+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree786Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

My good news is that The Bachelor is on tonight. Woot!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I Is Stephanie

Well, my good news isn't that I'm gong to college, or that I passed my driver's test (I wish), but more history-related.

We have to write a 5-7 page thesis paper on a revolution, and I chose the Industrial Revolution, with the challenge of proving that it was a revolution. We were going over our thesis statements in class today, and mine was the only one (out of 13) that didn't have any issues with wording, or clarity, or not actually being a thesis...

So I went to help my friend with his, which was on the American Revolution (from the point of the British), and I was not only the only person in the class who got what he was trying to say, but, I re-wrote the thesis for him, and, while I technically wasn't supposed to do that, my teacher loved my re-write so much that she said that if he switched a couple of phrases around, she'd overlook the fact that I had written it. I don't know if that's good or not, but, either way, to know that I, the youngest person in the class (by almost 2 years in some cases), have the firmest grasp of how to write a thesis makes me happy. Now I just have to write the paper...
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

I have a problem with this Steph.....why do YOU have to write the thesis? Geesh, you did the whole darn thing for this kid and now you have to write it too? Why can't he?

You should not be doing someone else's thesis nor should your teacher condone it. Who gets the grade? You or the other kid (who did not write his own thesis!?!)

Helping out is one thing...gathering info, outlining, and making sure all reference materials are footnoted, etc., etc. But you are doing this kid no favors by doing HIS work for him.

I am really surprised (or maybe not) that the teacher didn't tell you to go sit back down and leave the kid alone.

I Is Stephanie

Well, just the thesis statement. He had written the thesis itself, and was just having trouble with the argument. So I read it and summed it up for him...: /

Well, no, I don't like that either. What happened was he had his thesis done, and we were all sharing what our thesis was on, and when it got to him, his was totally confusing and a mess, even the teacher couldn't understand the statement. I, however, understood what he was trying to argue, so I helped him word the statement so tahat it made a better, clearer argument that still fitted the paper he had written. "The American Revolution should have had a third party, becuase if you were Pro-America but Anti-Violence, you were unfairly labeled as a loyalist." That's all I did. Promise.
    Last edited by 11sstephanie; 04-24-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Re-writing for clarity
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

MRD

My good news is entirely selfish. But I found out last night that for the first time since I met my husband, I now weigh less than he does.

I don't know why, but this fact, just has made my week!

I also got very good news about future jobs available for my particular specialty that I'm majoring in in college. There are more jobs right now than there are people to fill them. I hope that's the case when I graduate!!!!
    This came from my advisor, so I'm relying on the fact he's right about this.
    He also advised me to take a lot of classes on Chinese history and military history as he said that it is the concensus in the military history community that that will be the next big area of concern for us in the next 10 years and that having that kind of background would almost guarantee me a job.
    He's been really good at anwering my questions and acknowledging my concerns about future employment. I never felt that way about my advisor in college before. I felt more like I was a bother to him and he didn't want to do any advising at all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know what you mean, Rosie, an advisor who actually advises! Who knew?
    My college advisor wasn't unconcerned, just clueless.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2347387;
    I also got very good news about future jobs available for my particular specialty that I'm majoring in in college. There are more jobs right now than there are people to fill them. I hope that's the case when I graduate!!!!
    This came from my advisor, so I'm relying on the fact he's right about this.
    He also advised me to take a lot of classes on Chinese history and military history as he said that it is the concensus in the military history community that that will be the next big area of concern for us in the next 10 years and that having that kind of background would almost guarantee me a job.
    He's been really good at anwering my questions and acknowledging my concerns about future employment. I never felt that way about my advisor in college before. I felt more like I was a bother to him and he didn't want to do any advising at all.
    So, that sounds like you are already taking classes - good for you! I knew you had been talking about it. Is that working out ok along with homeschooling your daughter, or are you guys even still doing that? I don't remember if you have mentioned that lately. It's good to have a reliable counselor, my son's counselor had him taking classes he didn't need/didn't count for his major during his first year and now he's had to take summer school to get caught up so he can graduate next year. So, you're lucky to have found a good one.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2347551;
    So, that sounds like you are already taking classes - good for you! I knew you had been talking about it. Is that working out ok along with homeschooling your daughter, or are you guys even still doing that? I don't remember if you have mentioned that lately. It's good to have a reliable counselor, my son's counselor had him taking classes he didn't need/didn't count for his major during his first year and now he's had to take summer school to get caught up so he can graduate next year. So, you're lucky to have found a good one.
    Actually, I start on June 5, but my advisor has been great to me already. He emails me about once or twice a week and says don't hesitate to contact him. He's sent me a lot of good information (almost too much sometimes as I can't seem to digest it all or visit all the links he sends me. But I'm NOT complaining. Better too much than too little).

Yes, we are still homeschooling. There hasn't really been anything to report. She does a lot of independent work on the computer, so I don't have to do a lot. I do need to start on my year end report though. But things are going well and she's actually ahead of where she needs to be in math. I'm trying to find out now if we can get her tested to possibly skip a grade or graduate early. We've been doing both World and American history simultaneously and also her science work is a bit accelerated as well. Her English is already a year ahead. The only thing she needs to graduate is more math, one more science and one more English and I think that's it. I need to double check on some of this. We've been to the comm. college and know what we need to do to get her registered for fall classes and those will count as both HS and college credit, so we may opt to get her in there for the 3 or 4 classes she'll need to graduate. I have to talk to the advisor at the CC to see if that is ok.
    She's taking the placement test for them at the end of May.
    All that and she's working too. She's really motivated to get in college early, so that helps.
    This has actually been really good for her. I'm glad we decided to do it as where she was, she would not have gotten the extra work and pulled ahead.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2347238;
    Well, just the thesis statement. He had written the thesis itself, and was just having trouble with the argument. So I read it and summed it up for him...: /

Well, no, I don't like that either. What happened was he had his thesis done, and we were all sharing what our thesis was on, and when it got to him, his was totally confusing and a mess, even the teacher couldn't understand the statement. I, however, understood what he was trying to argue, so I helped him word the statement so tahat it made a better, clearer argument that still fitted the paper he had written. "The American Revolution should have had a third party, becuase if you were Pro-America but Anti-Violence, you were unfairly labeled as a loyalist." That's all I did. Promise.

Okay Stephanie, that makes more sense. I just didn't want to see you doing all the work and someone else getting all the credit!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2347640;
    Actually, I start on June 5, but my advisor has been great to me already. He emails me about once or twice a week and says don't hesitate to contact him. He's sent me a lot of good information (almost too much sometimes as I can't seem to digest it all or visit all the links he sends me. But I'm NOT complaining. Better too much than too little).

Yes, we are still homeschooling. There hasn't really been anything to report. She does a lot of independent work on the computer, so I don't have to do a lot. I do need to start on my year end report though. But things are going well and she's actually ahead of where she needs to be in math. I'm trying to find out now if we can get her tested to possibly skip a grade or graduate early. We've been doing both World and American history simultaneously and also her science work is a bit accelerated as well. Her English is already a year ahead. The only thing she needs to graduate is more math, one more science and one more English and I think that's it. I need to double check on some of this. We've been to the comm. college and know what we need to do to get her registered for fall classes and those will count as both HS and college credit, so we may opt to get her in there for the 3 or 4 classes she'll need to graduate. I have to talk to the advisor at the CC to see if that is ok.
    She's taking the placement test for them at the end of May.
    All that and she's working too. She's really motivated to get in college early, so that helps.
    This has actually been really good for her. I'm glad we decided to do it as where she was, she would not have gotten the extra work and pulled ahead.
    That's great that it's all working out so well. What college will you be attending? I think there are quite a few to choose from out there, maybe it will work out that you and your daughter can go to the same school.

+ Reply to Thread