+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Share your good news

My good news - My husband and I, at the urging of our son and some of his friends, have started a Venturing Crew, which is a program of Boy Scouts of America. The youth seem very interested, we've been recruiting adults to help, and things seem to be moving right along. We're going to be looking into service projects the youth can do (ages 14 through 20), so any suggestions/ideas are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2210277;
    I'm a single mom - 3 teens with 2 in college, a drafty old farmhouse and the wind is cranking right now which makes me cringe. All it would take is a branch through the roof to make me a little crazy. On the other hand, I have my health (!), a pantry full of food, a car that runs well, a family who could bail me out if I got in serious financial trouble, and 3 incredibly bright, healthy kids. It's like life is a palette full of paint. What picture do you want to create?
    The most wonderful picture you can imagine!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2210303;
    My good news - My husband and I, at the urging of our son and some of his friends, have started a Venturing Crew, which is a program of Boy Scouts of America. The youth seem very interested, we've been recruiting adults to help, and things seem to be moving right along. We're going to be looking into service projects the youth can do (ages 14 through 20), so any suggestions/ideas are welcome!
    The scouts by me put up birdhouses along our local walking trails - enough distance from the path to not scare the birds. I also heard of an eagle scout who put together an information kiosk at a local park entrance.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Maintaining trails at any state park is always appreciated and a fun outdoor activity.
    Count your blessings!

Thanks for the suggestions. We're trying to gather as many ideas as we can to present to the youth. Then they can pick and choose what they like or feel is most appropriate.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2210092;
    I'm stepping out of the dark shadows and into the sunshine again. And it feels good.
    Welcome back misskitty. I love your avatar!

Welcome back into the light, misskitty.

I'm trying to think what various activities my girl scouts used to do... anything with a nursing home - host a dance perhaps with the kids researching what kind of music would be their genre? Sponsor a fundraiser/awareness event for something like Big Brothers/Big Sisters? Collect hats and scarves to give to a cancer clinic?
    Count your blessings!

I Is Stephanie
    Well, my Gateway is tomorrow, and I was giving invites out to people, and this one kid came up to me. He's dabbled in drugs, and he drinks, but he's a really nice guy who lost most of his friends about a year ago when his girlfriend broke up with him.

So I invited him. Turns out, I'm the first person to invite him to a Gateway so far this year, and it's really sad, when I handed him the slip of paper that said he was invited, his eyes lit up.

It made me happy to see that, but, at the same time, I really feel sorry for him now, it brought back all these memories from when I was 10, I was in the same situation.

I'm going to try to be his friend- God knows he needs a couple right now. Wish me luck.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

What's a gateway?
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread