+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Rosie - Congrats on the new house! I hope that you'll enjoy SC. My parents have been to the BMW plant there. They have a little Beamer and my Dad was thrilled to be able to take it out on the test track at the plant. I'm not sure that my Mom has recovered from that ride yet. Best wishes for your move!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I'm back from Africa! I had the most incredible time and can't wait to tell you all about it, but right now I'm horribly jet-lagged. So look for a long post tomorrow.
    Count your blessings!

Welcome back Gutmutter. I'm glad you had a great time. Cannot wait for the detailed post (with pictures, please!).

Good to see you, Gut! Can't wait for all of your stories!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Welcome back Gut! Post some pics if you can. Gut and the lion....love to see it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm back from Africa! I had the most incredible time and can't wait to tell you all about it, but right now I'm horribly jet-lagged. So look for a long post tomorrow.
    I can't wait to read all about and I hope you have lots of pictures too. Did you bring me a zebra?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Queenie, but what about your tomatoes? Won't he get to them before you?

Welcome home Gut. Hurry up and recuperate so we can be dazzled with your pictures.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Welcome back, Gut! Glad to hear you had fun...can't wait for the pictures.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Glad you're back on home ground safe and sound Gutmutter! Awaiting your incredible vacation recap
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

My daughter's phone alarm went off at 5, but that's noon Kenyan time, so I'm wide awake with a cup of Kenyan coffee (brought back lots). I'll give highlights here and then try my best to figure out how to download pictures onto my computer and get them here. First I want to dedicate this review to my dad who died while I was upcountry. By the time I got the news, and as far out in the bush as I was, there was no way to get home in time for the funeral. I was travelling with a friend I'll call J., her son C., and his friend J.B. The first few days we stayed with her sister S. in Nairobi but I met all 4 sisters (a sister and brother are here in the states). J has 110 first cousins on her mother's side and I met about a third of them plus aunties, grandmother and parents. The last day there was a cousin's wedding and everyone I had met was there (the outfits were traditional - wow!) so I was quite the social butterfly. I got some incredible gifts on leaving. Everyone I met was so open, generous, and kind. We were fed everywhere we went, but I didn't gain a pound! (Probably the lack of ice cream - desserts were mangos, papaya, and a kind of banana we don't have that is firmer and fruitier). For a special guest, tradition requires you slaughter something. An awful lot of chicken's were sacrificed on my behalf. I should say chicken-flavored gum because these birds are a different breed and you can chew as long as you want because they're not breaking down. You learn to take little bites. We went to 3 conservation areas and saw every kind of game in Kenya except an elephant. Lots of elephant poo, but no elephants. A giraffe tried to eat my hair and a rhino charged me. I don't like baboons as much as I used to (they're everywhere) but I'm fascinated by warthogs. They are so ugly as to be captivating and oink like pigs. We gave a Maasai man a lift to his home off-road and got to meet 2 of his 3 wives and 5 of his children. I was allowed to go into their stick and goat dung homes. Swahili was spoken most places, some English, and a lot of Kikuyu which is her tribal tongue. We went up-country to Nanyuki where her mom lives. A nicer mom you'll never meet. We went to Nyeri where her 90+ year old grandmother still lives independently in a 2-room shack with cows, goats, chickens, and geese. There are cows, goats, and chickens everywhere. The Maasai herd the goats and cows nomadically and there is land for them to do that. I've seen more zebras than I can count - even spotted a rare "gray" zebra, whose stripes are so thin and close as to appear gray from a distance. The Pop Rocks I brought were as big a hit with grown-ups as they were with kids. I learned I can entertain children for hours without speaking their language - and did on several occasions. When we went back to Nairobi we were summonsed by a wealthy cousin and stayed 3 days in her newly built home. Bullet proof doors, chauffeur driven cars. One night I was going to bed and accidentally hit a panic button instead of the light switch. Security guards arrived promptly. I gave her son a bag of gifts including the whoopie cushion I brought and it was the first time I saw him smile. Apparently a whoopie cushion is something he has always wanted. I also noticed he had a huge amount of fun with the colored pipe cleaners I included. Digital camera review mode is sure to create a sense of awe everywhere. That's all for now. Hope I didn't hog too much space for this. Good to be home, but have indelible memories.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 08-01-2006 at 06:31 AM.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread