+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4168714;
    The branch I'm on the board at is one of the busiest in the city.
    We beg for volunteers. We never have enough of them.
    You're at the Carmel Valley Branch Library in San Diego, too?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

No. I'm in LA area.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Our elementary school libraries always seem to be in need. The librarians have been cut down ridiculously, like one librarian for all the schools and she gets a few hours at each school during the week. They're always looking for reliable older kids to just come in and shelve books.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

One of the kids that was in the hospital with Zac passed away today. RIP Matthew Barr, a real sweet little boy. Cancer sucks.

CaringBridge / matthewbarr / Journal

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4170247;
    Our elementary school libraries always seem to be in need. The librarians have been cut down ridiculously, like one librarian for all the schools and she gets a few hours at each school during the week. They're always looking for reliable older kids to just come in and shelve books.
    I am again fighting to keep my job of 21 years in an elementary library. This time they want to cut our hours 30% and expect us to do the same work. I am a paraprofessional - we now have one certified librarian for 12 schools. And they still want to cut my job. It is a sad day when libraries are seen as luxuries.

Unklescott my heart goes out to you. It is so sad to lose a child to cancer.

I'm very sorry to hear that Unk. My heart goes out to his family.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

What a sweet boy. RIP how sad that children have to go through that.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4171325;
    What a sweet boy. RIP how sad that children have to go through that.
    , and their parents.

I'm sorry Unk. I can't even imagine what the loved ones go through.

Our local library is a hot mess these days. I volunteered for a while but they had so many people on their volunteer list so I stepped back. Because of budget cuts, I now just donate books and magazines. I got a Kindle, so the book donations are going to drop off but I do get People, Glamour, Cosmo, Reader's Digest and Allure so I donate those. It saves the library money they can use for actual books. The only issue I have is with the director. For some reason, she barely orders any Bestsellers and she's pretty much cut out all new mystery/suspense books. The last time I was in there, they'd reorganized the shelves and now the Inspirational Fiction section is very prominent. They aren't catering to everyone....just one group of readers. A lot of people have complained about it but it hasn't changed anything. I'll keep donating but I haven't checked out a book in months. They have nothing that appeals to me.

On another topic...I don't know what I'm going to do. I need a reliable babysitter and am having no luck. I can't afford to quit my job so I'm looking for something with better hours. I work Fri-Mon 4 pm to 2 am. My 19 year old son was watching my 8 year old but he finally found a job so he isn't available anymore. He works evenings. My 20 year old works full time and of course, my husband is working two jobs and he's the breadwinner so he can't call in to watch the little man. Nobody wants to babysit in the evenings or on weekends. Especially weekend nights. My husband is a part time firefighter (that's his second job) and he works 24 hour shifts. It's just really difficult and I have no idea what I'm going to do. I have to work tonight and have nobody to pick my son up from school. They'd only have him an hour until my husband gets home I don't have family around here and he only has his mom, who usually says no when we ask her. Which ticks me off because she has no problem driving 90 minutes to watch his sisters kids. I have friends who said they would do it, but they live in the next town over but it's 20 minutes away in the opposite direction of my work. So that would add 80 minutes to my drive time each day. I really have no idea what I'm going to do.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Are there any after-school programs at his school or the Y? Most schools have them for people in your situation. Also daycare centers usually care for after school kids if you look that up in your yellow pages. You can have him bused directly there.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread