+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree609Likes

Thread: Share your good news

There seems to be a lot of teachers or soon-to-be teachers at the FORT! My good news is in relation to that. I'm in my graduating year as an elementary school teacher and I just got my first job as a substitute! I got three calls within two days!! two of which I had to turn down because 1. I checked my answering machine too late and 2. the third school called 5 minutes after I accepted the second school's offer.

I'm so excited, but nervous too!!! Any suggestions for what to do in a 3rd grade classroom in case the techer doesn't leave anything for me? It's for this Friday. Yay!
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

Awww, how awesome!! I always wanted to be a teacher when I was little. I am still considering becoming a professor/lecturer one day after I have worked in the business field for a another decade or two. Congrats!

Queenb - thanks for the hot sauce and hydration tips. I'm going to go home and have a baked potato with salsa on it and make a pot of tea. Yesterday off watching movies all day really did the trick. I feel much better. Still a little gunk, but it doesn't feel like a health problem any more, just leftovers. Coksy - I was a sub for 5 years and loved it. There should be sub plans - especially if you knew about it ahead of time. If not, ask another teacher what they're working on. I never had to make up work, but if you find yourself in that position... assign them a writing assignment. Have them explain what they are doing in math and do a few problems on the board. Have them tell you their spelling words and have them write sentences using their spelling words correctly. Read to them. Have them tell you where they are in their science/history books and read the next chapter asking lots of questions for comprehension. Read to them. Look around the room to see what themes they've been working on. Ask questions related to those themes. Read to them. They will probably have art/music/gym at some point, recess, lunch, etc. to break up the day. Read to them.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 10-05-2005 at 02:27 PM.
    Count your blessings!

COKSY - good for you! The world needs more good teachers, and for you to be so concerned about what to do, sends a signal that your heart is in the right place. Subbing can be difficult, because sometimes the students may "test" you and act out. Try to do an icebreaker, and learn a little about each student. We once gave a penny to each student in the class. They had to think of something exciting that happened to them in that year. The trick is, since they are third graders, you would have a limited number of years to work with, so finding about 30 pennies from the year 2003 might be tough.

Congrats Coksy. I'm not sure if Gut mentionned it in her post, but you should
    definitely read to them.

Thank you Glitter, Gut, Ana and DesertRose!

I'm really happy to be doing this, to be starting my career.

Thank you for the advice. I'll definately read to them.

ANA, you had me with the pennies
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

Every September my company does a fundraiser for Children's Hospital. Each restaurant is given a goal and those that exceed their goal recieve a prize. The store who exceeds their goal the most gets first pick of the prizes: tickets to an OSU football game, Bluejackets hockey game, gift certificate from Krogers, etc. The top prize is $2000 for your next vacation. Guess who won that? We donated $7,000 from my restaurant and $42,000 as a company to the hospital.
    Needless to say, my next vacation will be much sweeter. Also my company added another weeks vacation to our benefits package and I now get 4 weeks vacation a year.

Congrats, Unklescott!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fogey
    Congrats Unklescott!

And Gutmutter, I'll be praying for you tomorrow!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    way to go Unk.

good luck Gut.

+ Reply to Thread