+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree821Likes

Thread: Share your good news

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2187957;
    Myrosiedog sounds like you had a great time. I totally agree, a good tour guide is worth the money. Did you eat at the Cliff House? I haven't, I usually opted to eat at the coffee shop down the road ..lol. If you look below on the beach, you can see what's left of the old public swimming pool. Can't remember what it's called, but that is a beautiful area.

When we're in the area, we usually hit some of the tourist spots....Golden Gate park, Japanese Tea Garden, De Young museum, ride the street cars, drive by Mr. Vonna's high school, the house he grew up in, get a super burrito at El Torro's, etc.....never gets old to me.

My husband's father was a well known German Chef in San Francisco at Schroders. He passed away in the mid 1960's but Schroders is still open for business to this day. Wish Mr. Vonna's father would have passed down his cooking skills.. It didn't take long after we were married to realize he didn't have any cooking skills
    No, we did not eat at the Cliff House, but we got a kick out of reading the framed menus from the 40's and on that are near the restrooms and we shopped in the gift shop.
    Yes, we saw the public pools and heard a great deal about them from the guide. We actually ate in Sausalito right on the bay and watched the sailboats. We could see the rows of houseboats from the front of the restaurant and inside were seated near the rear that had all windows with a view of the bay and the Golden Gate.
    We did the Presido, Golden Gate Park, Japanese tea garden, Haight/Ashbury, Twin Peaks, The Italian section, forget what its called, LOTS of time in China Town, We saw where OJ Simpson went to highschool. We went down Lombard Street, Fisherman's Wharf (which kind of disappointed me. I have heard about this place all my life and it was, well, very touristy and kind of what I called Downtown Disney with a nautical theme. Not what I expected at all, but we did see the seals which were awesome) We saw lots of cool houses and the houses used in the opening shot of Full House. We actually did a LOT in 10 hours. We were only there 1 day. We crusied from San Diego to Vancouver and San Fran. was one of our stops. I thought San Diego was nice too and wish I had more time to spend in both San Diego and San Franciso. We went to Tiajuana as we had an extra day in San Diego and decided that since we were cruising to Canada, we'd do the WHOLE North American experience with the 3 countries!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedogwhen Fisherman's Wharf started serving imitation crab is when I quit going down there. And that's been a good 20 years.

O.J. Simpson is my husband's claim to fame--used to be anyway... They went to the same school---can't remember if it was at Lincoln High or at San Francisco City College. I'm sure it wasn't San Francisco State?????? Since the horrible ordeal, I try not to think about it..

I love cruising. If I could afford it, I would go on a cruise somewhere in the world, or even California every year. Myrosiedog, did you stop in Seattle too? That's also a beautiful area. You sound like me when I am on a cruise, I see as much of the city where we're docked as I can. If that means booking 2 excursions, then so be it......I'm so afraid I'll miss something spectacular...I'm usually not disappointed....oh, guess who's one of the last to embark---me..
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I LOVE Seattle, too! We have good friends out there still so we try to get out there at least once a year.

My good news is that the husband and I are planning a short vacation to some place warm next month! Hopefully the airfares will be as good as everyone's saying they are and we won't have to spend all our savings to go. But that's something nice to look forward to!

Vonna, are those your grandchildren in your avatar? Oh my goodness--they are sooo cute!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2188156;
    myrosiedogwhen Fisherman's Wharf started serving imitation crab is when I quit going down there. And that's been a good 20 years.

O.J. Simpson is my husband's claim to fame--used to be anyway... They went to the same school---can't remember if it was at Lincoln High or at San Francisco City College. I'm sure it wasn't San Francisco State?????? Since the horrible ordeal, I try not to think about it..

I love cruising. If I could afford it, I would go on a cruise somewhere in the world, or even California every year. Myrosiedog, did you stop in Seattle too? That's also a beautiful area. You sound like me when I am on a cruise, I see as much of the city where we're docked as I can. If that means booking 2 excursions, then so be it......I'm so afraid I'll miss something spectacular...I'm usually not disappointed....oh, guess who's one of the last to embark---me..
    Well then, I have a picture of your husband's high school.
    I took a picture of it because OJ went there even though I think he's a murderer and a complete imbecile to have wasted a great football and other career on that whole scandal. And I think he's guilty as hell.

Nope, I wish we had gone to Seattle. We went to Astoria Oregon. Which had not a lot to attract me. We did the excursion to Mt. St. Helen's instead.
    The ship excursions in San Francisco were SO bad, we found our own tour guide ahead of time and I am SO glad we did. We went in his personal minivan and got to go places the big buses that the ship booked could not go and we got to get out and walked. We walked most of the Italian section and Chinatown. Not so with ship excursion. All done in 4 hours on a bus. No thank you.
    We went from San Diego, San Fran., Astoria, Victoria, BC (BEAUTIFUL) and then Vancouver, but we saw nothing of Vancouver as we went straight to the airport from the dock. I have a friend that moved back to Seattle 2 years ago and I want to go visit so badly. She did meet us in Victoria though.
    I had never been to the west coast or seen the Pacific NW. GORGEOUS!!!
    But I couldn't live there. I hate rainy gloomy weather. We get a lot of that here in SC. At least in Florida, it rained and got over with and the sun came back out.

I want to go back to San Fran to see Alcatraz. I think that's about the only thing we missed. And we didn't get to spend a LOT of time in Haight/Ashbury and I REALLY wanted too, but my 2 friends didn't want too. They thought it was "weird". Well yeah, that's why I wanted to go there! I should have been born 10 years before I was so I could have been a hippie. I did manage to get a Greatful Dead and Haight Ashbury shirt while there though.

I want to do a Panama Canal Cruise. My dad used to talk about his Aircraft carrier going through the locks there and I used to think that was so cool to hear him tell about how they did it and how the sides of the ship scraped at some points. My husband was also stationed in Panama and says its beautiful. I had an uncle killed in the locks during WW1 and he was flown back and buried in Arlington. I've seen his headstone at Arlington, but for all those reasons, I just want to cruise through the Panama Canal.
    I did a Greek Islands cruise once. FABULOUS!!!

Oh Lois, that sounds wonderful and you both need it. Have any idea where you might go?
    Last edited by MRD; 12-27-2006 at 07:28 PM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2188203;
    Oh Lois, that sounds wonderful and you both need it. Have any idea where you might go?
    We're thinking Mexico, Jamaica or the Dominican Republic. Probably to a resort or something so we can just relax. I'm hitting the treadmill so I can wear a bathing suit again without causing people to hurl!

Lois, that sounds like a great plan. You'll be able to get away from it all, especially from the "well-intented" questions. Relax, take some sun, heal and just have fun.

ETA: just saw your post. I honeymooned on the Mayan Riviera at the Copacabana. It's a little pricier than other regions of Mexico, but it is so relaxing. No clubbing or teeny boppers. I totally loved it. On top of that, the Copacabana is secluded, right in the middle of the jungle so there are no other hotels to share the beach with. PM me if you want more info.

I want to go back to San Francisco to visit my good friend and his boyfriend. He keeps on trying to convinve me to move down there and into a place with the both of them lol. I've been there twice, but only a few hours each visit, and only to the uber touristy parts of the city. And I found out this summer I HAVE to live on a coastal region or large body of water lol. I am spoiled by these Seattle summers. Warm weather, but a nice cool breeze to keep it comfortable.

My good news: I am getting my Nintendo DS tomorrow! hurrah! AND I got 1 A and 3 A-'s last quarter, so my gpa is still 3.8!
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Lois Lane Hope this will be good news for you:

I received these specials in emails today--there are some good airline deals you may want to check out. I don't know where you live, but maybe there will something you can use...I get a bunch of these emails every week, but these are the best.

http://top20.travelzoo.com/

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,50064,00.html

great cruise deals at www.vacationstogo.com

Oh, Lois, those are 2 of my 8 grandsons....can't wait to see them next month when we drive down to San Diego for the little one's 1st birthday their daddy is the one who may get the job in San Francisco.

have fun!
    Last edited by Vonna; 12-28-2006 at 02:46 AM.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

I have this project that I have been working on for the last 7 months or so. Something that started off as fun, became stressful in the middle, and will be fun when I am able to give the completed project to the person that it was all done for.

Regardless...I finished it about five minutes ago. This is the last time I volunteer for anything this large scale, but it all worked out in the end. When I give it to the person, I believe next month I will take some pictures so that you have an idea what I am talking about --- depending on how it all works out.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2188439;

My good news: I am getting my Nintendo DS tomorrow! hurrah! AND I got 1 A and 3 A-'s last quarter, so my gpa is still 3.8!
    WAY TO GO!!!!!! Congratulations! Great GPA, I know you are proud of yourself and you should be.

+ Reply to Thread