+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree783Likes

Thread: Share your good news

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2142776;
    Seems that the doctors were all looking for something other than the obvious. Glad it is something easily treatable. My son has allergy-triggered asthma and I heard a pretty well respected allergist once say that allergies can flare up any time in your life. He said if you think of your immune system like a bucket, it can get full of invaders and it takes just one thing to cause it to overflow and boom - you have an allergy; maybe to something new, maybe to something that never bothered you before.
    You'll know next summer/fall if it is seasonal. My son's flares up in the spring, fall, if he eats certain food additives and when he laughs too hard. He used to be on a daily med. but now just uses claritin in the allergy seasons and albuterol as needed. Best of luck.
    I've been told that your allergies can change every 7 years. I do know that I have allergies now at 44 that I never used to have. But the one I've had lifelong that has never gone away is to cats. I get itchy, watery eyes, runny nose and my chest gets tight and I wheeze. And if the cat touches me, I get hives. I love cats, but alas, only from afar. Which is why I love seeing all the photos of everyones cats on the animal thread.

My daughter has recently developed an allergy to bananas. She's 15 and this has only shown up this year. Until this year, she could eat them with no problem.

I have become lactose intolerant in the last few years. Milk never used to bother me, but now it sure does. So I know that your body can change its sensitivities to stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Ditto to the above about later in life allergies... suddenly almond skins bother me. Also, a doctor told me once that going through menopause can bring on changes in allergies, being more allergic, so for the ladies that might be part of the explanation. Not that that helps in the treatment--don't think you'd want to go on estrogen for allegies!

rosiedog - a good cat alternative if you're allegic is a hedgehog. I have one and he is the funniest fellow! If you get them young and handle them, they get used to you and will keep you laughing like you wouldn't believe. They have quills instead of fur, so no allergins.
    Count your blessings!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2143078;
    rosiedog - a good cat alternative if you're allegic is a hedgehog. I have one and he is the funniest fellow! If you get them young and handle them, they get used to you and will keep you laughing like you wouldn't believe. They have quills instead of fur, so no allergins.

We have friends with a hedgehog and he is precious. Unfortunately we have Jack Russell Terriers and they are hunters. They killed 2 hamsters my daugther had and the male has killed a mole and a bird outside. They regularly chase the neighbor cat who is no longer afraid of them, so now they just stand and bark at him, but they chase the squirrels and chipmunks.

So having a small animal isn't an option for us.

And I don't blame the dogs. This breed was bred to hunt small animals and it is most definetly an instinct of the breed and not something we've trained. Believe me, we have tried to train them not to do this.

Post a pic of your hedgehog sometime tho.

I'm not allergic to the dogs, just cats.

My good news: The painting will be finished tonight! YEAH!!!!

Still have our bedroom and the back hallway, but they are going to definetly wait until after the holidays, but all the front rooms are now painted and hubby is working on finishing up the trim tonight.

I'm laughing about the cat who is no longer afraid of the dogs so they just stand & bark. WOO HOO on the painting being done.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2143283;
    I'm laughing about the cat who is no longer afraid of the dogs so they just stand & bark. WOO HOO on the painting being done.
    Oh Gabriel, I wish you could see it, especially the first time.

Our dogs are 7 & 9 and have never seen a cat until we moved in August.

So at first they chase the cat, the cat runs. Up a tree, under the porch, whereever. The dogs then circle and sniff, cirecle and sniff, circle and sniff.

After about a month of this, the cat says to hell with this, I'm not running anymore. So Bogie (or Bogus as my husband calls him) takes off flat out RUNNING after the cat and the cat just holds his ground. Bogie put the brakes on and skidded to a stop and he and the cat are nose to nose and you can almost tell what Bogie is thinking: "Hey, you're supposed to run so I can chase you!" It very much confused him, so he started barking and the cat just continued to stare at him like: "so what, go ahead and bark you stupid dog".
    Now I open the back door and say to myself: "They're off!" as they both go tearing out like we're at the dog track and sure enough the cat (why this cat loves our yard and our carport so much is beside me. He has a very nice home next door) is usually out there waiting for both of them. Rosie has finally decided, well this is stupid, it won't run, I'm not going to bother with it anymore and she goes off sniffing all the other smells in the yard. But Bogie continues to run up to the cat and bark his fool head off. And the cat just sits there and stares at him. It's a Mexi-cat stand off!

And Bogie is a fairly bright dog as he has been very easy to train and has even taught himself some tricks that always garner lots of attention from everyone (he may be dumb, but he's not stupid! ), but he won't get over this cat obsession and its driving us all nuts. Especially the cat, I'm sure! In fact, the cat kind of has the same expression as your kitty Gabriel in your avatar. I don't know if that is Mona or Joey, but this cat is not so amused either.

But the good news is that the cat hasn't tagged him yet, but maybe if he does, then the dog would leave him alone.

More good news on my part: We got a $200 refund from the phone company. Now THAT's good news!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2143383;
    Oh Gabriel, I wish you could see it, especially the first time.

Our dogs are 7 & 9 and have never seen a cat until we moved in August.

So at first they chase the cat, the cat runs. Up a tree, under the porch, whereever. The dogs then circle and sniff, cirecle and sniff, circle and sniff.

After about a month of this, the cat says to hell with this, I'm not running anymore. So Bogie (or Bogus as my husband calls him) takes off flat out RUNNING after the cat and the cat just holds his ground. Bogie put the brakes on and skidded to a stop and he and the cat are nose to nose and you can almost tell what Bogie is thinking: "Hey, you're supposed to run so I can chase you!" It very much confused him, so he started barking and the cat just continued to stare at him like: "so what, go ahead and bark you stupid dog".
    Now I open the back door and say to myself: "They're off!" as they both go tearing out like we're at the dog track and sure enough the cat (why this cat loves our yard and our carport so much is beside me. He has a very nice home next door) is usually out there waiting for both of them. Rosie has finally decided, well this is stupid, it won't run, I'm not going to bother with it anymore and she goes off sniffing all the other smells in the yard. But Bogie continues to run up to the cat and bark his fool head off. And the cat just sits there and stares at him. It's a Mexi-cat stand off!

And Bogie is a fairly bright dog as he has been very easy to train and has even taught himself some tricks that always garner lots of attention from everyone (he may be dumb, but he's not stupid! ), but he won't get over this cat obsession and its driving us all nuts. Especially the cat, I'm sure! In fact, the cat kind of has the same expression as your kitty Gabriel in your avatar. I don't know if that is Mona or Joey, but this cat is not so amused either.

But the good news is that the cat hasn't tagged him yet, but maybe if he does, then the dog would leave him alone.

More good news on my part: We got a $200 refund from the phone company. Now THAT's good news!!!!
    One of these days the cat might just *HISS* and make bogie squirm a little..
    Good news on the phone company is right!

Thats Mona in the avatar shes my 13 yr old QVEEN as I call her, and JOEY my 10 yr old BIG boy is here with his "sister"
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2143078;
    Oh Gut...you've got to post a picture of your hedgehog....I'd love to see it...what's his name???
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

His name is Henri, and we only speak to him in French (which I teach and all my kids took in high school). I haven't taught myself how to post pictures yet, but with the long TG weekend coming up and my kids all in Ohio without me - it may be a good time to learn. I do, however, know how to do avatars, so check it out!
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 11-16-2006 at 06:12 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2143876;
    His name is Henri, and we only speak to him in French (which I teach and all my kids took in high school). I haven't taught myself how to post pictures yet, but with the long TG weekend coming up and my kids all in Ohio without me - it may be a good time to learn. I do, however, know how to do avatars, so check it out!
    You only speak to him in French?? wow I did forget to add what a cutie! (the hedgehog)
    Last edited by just1paul; 11-16-2006 at 07:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread