yeah, she's pretty shallow sometimes. They goit into this huge fight, and even to this day, I can't bring up one without the other one getting all defensive. Craig told me to tell him that I told him so, because I did. Tamara said that I never should have met him. But moving on.

That was in April of last year. This past September, Craig and I finally decided that it was all good. We finally started to get really close again, until it got to the point where we were telling each other anything and everything we could think of. Our darkest secrets, why we hate our teachers, what we wanted all of our special moments to look like, sexually tainted jokes, you name it, we talked about it. It got to the point where we, even though we weren't best friends, were telling each other more then we were telling our best friends. I trusted him, and he trusted me.

Then, I got a boyfriend. Craig never supported me and this kid, so it came as no surprise that Craig did everything in hos power to scare this kid into breaking up with me. But, as it turns out, I was the one who did the breaking up. One day, Nate was talking to me, adnd he suddenly said "Oh, by the way, Craig is a pervert." I spit out my soda and saked him to repeat it, and what he said was that he had seen Craig talking to an 8th grader. I asked how this made him a pervert, and he said that he had seen Craig hug her. He then proceeded to tel lme that Craig was pond scum, and that I shouldn't waste my time talking to him. I told Nate to take it back, and, when he didn't, I ended it, saying that if he couldn't deal with my brother, he couldn't deal with me. I told Craig that I had ended it because I decided that I didn't like Nate. To this day, he doesn't know that I ended it for him.

A few weeks later, we were causing general chaos in a convience store (because we're so cool like that), and suddenly he stopped and said "I got into Annapolis. I thought you should be one of the first people to know." Annapolis is Annapolis Naval Academy, and it was his number one college. I froze up. I was almost hoping that he wouldn't get in, because it's far away, and I can't see him anymore. Well, just the other day he decided that he's going to try to go SEALs, and, if he makes it, he probably won't be home for the holidays.

So I got him a graduation gift. Sheet music. His favorite. Well, not really, but he's only allowed to bring his guitar, and, since we have a few songs that mean a lot to both of us, I got him the sheet music for them. So I guess I'm happy for him, I know it's all he really wanted, was to do service for his country. BUt, at the same time, I"m upset that he's leaving. He has to be there June 26th to qualify for SEALs, so I only have a few weks left.

I just figured out why I'm putting this here. It's not my good news, but his. I want to be happy for him, but I need some help. I hope you guys can read this novel and be happy for him, and maybe I'll be able to stop being so selfish about this. I don't know. I hope so.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Stephanie - I can understand your mixed feelings on this, but I applaud you for trying to be happy for your friend.

I am going to see RENT on Sunday
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I Is Stephanie

Ooh...everyone says that I'm missing out on life not seeing Rent, JLuvs--you'll have to tell me how it is and if I need to see it!
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2368907;
    Ooh...everyone says that I'm missing out on life not seeing Rent, JLuvs--you'll have to tell me how it is and if I need to see it!
    I can already tell you that you are missing out I saw the original cast in NYC. My first Broadway show ever. The two original male leads, Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal are going to be back in RENT for 6 weeks in NYC this summer I am already trying to find cheap plane tickets so I can see them again. I have seen the original LA and London casts as well. My name is JL and I am a RENT-head.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

MRD

Stephanie,
    You should be very happy for him. Getting into the Naval Acadamy is a BIG thing. They don't just accept anyone. They pick the best and if your friend made it, then he is one of the best. And if he stays in the military, having been to the one of the service acadamies is a huge boon to his career. Especially if he makes SEALS. They are the navy's elite group and its very rigerous training to make it. Sounds like this is an incredible guy and his happiness should be yours as well.
    We don't always get what we want for our friends, but we should be happy for their decisions none the less if they are happy. This young man, is probably walking on sunshine right now and as his friend, you should be too.
    This is an incredible, wonderful accomplishment on his part. Just to get in. Seriously.
    You must have high grades (typically be in the top 20% of your class), high SAT scores, athelitics, leadership skills, community service work and of course having a Senator or Congressman nominate you to go. There is only a very limited number of young men and women that are accepted into the 4 service acadamies each year, so just getting accepted means he's pretty exceptional. Someone like that should be very proud of themselves and has the right to be happy and have everyone else happy for him as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I Is Stephanie

I know MRD. And I am happy for him, just not as happy as I feel like I should be. It's all he even talks about these days, he's neglected all his hobbies to get ready for it, and he always said that if he has to die young, he wants it to be for his country. Now he has the oppurtunity, and I find myself being not happy. I don't know if it's because he's leaving or what, but I know something's not right. I'm trying to be happy. Believe me, I have never tried harder. It's not working though.

ETA: Ok, so I'm just whining now. But it's really good news for him. If you could see how happy he was when he realized that he qualified to go SEALs, you would have wondered if there was happyness in the world--I had never seen anyone happier.
    Last edited by 11sstephanie; 05-05-2007 at 11:27 AM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

11ssteph---two issues here, and maybe I'm speaking for some of the other old fogies here...
    first, your issue... hard to be happy for a friend's news that will mean you see so much less of your friend, and which might even mean you lose him forever (taking the really pessimistic view you mention), and hard not to be a little hurt that he seems to be so happy about leaving you as it were, or at least so happy he's not even thinking about that down side at all. So just human of you to be a bit miffed and sad, and definitely on the better than average side of human for you that you are trying so hard to be happy for him, and so far have resisted saying, but won't you even miss me a little bit? Don't worry, when he comes down from the high of getting in a bit he'll start to think about that and about how he can stay in touch. But it may take a while....

2nd, my issue, I'm sorry, but I do think it a bit odd that a guy so much older is such good friends with you, hugs 8th grade girls when he's a senior, etc. Usually 3 or 4 years age difference is HUGE at your age, even if it is teensy difference later in life.
    Or maybe he didn't like your boyfriend because he was jealous? Maybe you didn't like him with Tamara because you were a little bit jealous? Maybe there's a little something beyond friendship here (not that I completely buy into "When Harry Met Sally", but there's some truth to that)? And I know we always forget how old you really are because you sound so grown up and mature, and not just mature for your age, and maybe that's why you get on so well with a much older guy, but maybe you've dodged a bullet here, and it will be better all around if the next time you have a lot of time to spend with him is when you are 18..... OK, sorry to be such a downer, and I don't want you to "break up with FORT" because of my worries... even if you are mad at me for suggesting this, remember there are lots of other, less paranoid, people here at FORT--and we all care about you.

I Is Stephanie

No, Craig's the type of guy that's friends with everybody. And I have considered that maybe it's more then a friendship, to the point that I got my friends and asked them. They said exactly what I said, that we're like siblings. 'Cept for 'lanna, she said we're like perverts...

He didn't like the boyfriend becuase...well, Nate's not exactly a clean-cut character, we'll just say that his reputation preceeds him. And Tamara--I know why I was so unhappy with the relationship. He was, at that point, legal age to mess around, she was not, and I have the misfortune of knowing her too well. She uses a guy/girl until she's had her fun, then dumps them. She went through 20 boyfriend/girlfriends in the 2 years before that, the two years that I had known her. For her, this was an added bonus, because if she could keep it togehther long enough, she might get a lawsuit out of it (I don't know if I'm more upset or disgusted by her thinking). I tried to warn him, but he wouldn't listen. Sure enough, in October he came running up to me in tears, and told me that she was trying to press charges for assaulting a minor, and to this day he regrets the relationship at all. He claims that he neer even touched her, and, crazy as it sounds, I believe him. And then I don't know how credible this is, but she just transferred schools, and I heard from a girl who knows a guy who's best friend's cousin goes to her current school (if you followed that, you're my hero) that she was commited for being clinically insane.

I'm not mad at you, or anyone, because I know that you mean well. I've been living in fear of that same thing myself for a while, and I'm still not totally sure what's going on, I just don't think there's anything else. If there is, by the next time I see him, I'll be at least 16, so most of the issues that could arise will be gone.

I think I'm just going to keep trying to be happy for him until he leaves in a few weeks, then, if by that point, I still can't bring myself to be as cheery about this as he is, I'll give up. I mean, I don't want to sound pessimistic about it all, but if he's not here, there's no use pretending that I support this decision.

Thank you for your thoughts, PWS, they helped.

+ Reply to Thread