+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

  1. #3921
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2339652;
    Congrats femme fatale on your driving test results! That's great!

    MRD: More congrats on your decision to go back to school. What are you taking...Bachelor of ? and what is your major going to be? I'm glad to hear you are leaving negativity behind and going forward for yourself. Your friends will keep up with you if they really want to. That's very good that the insurance company is going to help pay for your studies as well! WOO HOO!

    You Go Girl!
    PWS, thanks, that's a different slant. I don't understand why they'd feel that way though as these are friends that live in Florida, so they don't see me anyway anymore. Who knows. But I refuse to let the negatives get me down.

    Miss Kitty, thanks. I am getting a BA in Military History. I am currently the only woman in the program. I was going to go for regular history as that was my major before, but I realized that all the courses I wanted to take were in the military course selection and only 1 or 2 in general history, so there you go and what you may ask will someone do with a military history degree?
    I could work for the government. My advisor suggested Homeland Security. After I got up OFF the floor laughing (trust me, that is one area of the government I would NOT go to work for), he said that many museums, battlefields, etc., hire military historians. I could also do consulting work for the government. But what I REALLY want to do and I wouldn't have to move to D C to do it is Veteran's Advocacy. That is something that is sorely needed and something I have a little bit of experience with as I've seen what my dad, husband and his dad had to do dealing with the VA. So I think that being a veteran's advocate would be interesting, exciting and I'd be helping people. And it would give me access to even more military history from the people that lived it.
    My dad inspired me with his stories of his naval experiences during WWII and Korea. Funny thing is, my dad was in Naval Intelligence during Korea and was then loaned to the CIA for analysis. My advisor also suggested me going into intelligence. I just don't want to live in Washington DC or near it. And we all know the old joke: military intelligence is an oxymoron. I'd never get security clearance anyway, nor do I want to be tied in way, shape or form with the US governement in Intelligence or Homeland Security. But I do see myself working to help veterans get what they deserve from our government after having put their lives on the line for it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  2. #3922
    Staying Afloat speedbump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New England
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,952

    Re: Share your good news

    Good for you for going back to school.

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2340089;
    But what I REALLY want to do and I wouldn't have to move to D C to do it is Veteran's Advocacy. That is something that is sorely needed and something I have a little bit of experience with as I've seen what my dad, husband and his dad had to do dealing with the VA. So I think that being a veteran's advocate would be interesting, exciting and I'd be helping people. And it would give me access to even more military history from the people that lived it.
    Some unsolicited advice I'm offering is to rethink a degree in military history if being a VA advocate is what your aim is. Social work or psychology would get your foot in the VA door a lot faster. A VA advocate (working for the actual VA) doesn't push for new policies but is rather the voice to inform the member of what their current rights are.

    Now if you're looking to have a job in changing the current policies, a degree in poly sci/ econ and an internship for a Congressman/ Senator (or even an existing advocacy group) is a better stepping stone.

    Just wanted to throw that out on the plate since I've been experienced in the above for the last 15+ years.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

  3. #3923
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2341179;
    Good for you for going back to school.



    Some unsolicited advice I'm offering is to rethink a degree in military history if being a VA advocate is what your aim is. Social work or psychology would get your foot in the VA door a lot faster. A VA advocate (working for the actual VA) doesn't push for new policies but is rather the voice to inform the member of what their current rights are.

    Now if you're looking to have a job in changing the current policies, a degree in poly sci/ econ and an internship for a Congressman/ Senator (or even an existing advocacy group) is a better stepping stone.

    Just wanted to throw that out on the plate since I've been experienced in the above for the last 15+ years.
    Thanks for the info.
    I am not looking to work for the government, VA or otherwise. There are other advocacy groups out there that are not government affliated.
    Honestly at this point, I just want to get started in school. I can worry about a job later, as I have at least 2 more years to go for the degree.

    And I have thought about taking classes in psychology as well.

    But I am at the point where I need a degree. Where we live now, there are so many people with degrees looking for work, that someone like me without one, doesn't stand a chance, other than a job asking: "do you want fries with that?".
    The job I used to do in Florida, that I am trained to do, and did well, I need a degree here, to do the exact same job.

    But I am extremely interested in military history and whatever I decide to do after graduation, I want to have something to do with that field. I realize its VERY specialized, but I know that I have a better chance of sticking with college and finishing this time if I take something I'm interested in than something I'm not.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  4. #3924
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,368

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2341206;
    Thanks for the info.
    I am not looking to work for the government, VA or otherwise. There are other advocacy groups out there that are not government affliated.
    Honestly at this point, I just want to get started in school. I can worry about a job later, as I have at least 2 more years to go for the degree.

    And I have thought about taking classes in psychology as well.

    But I am at the point where I need a degree. Where we live now, there are so many people with degrees looking for work, that someone like me without one, doesn't stand a chance, other than a job asking: "do you want fries with that?".
    The job I used to do in Florida, that I am trained to do, and did well, I need a degree here, to do the exact same job.

    But I am extremely interested in military history and whatever I decide to do after graduation, I want to have something to do with that field. I realize its VERY specialized, but I know that I have a better chance of sticking with college and finishing this time if I take something I'm interested in than something I'm not.
    That is absolutely the best advice anyone could give a college student, mrd! If you want any kind of counseling position above the metaphorical "you want fries with that" level you will have to get a MA in psych or an MSW anyway, so take something you enjoy for now. If you do take some psych classes be sure to take a statistics class (and do well), that's the one thing you will for sure need and that they will look at for grad school--and an offbeat major like that, but that fits with your career goals, plus a few psych classes to show you can do well in those classes may be all you'd need for a MA program in counseling psych.
    You could even become a park ranger at one of the battlefield sites near you--visited one last summer (collecting info for my brothers who are really into that stuff) and the ranger clearly had done his homework, made it very interesting.
    Anyway, I bet the director of your undergrad major will have some good ideas on "what you can do with this major" based on past graduates.
    So go with what you love, and then figure out a way to make a living from it. I can't tell you how my extra curricular interests have helped me get jobs--more things that I love, that tie into my academic loves.

  5. #3925
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2341882;
    That is absolutely the best advice anyone could give a college student, mrd! If you want any kind of counseling position above the metaphorical "you want fries with that" level you will have to get a MA in psych or an MSW anyway, so take something you enjoy for now. If you do take some psych classes be sure to take a statistics class (and do well), that's the one thing you will for sure need and that they will look at for grad school--and an offbeat major like that, but that fits with your career goals, plus a few psych classes to show you can do well in those classes may be all you'd need for a MA program in counseling psych.
    You could even become a park ranger at one of the battlefield sites near you--visited one last summer (collecting info for my brothers who are really into that stuff) and the ranger clearly had done his homework, made it very interesting.
    Anyway, I bet the director of your undergrad major will have some good ideas on "what you can do with this major" based on past graduates.
    So go with what you love, and then figure out a way to make a living from it. I can't tell you how my extra curricular interests have helped me get jobs--more things that I love, that tie into my academic loves.
    My advisor suggested battlefields and museums too and I think I would actually like that too. And I'm in a good state for it as we have both Revolutionary War and Civil War sites. The state is FULL of them. And we aren't limited to staying in this state either. I know I don't want to work or live near DC, but in a few years, our daughter will be out on her own, both sets of parents have passed away, so hubby and I could move whereever I get a job offer.

    It's actually kind of exciting knowing that we could go anywhere if we wanted too. I do like it here, but who knows, we may want to move again in a few years.

    There are actually quite a few areas that a military historian can go into after graduation. Some for the government, some doing other things. I just don't really know yet. I know what I might like to do, but its not set in stone. I just like the wide open possibilities at this moment. Like I said, its kind of exciting to know that there are so many possibilities and we'd be free to travel if needed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  6. #3926
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,368

    Re: Share your good news

    Do you need a Masters degree to work as a military historian at. say, a park? Or is a BA enough? I have no clue--never knew anyone who did this! I agree, your freedom to move coming up is great--maybe you'll finish up just as that comes up. I'm almost jealous! Oh, one thing, that probably goes in the advice to parents thread... try to stay where your daughter went to high school at least until after the first Thanksgiving/Christmas breaks of her freshman year--one of the most fun/growing things is to come home from college and meet up with your high school friends again. After those first breaks not such a big deal, but those first ones very interesting to see how you've all changed/or how your perspective on people has changed.

  7. #3927
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2343289;
    Do you need a Masters degree to work as a military historian at. say, a park? Or is a BA enough? I have no clue--never knew anyone who did this! I agree, your freedom to move coming up is great--maybe you'll finish up just as that comes up. I'm almost jealous! Oh, one thing, that probably goes in the advice to parents thread... try to stay where your daughter went to high school at least until after the first Thanksgiving/Christmas breaks of her freshman year--one of the most fun/growing things is to come home from college and meet up with your high school friends again. After those first breaks not such a big deal, but those first ones very interesting to see how you've all changed/or how your perspective on people has changed.
    Um, that's kind of too late already. We moved between her freshman and sophomore years last year. We home school her now. She is still in touch with all her old friends in Florida and is going down this summer. But as she's not in a regular highschool now and we moved away already from where she grew up, it shouldn't matter where we move as she has already told us she's moving back to Florida for college.

    I may pursue my masters. I want to get the bachelor's out of the way first and see what options are open, how long it took me, do I want to continue, etc.
    Maybe I should post this in psychic moments, but I just feel that this is the right move for me degree wise. I just feel that I won't have a problem using it later. Weird, but true.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  8. #3928
    FORT Fogey katgib13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Share your good news

    Congrats on going back to school! I just graduated in March. I went back to be a Vet Technician. I love animals and can't wait to go back to work, but I can't seem to pull myself away from my youngest son, either.

  9. #3929
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704

    Re: Share your good news

    MRD: I hope your college decision works out well for you. It's great that you knwo what you are interested in and you will enjoy!

    catgib13: Congrats on being a Vet Technician! Anyone who loves and takes care of animals is a great person!!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  10. #3930
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,368

    Re: Share your good news

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2343360;
    Um, that's kind of too late already. We moved between her freshman and sophomore years last year. We home school her now. She is still in touch with all her old friends in Florida and is going down this summer. But as she's not in a regular highschool now and we moved away already from where she grew up, it shouldn't matter where we move as she has already told us she's moving back to Florida for college.

    I may pursue my masters. I want to get the bachelor's out of the way first and see what options are open, how long it took me, do I want to continue, etc.
    Maybe I should post this in psychic moments, but I just feel that this is the right move for me degree wise. I just feel that I won't have a problem using it later. Weird, but true.
    Oh right, I should know that--seen it on other threads--sorry!!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.