+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

MRD

Re: Share your good news

Congratulations rt1ky and femme. It's so satisfying to have a job well done behind you.

I have been accepted in college and hope to finish up my bachelor's degree in the next couple years. I am so excited (except for the financial aid paperwork that is going make me go bald by pulling out my hair).

I've made some other decisions in my life recently that have enabled me to let go of old, hurtful relationships and start a new, fresh phase of my life. I feel 18 again, with the entire world stretching out before me and all the toxic crap that was holding me back gone. I swear I feel like I've lost a lot more weight by getting all the negative people and negative stuff out of my life. A huge weight has lifted off my shoulders. I feel like I could soar like a bird now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I hope all goes well for you in your education pursuits, MRD. That's something I've always regretted - that I never finished college. At this stage of my life, I just don't see the benefit any more. I'm too involved in other things - my church, Scouts. I wouldn't have a free second!

Great news, MRD!! Let me know how it goes with you-I only had one year to go when I left. If I ever go back, it'll take 2 or 3 years since things have changed so much. I am a little bit envious!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2334666;
    I hope all goes well for you in your education pursuits, MRD. That's something I've always regretted - that I never finished college. At this stage of my life, I just don't see the benefit any more. I'm too involved in other things - my church, Scouts. I wouldn't have a free second!
    I used to feel exactly like you did Scoutmom, but as my daughter has gotten older, more independent and I'm no longer involved in scouting or other activities as much, I've realized that when she moves on (and she will eventually to start her own life), the life I had that centered around her will be gone and so I decided that now was the time to do something FOR ME. It's never to late to work on your education. I know now that by the time she has left for college and gone on to live her own life independently of us, I need to have something of my own and this is what I've decided to do. I regretted not finishing school and now I can do something about that and I hope to enjoy a fulfilling career that that degree will help me to get.
    And I hope to set a good example for her as I take classes while she is still at home.

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it. I've managed to get some not very encouraging reactions from a few friends which I thought was odd. But oh well. I know this is what I want to do and what I am ready to do at this point and only I can make that decision, not my friends.

Thanks as well Famita. I'm waiting to hear what's going to transfer and what I may have to take over. I needed two more years when I left, so I hope I don't have to redo a lot of what I already took.
    I want to get into my major. Those are the classes I am REALLY looking forward too.

Good luck with your college endeavours MRD! And also I agree with you emotional baggage and negative things are hard to deal with, and I'm glad that you've found a way to deal with it and be left happy!

MRD

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

femme fatale, I should have read your sig line way before now. Could have saved me some time and trouble. Great quote by the way.

Thanks again for the encouragement

Congratulations on your big step, MRD! Who knows why some people react the way they do? Forget the friends' negativity and forge ahead with your goals.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2334976;
    Congratulations on your big step, MRD! Who knows why some people react the way they do? Forget the friends' negativity and forge ahead with your goals.
    One of the things I've learned in therapy is that people really do dislike change. And if someone in their lives is making a change (going back to school, changing jobs, losing weight, etc.) it FORCES them to make changes or it makes them think they have to make changes and they resist that and can subconsciously sabotage the person who is making a good change in their lives.

And I really think that is true if you stop and really think about it. So I think that by my going back to school, some of my friends are resistant to the status quo changing and they resent it. Or they are jealous. But either way, I am doing it for me, not them, so I really dont' care.

My other good news today is that the weather is beautiful and I have finally made friends with Hummerhead across the street. Spring must really be affecting people as the lady at the end of the cul-de-sac and now Hummer head guy have both introduced themselves and engaged in actual conversation. I guess after living here 8 months, they've decided we aren't bad after all. And he seemed really nice, not at all the way I've been thinking of him the entire time we lived here. AND he was very friendly to the dogs and that always rates a person higher up in my book.

Still have the glaring neighbor to the side, but from what I hear, doubt anything will change her. Hmm, wonder if throwing a neighborhood block party might be fun and interesting and get people out of their houses and meeting each other and making friends. I'm in a very charitable and expansive mood today.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Congrats, mrd! Here's another (slightly more positive) interpretation of why the friends may not be all that supportive--they may fear losing you--that you will make new, college educated friends and either you will not have time for them or that you will somehow look down on them. I have to say sadly it's a pretty common experience when adults go back to college....
    The rest of you still feeling that sense of incompletion--remember often a local school will let you take just one course at a time...something most people can manage. Then years from now when the kids/other time consumers are gone from your day to day life, you may not be finished with your degree, but you'll be way closer than you would have been if those years had just gone by w/o you taking anything. education!

Congrats femme fatale on your driving test results! That's great!

MRD: More congrats on your decision to go back to school. What are you taking...Bachelor of ? and what is your major going to be? I'm glad to hear you are leaving negativity behind and going forward for yourself. Your friends will keep up with you if they really want to. That's very good that the insurance company is going to help pay for your studies as well! WOO HOO!

You Go Girl!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread