+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

I got some good news in the mail today. I appealed my property-tax appraisal, and as a result the valuation dropped $12,500. I'm not sure what that will translate to at tax time, but it's got to help!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Newf, it depends on the property tax rate in your state/county. I work for a title company and deal with tax assesments and certifications all the time, and around here, that would probably be about $80-100 off your total amount due at the end of the year. If you escrow for taxes/insurance with your mortgage payment, it might take your lender a little while longer to make the adjustment to your payments, but at the end of the year, your escrow adjustment would result in an overage that should be refunded to you. That's always nice... getting checks in the mail.

Still no bruise. The stupid girl didn't even apologize for hitting me. The opposing team was "warming up" right in front of the home bleachers.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2352912;
    Still no bruise. The stupid girl didn't even apologize for hitting me. The opposing team was "warming up" right in front of the home bleachers.
    I'm glad you aren't bruising. I always seem to sport a few at a time. I'm not exactly graceful..lol. That's a shame the kid didn't apologize. Especially with you being her elder. What are parents not teaching their kids these days?

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2352818;
    Newf, it depends on the property tax rate in your state/county. I work for a title company and deal with tax assesments and certifications all the time, and around here, that would probably be about $80-100 off your total amount due at the end of the year. If you escrow for taxes/insurance with your mortgage payment, it might take your lender a little while longer to make the adjustment to your payments, but at the end of the year, your escrow adjustment would result in an overage that should be refunded to you. That's always nice... getting checks in the mail.
    I pay my own tax; I don't have an escrow account. I just haven't taken the time to figure what percentage drop I was given and apply that to what I paid this past tax year. If I do that' I'm afraid it will be some piddly amount, and I'll lose the warm fuzzies that I get from the decreased valuation

OK, I just ran the numbers. It works out to about $170 less on my property tax bill next fall, IF the idiot politicians don't increase any of the mill levies. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2352790;
    I got some good news in the mail today. I appealed my property-tax appraisal, and as a result the valuation dropped $12,500. I'm not sure what that will translate to at tax time, but it's got to help!
    I have musical tourette's today, so reading this has me now singing:

"I fought the law and I won!"

Good for you, Newf and $170 is a couple weeks of groceries or a month's food for the Newf's right? (I always tend to see things like that as "hey, that's my electric bill for a month")

Remote Goddess, my family was in the title business for 110 years. Seems like I worked there at least 108 of them!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2352991;
    OK, I just ran the numbers. It works out to about $170 less on my property tax bill next fall, IF the idiot politicians don't increase any of the mill levies. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick
    That is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. But then again, few things aren't better than that .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

11stephanie: Good luck. You'd be a great MC.

cricketeen: Have you ever tried Dubonnet, on ice with a squirt of lemon?

Newf: That's great news on the tax front. Our property taxes are increasing at a ridiculous rate. They are no longer based on a mill rate, but are tied to the real estate real value. It sucks. The city is booming, so my property is worth more, therefore taxed more, but I've done nothing to it to increase the value. That's good if you sell, but I'm not selling.

Gutmutter: Glad you didn't bruise. She should have apologized.
    ----------------

My good news is that I get a wee little income tax refund this year. Just over $100 - it's going towards my property tax increase. .
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

My daughter's middle school softball team won both their games last night! The really great part is that my daughter was the reason they won game #2. She was up to bat, bases loaded, two outs... and she hit a double, bringing in two runs. They called the game at the end of that inning, and we won by two. Everyone was so excited about it. They haven't had a very good season this year, so two wins in one night was cause for celebration! She is catcher, her BFF is pitcher, and her other BFF is shortstop, so we all went out for ice cream afterward. (Totally blew the diet, but oh well, I say it was worth it!)

Awesome news, remote goddess! You must be really proud of your daughter. Something like that gives them such a huge boost to their self esteem.

+ Reply to Thread