+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;2208432;
    Sorry that you didn't get to see the snow, MRD but I'm glad that you won't have to worry with being frozen in with the ice, either.

My good news - I'm finally getting to go home today! We have been stuck down here at our new house because the roads between here and our home south of Dallas have been too icy. They are predicting more freezing rain starting tonight through Saturday, so we have a brief weather window to get back home.

My daughter, who is 17, has been home by herself last weekend and this past week through the worst of the weather. I have felt INCREDIBLY guilty for leaving her alone in all of the mess, but of course she's been fine, it's just me being a "mom" that has worried about her. The one time she did lose power we called the electric company for her to report it and they had it back up and running within a couple of hours. It's not that I could have done anything differently had I been home with her, but still, I feel really guilty.

Of course, she reminds me that when she graduates in six months, she's off to 19 weeks of boot camp (she has already enlisted in the Army National Guard), and that she's perfectly fine of taking care of herself, but I remind her that for the next six months I still get to be protective of her - whether she likes it or not!
    Get home safely, chrelsey.

MRD
    We've got icicles! little ones. But they are icicles. I went out and took pictures of them. I'm sure all you Canadians and Northern Climate livers are laughing hysterically at me. But hey, at this point, I will take something little like my first snow or icicles to make me happy. I've never had this before, so its new and exciting.

We did not get the sleet/snow/freezing rain stuff. It's actually pretty mild, barely drizzling, but its cold enough to make icicles apparantly.

Yep, I'm really a 10 year old kid in a 44 year old body!

A deprived 10 year old who's never been sledding, never made a snowball or snowman, never been in a snowball fight. I missed out on all that good stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, be thankful that you've also never had to plug in your car, scrape the windshield before you can drive anywhere, have your skin crack and bleed from the dry cold, own a pair of very ugly boots that keep your feet warm even if it's 40 below, get frostbite, shovel your sidewalk and driveway three times in one day, fall on the ice, and have city snowplows pile up the snow in front of your driveway like they did to me yesterday.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ajane, we were giving away ice scrapers as swag at a career fair not long ago and there was a student from South America that had no clue what it was for. She kept saying, "but how does ice get on your car?" We've had a very mild winter here, so she's not even seen that in the states yet.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2208581;
    Well, be thankful that you've also never had to plug in your car, scrape the windshield before you can drive anywhere, have your skin crack and bleed from the dry cold, own a pair of very ugly boots that keep your feet warm even if it's 40 below, get frostbite, shovel your sidewalk and driveway three times in one day, fall on the ice, and have city snowplows pile up the snow in front of your driveway like they did to me yesterday.
    And that's the fun part of winter

MRD, I worked with a doctor from South Africa in Northern Canada. He wanted to shovel his driveway when there was 1 inch of snow. I had to tell him to wait so he wouldn't be the laughingstock of the whole town. After a winter of more than 20 feet total, the entertainment value wore off!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2207383;
    At my school, instead of passing into the next grade at the end of the year, we "Gateway" every 2 years, and I'm mid-year Gatewaying, after being a semester behind, in 6 days!

But that's not the good news.... We need to have a Metaphor to compare our learning experience to, and I was able to make mine Big Brother!! For my Gateway presentation, I'm going to have a PowerPoint Presentation, a timeline, and video clips of Big Brother 7: All Stars!

OK, I have to ask...you actually found some learning going on in BB to compare your learning experience to? Inquiring minds want to know!

MRD
    Well I'm sure that this weather will cease to amuse at some point. But right now its been kind of fun.

I am the opposite of the tourists in Florida who you see pulled over in front of the orange groves getting their picture taken. "Look we're in shorts in January picking fruit!"
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2208684;
    I am the opposite of the tourists in Florida who you see pulled over in front of the orange groves getting their picture taken. "Look we're in shorts in January picking fruit!"
    Aaaaahhhh! Now that's something to get excited about.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD - YEA!! I'm so excited that you got icicles!

We just got home - the drive was rainy, but the temps stayed in the upper 30's, so no icy roads or bridges.

Now, the BEST news - since we're home, we can go to our FAVORITE Mexican restaurant tonight, where the margaritas are the best, not to mention the fried plantains . . . yummy!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

+ Reply to Thread