+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

GA, thoughts and prayers your way.

AFter finding out that my sister, who'd done chemo, radiation and the pills (her oncologist said it was almost overkill) after 7 years was found w/breast cancer in her spine, and leg. After it spread to her collar bones, she is now taking new protocol at Emory, and the cancer is shrinking. She is a very positive and spiritual person. I know she has been scared, but she sends out a positive vibe for the rest of us. She is my hero. Whatever happens, this has been a bonding experience for we sisters. I know she did a lot of research and when the next latest protocol wasn't working, she found this latest that is working.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;4189414;
    GA, thoughts and prayers your way.

AFter finding out that my sister, who'd done chemo, radiation and the pills (her oncologist said it was almost overkill) after 7 years was found w/breast cancer in her spine, and leg. After it spread to her collar bones, she is now taking new protocol at Emory, and the cancer is shrinking. She is a very positive and spiritual person. I know she has been scared, but she sends out a positive vibe for the rest of us. She is my hero. Whatever happens, this has been a bonding experience for we sisters. I know she did a lot of research and when the next latest protocol wasn't working, she found this latest that is working.
    That's such an encouraging story! I have a friend whose brother was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer, which had spread to his spine and leg, all after the colostomy and traditional treatments. The doctors told him there was nothing more they could do. He was ready to give up when HE had a friend who told him about a special nutritional program that builds the body's immune system and actually fights the cancer. He started the program and - his sister, my friend, a very spiritual woman - swears that was 10 years ago, and he's still healthy today, no cancer. I know it seems hard to believe.

However, she told this story because we have a mutual friend (age 50) who's been diagnosed with Stage IV rectal cancer. The surgery done, radiation and chemo done, but they've discovered spots on the liver and in both lungs. She, too, is very spiritual (a pastor's wife, actually), and she's devoted herself to this nutritional program. While it's only been a couple of years, her doctors say they're surprised at how well she's doing, and that the cancer isn't spreading as they'd have expected.

I told her that if she ends up being deemed cancer-free, too, I'll go on that program myself! (Even though it means giving up a lot of the good stuff!)

If you're interested, it's described at hacres.com
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

IDK, I suppose the what ifs would be draining in itself. I don't think she is going that route, she is very positive. I spoke to her this morning before she leaves for her appointment, and joked they are wearing out the road with their travels to doctor's/medical appointments. She is certainly trusting Him, there's no doubt about that. Whatever happens, its His decision and she'll know why when the time comes.

famita: Interesting you mention the spread to your sister's collar bones, I hope I'm wrong, but there is obviously something wrong with her collarbone area, as it is inflamed and larger than the other side.
    I'm so glad to hear it is shrinking for her, it sounds like she has already gone through years of treatment.

Thanks again everyone, for listening. I'll keep you posted.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama;4189423;
    That's such an encouraging story! I have a friend whose brother was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer, which had spread to his spine and leg, all after the colostomy and traditional treatments. The doctors told him there was nothing more they could do. He was ready to give up when HE had a friend who told him about a special nutritional program that builds the body's immune system and actually fights the cancer. He started the program and - his sister, my friend, a very spiritual woman - swears that was 10 years ago, and he's still healthy today, no cancer. I know it seems hard to believe.

However, she told this story because we have a mutual friend (age 50) who's been diagnosed with Stage IV rectal cancer. The surgery done, radiation and chemo done, but they've discovered spots on the liver and in both lungs. She, too, is very spiritual (a pastor's wife, actually), and she's devoted herself to this nutritional program. While it's only been a couple of years, her doctors say they're surprised at how well she's doing, and that the cancer isn't spreading as they'd have expected.

I told her that if she ends up being deemed cancer-free, too, I'll go on that program myself! (Even though it means giving up a lot of the good stuff!)

If you're interested, it's described at hacres.com
    It's a mostly raw food vegan diet, no meat or fish or dairy or eggs. It's called the Hallelujah Diet, inspired by some quotes from Genesis. The theory is that we are really herbivores, not carnivores or omnivores, because meat eaters have a short straight gut that aids in the processing of meat, while we have a more herbivore gut, which tends to trap meat, which then rots in our guts causing disease. Whether the theory has any basis in reality I'll leave to the science guys, but certainly the emphasis on veggies and fruit and unprocessed food is in line with current nutritional thinking. As SugarMama says, you'd have to give up a lot of the good stuff, but you'd get a lot more of the good for you stuff. They have recipes to make the transition easier.
    Let us know how it works for your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4189556;
    The theory is that we are really herbivores, not carnivores or omnivores, because meat eaters have a short straight gut that aids in the processing of meat, while we have a more herbivore gut, which tends to trap meat, which then rots in our guts causing disease.
    This is actually not strictly true. From a vegetarian resource site:

Intestines
    Intestinal absorption is a surface area, not linear problem. Dogs (which are carnivores) have intestinal specializations more characteristic of omnivores than carnivores such as cats. The relative number of crypts and cell types is a better indication of diet than simple length. We are intermediate between the two groups.

Conclusion
    Humans are classic examples of omnivores in all relevant anatomical traits. There is no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to the vegetarian diet. For that reason, the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet remain ecological, ethical, and health concerns.
    Humans are Omnivores -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

The main problem with today's diet is that we eat far too much meat, far too much in general, and we eat processed foods. The best diet for a basically healthy person is ovo-lacto vegetarianism or pescatarian (eating fish along with dairy and eggs). For those not using their diet as part of a cure for something worse, strict veganism has a higher mortality rate in ischemic heart disease than either of those two noted, and is not recommended by a number of health associations for children, the elderly or the pregnant.

Whether or not one is a vegetarian, the best overall way to eat is NO processed foods, lots of foods from the wider end of the food group triangle, and try to go organic as much as possible.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Guardian Angel,

You commented on your friend's humorous, almost sardonic attitude about her cancer, and did any of us have experience with that...?
    My sister's BF had lung cancer surgery a few months back. She had related a story to us about a colleague at work. Said colleague has been known to say things that others might think are rather indelicate and not exactly socially acceptable. Case in point - when everyone was trying to console sister's bf, tell her all would be OK, have faith, etc. - he just blurted out to her, "does this mean you're going to die?" Her response to him was along the lines of, "well, at some time, yes."
    She said that his comment just made her realize that at some point, you have to just put it all into perspective. She's had so many problems over the past several years, that she's found adopting a realistic, albeit, borderline satiric wit, has enabled her to maintain her sanity.She actually ended up consoling the guy who made that comment to her. That helped her a lot in coping with all of this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Adding my prayers.

AN update on my mom......she is in the nursing home. SHe doesn't eat and drink much and talks very little. We have had a few moments she was lucid and would seem to be good but then go back to the sleep pattern. The nursing home has gotten hospice in and they will be caring for her for the most part. They did tell us we could take her home but advised against it since someone would have to be there 24/7 and never leave her by herself. Her new dr. came in today and said that the spot on her brain is probably growing more thus why her tongue is going to one side. They have taken the back brace off of her for more comfort but if she seems in pain they will put it back on. It is now between her and God as to what happens. We realize our mothers days are numbered and the only thing we can do at this point is spend as much time with her as we can. I am only 2 miles away as is another sister and brother so we are able to visit everyday and go more than once a day.

My brother in law with the cancer had a treatment the other day and is doing pretty good even though he has had a few days where he has run some high temps. My sister and him will be leaving to go back to Georgia tuesday as he has another round of chemo next week.

My hubs will be having knee surgery Monday and I am hoping that will fix him up........lol. He will be off work 4-6 weeks.

I don't really like calling it talking about troubles just going through trials in life sounds better.

My thoughts are with you, Nennie.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Wow.... I'm sorry for all of your troubles everyone!

I feel bad coming to complain about my stuff. You all know we had that scare in December where Victor was hospitalized after Christmas for a bacterial infection due to the chemo causing horrible "runs". The "runs" caused an abscess in that area last month which caused him to be hospitalized at Children's hospital for the duration of his next chemo treatment. He was actually in the hospital for 11 days. We fight constantly about how he needs to keep on his immodium, drink boatloads of liquids, eat properly, etc. It is always a battle here and I am wearing thin fast. Yesterday he looked pale and I mentioned it to him only to get "I'm fine, back off!" yelled in my face. Last night he went to coffee with a friend and fainted in the coffee shop. He came home and I took his blood pressure, temp, etc and all were fine. I asked him what he had eaten or drank and he informed me he hadn't eaten all day (even though I had prepared a sandwich for him earlier which I found out he buried in the trash can). I immediately got him to eat and drink high calorie stuff and his color came back and he felt better.
    I spoke with the doctor this morning and he basically said to me that "I" need to ensure he eats and most importantly drinks the recommended amount of liquids daily. Like I don't know this. I yell, scream, cry, beg my son to take care of himself.........nothing gets through. Every hospital stay he promises me he will get on top of his drinking and eating. Once he feels semi normal, he doesn't drink enough and then screams at me that he is doing what is asked of him. I think I'm going to have a heart to heart with this doctor alone and let him know that whatever I am trying to do isn't working. Something has to be done to keep this kid alive long enough for this treatment to work. The treatment is working.....it is stopping new cancer cells from leaving the liver and has kept his lung spots stable.
    Tonight Victor is going to go out to a concert that one of his friends is playing in. It's a small venue, no big names, just a hundred people but I am frightened. I know he is absolutely miserable staying inside every day, every night and doing nothing but playing on the internet. He is a teenager so I am well aware of the need to mingle with is peers........but I'm scared anyway. If I put my foot down and tell him no way he is going, he is just going to get more depressed and possibly sleep all day and night without eating or drinking anything.
    I think it is all starting to really get to me and I feel like I'm cracking apart at the seams...
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread