+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree657Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Aww Gutmutter, your veins have been quite a problem. A shunt may be an option,but I will certainly continue to pray for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I guess I'll post this here, although I'm sick to my stomach about it. I just came from my doctor and there is a great new cancer drug that will hugely increase the odds that my cancer won't come back, but it's a 3-hour IV every 3 weeks for a year. If you don't know my story, IV's are a huge problem for me... not a fear of them or anything, just don't have the veins for it. Every 3 weeks for a year. I thought I had it all behind me.
    Keep your head up, BraveHeart!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

That is great news, gutmutter!

Gutmutter I hope you find a way to make your veins co-operate! I used to get a 6 hr IV every 4 weeks. Now, I get an 3hr IV every six weeks and it's been about 10 years now. I'm actually up to about 98 IVs now. At 100 I'm going to buy a big cake for the nurses!

I'm sure a year will go by quickly, and considering the benefits, just imagine all the goodness flowing into your body every time you go. I'm not sure about the swimming though. You may need to resort to exercising in the pool in the shallower end and keep the shunt above water. I'm aware you can keep it in for several days or a week or so, but then they tend to clog up. You may have better luck.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

This is so the wrong thread, but.. you know how I talked about going to the China Olympics? Well I'm not making it there anymore. I am so crushed.. It means a lot to me, and to my friend who also got cut. This is her last year in my school, because she's moving somewhere else next year, and you know, this could be the highlight of our friendship before she moves there.. I don't understand. Why tell me I "have a good voice" but then cut me, when there is one person there (I sound so bitter and angry, but.. I can't help it), who can't sing. At all. Sigh. I am still hoping that maybe perhaps the people my teacher chose who got through aren't up to her expectations, so she'll reinvite us "losers" back to reaudition. I was just "Okay.. I'm going to be fine.." but seeing my friends with tears streaming down their face, saying stuff like, "I prayed everyday that we would all go together" just makes me so sad. Today was such a crappy day.

BigMacs - Sorry for your disappointment. Why don't you approach the teacher privately and ask if there is a chance things will change? Ask to be put at the top of the waiting list and then continue to work hard with a positive attitude. As you said, she may realize you would be a better candidate. As for my news from yesterday... I slept on it and swam laps this morning with it on my mind and have come to the conclusion that I will just go and it will become routine and if there are problems with my veins, we'll deal with it then. Just to clarify, my doctor has not even discussed using a shunt for this. I asked him if it was ok to keep up my swimming and exercise regiment and he gave me two thumbs up. I realize as I think about it, that part of what troubles me is that nobody even mentioned that my cancer had been particularly agressive until this came up. It makes me wonder what else I don't know.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I realize as I think about it, that part of what troubles me is that nobody even mentioned that my cancer had been particularly agressive until this came up. It makes me wonder what else I don't know.
    Whoa...that does give one pause. I assume they thought it would discourage you. Next visit maybe you should bring this up with your doctor, and say how much it bothers you, and that YOU are the kind of patient who wants ALL the news, good or bad. If you are sure you are, of course! I think I am, but if push came to shove?

On a lighter note - I finally installed my printer! We have been without a printer since the beginning of this school year and trying to install a new printer seriously jammed my computer, requiring $60 tech service (then I found the company over-charged me $465 on my credit card and had to deal with that!). Anyway, I promised my daughter who has a report due that I'd do it today and I've spent most of the day doing anything else. Finally got to brass tacks - same problem, went on the internet to trouble-shoot and somehow that put the fear of God in the printer installation program and it downloaded whatever it needed to complete the job without me doing anything. I tell you - computers are weird.
    Count your blessings!

Jafo Congrats on the engagement.
    Gutmutter- Thats great about the new cancer drug, but not so great about the veins. I have a question do you have rolling viens? If so ask about a picc line what they do is put a line through your neck
    I'm sorry I didn't even know you had cancer. What kind of cancer is it? I'm sorry if I'm being nosey thats just me.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

My daughter came home from school today with a brand new pair of shoes. I don't know who said anything, but the school found her a cute pair of Nikes. Her shoes are pretty ratty and I haven't been able to buy new ones. The main reason being that I am broke and can't afford it, and when I do get a couple extra dollars Igo to Walmart to find some cheapie shoes I can't find any. She is in 5's in adults so the kids shoes are too small. All they have are either sandals or heels. I refuse to put my 8 year old in stillettos.

I guess the bad part is that I felt kinda inadequate because I couldn't get her a pair of shoes. (it sure sucks being poor, but that would be for a whiiiine thread) The good thing is that someone cared enough about her to make sure she got some. I think it was her teacher, but I will probably never know for sure. She is writing a think you note this weekend to give to the school. She loves them.

+ Reply to Thread