+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1647Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

4PM - 2AM on the weekends has got to be hard.
    Any after school programs are generally on weeknights - not Saturday / Sunday - and are usually only 'til 7PM at the latest.
    How about your school's PTA? Do you know any mothers there, who you can trade hours with, perhaps?
    Or, perhaps someone from your local church group?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I had that problem for a couple of years when my job transferred me to the neighbouring city. My son suggested I call the Mom of his friend who lived close to the school and would walk home. They owned a pizza business, and she would go into work while the kids were in school, getting prep work done and would always be home before school was out. Mind you he was 11 or so at the time. I felt horrible having to ask someone, I never had a babysitter, and worried about the cost. I called her and asked if my son could walk home with her son, and stay there till around 5:30 or so. She had no problems at all with that, she thought it was great, because her son wouldn't bug her and they could do homework, play video games or watch movies together. It was only for a couple of hours, but it was such a big help.

Maybe you could find someone like that, that lives near the school?

Gutmutter....we live in a tiny village...only about 3500 people. So no Y or daycare center. The closest one is in the next town over...where I have friends that would watch him.

I've asked around for parents AND teens who want to watch him. I think I might have the hour covered on Monday and Friday. A teenager I know said she might be able to do it. I still have the dilemma of Saturdays and Sundays. Normally, my husband only works one of those days, but it being the weekend, nobody wants to do it. Right now, my oldest son is picking him up and his boss lets my little guy sit in his office with my iPod. He plays Angry Birds, Pogo and other games I have on there... But it's a short term arrangement.

Thanks for the ideas, though. I'll keep asking around. Maybe I just haven't asked the right person yet.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4172288;

Our local library is a hot mess these days.

On another topic...I don't know what I'm going to do. I need a reliable babysitter and am having no luck. I can't afford to quit my job so I'm looking for something with better hours. I work Fri-Mon 4 pm to 2 am. My 19 year old son was watching my 8 year old but he finally found a job so he isn't available anymore. He works evenings. My 20 year old works full time and of course, my husband is working two jobs and he's the breadwinner so he can't call in to watch the little man. Nobody wants to babysit in the evenings or on weekends. Especially weekend nights. My husband is a part time firefighter (that's his second job) and he works 24 hour shifts. It's just really difficult and I have no idea what I'm going to do. I have to work tonight and have nobody to pick my son up from school. They'd only have him an hour until my husband gets home I don't have family around here and he only has his mom, who usually says no when we ask her. Which ticks me off because she has no problem driving 90 minutes to watch his sisters kids. I have friends who said they would do it, but they live in the next town over but it's 20 minutes away in the opposite direction of my work. So that would add 80 minutes to my drive time each day. I really have no idea what I'm going to do.

Regarding the Library, ours cut back on a lot of things, including staff due to the city having to cut back on some financing due to critical budget issues.

Regarding your little guy, I was thinking perhaps the Library could run a program with maybe Volunteers supervising ... but those are tough hours.

I understand it's a small town, but is there a Senior Center or an organized Senior group that might know of an energetic and "adoptable" local Grandparent who might be available?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;4178026;
    Regarding the Library, ours cut back on a lot of things, including staff due to the city having to cut back on some financing due to critical budget issues.

Regarding your little guy, I was thinking perhaps the Library could run a program with maybe Volunteers supervising ... but those are tough hours.

I understand it's a small town, but is there a Senior Center or an organized Senior group that might know of an energetic and "adoptable" local Grandparent who might be available?
    I was going to suggest the same thing - a retired person. My mother-in-law is 89. Three years ago when she was living in a house (she has since moved to a retirement home), she used to babysit for the girl next door after school. The girl was in 4th grade at the time. My MIL liked the company and helping with homework and introducing the girl to some new books.

Or how about the mothers of some of your son's classmates? They may like to earn a few extra dollars.

Do your older children have friends who might be able to do it?

Ask everyone you know for suggestions....other parents, teachers...

Or wives of your husband's fellow firefighters? Some of them may be in the same position.

I love the idea of an 'adopt a grandma' but I really don't know anyone. I'll have to ask around.

The friends of my sons all work or cheerlead or something that keeps them busy on the weekends. I did find a 16 year old who is willing to watch him on Monday's and Friday's. She'll pick him up from school and keep him until someone gets off work. Normally, she'll only have him about an hour but tomorrow night she'll have him until around 10:30.

I also found the wife of a co-worker. She lives here in town and since the Mr. works the same nutty hours I do and she's left at home without a car, she said she would do it. But she won't be available for a few weeks. She just had a pain pump inserted into her back and is recovering. I just need someone to pick up the slack until she's feeling strong enough to do it. He's an easy kid to watch. He's perfectly content to occupy himself.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Is there a local minister you could contact that might know some retired folks in your town that would like to babysit?
    Have you tried the local high school counseling center? They may have listings of high schoolers that are looking for some after school work. Alternately - you could post at the local library.

I used to have to find several 16 year old teens per semester so that when one started volleyball season, another one would have their soccer season ending and be available to babysit. Not easy.

Here's a good website to find caregivers for children or the elderly: United States Child Care, Special Needs, Tutoring, Senior Home Care and More - Care.com
    It probably would help more for those in larger towns and cities - but you never know.....
    Last edited by pajamasam; 02-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Please pray for my friend, who found a lump in her breast two weeks ago, and was told yesterday she has to have a mastectomy next Tuesday. She is in her late 30's, a vegetarian, photographer, healthy beautiful young lady, who has been to Africa many times on a missionary with her church. These are the times when there is no answer to the question "why her".

She actually said, don't pray for her, pray for her husband, he's going to need it.

GA,

My prayers are with you, her, and her husband.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4187275;
    Please pray for my friend, who found a lump in her breast two weeks ago, and was told yesterday she has to have a mastectomy next Tuesday. She is in her late 30's, a vegetarian, photographer, healthy beautiful young lady, who has been to Africa many times on a missionary with her church. These are the times when there is no answer to the question "why her".

She actually said, don't pray for her, pray for her husband, he's going to need it.
    Without hesitation Prayers are being said.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread