+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2019Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4165520;
    I just wanted to post about two agencies that sell food at a great discount. They're run by volunteer labor and they use buying in bulk to get good food discounts, then pass that along to anyone who needs it. There is no income requirement to buy their food. It's something that can really help you out when every penny counts. The two programs that I know about are Bountiful Baskets and Angel Food Ministries. You have to check and see if either is in your area, but if they are you shouldn't hesitate to use them. Their mission is to get food to people, period.
    Thanks Hep!

Queenb, I am trying to find the article I read a few weeks ago, but it addressed the fact that jobs overseas were being created faster than ones here at home.

Almost 2 million jobs were created by American Companies overseas last year. It listed the companies and the jobs.
    It also said something like 600,000 jobs were created in this country.

So yes, there are a LOT of jobs going overseas. Can you imagine taking 2 million people off the unemployment rolls in this country if those jobs had been created here?

When I find the article, I'll send you the link

And yes, companies here are taking advantage and cutting back employees as well. But 2 million overseas jobs is not something trivial.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-27-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

I know there are a LOT of people who have problems a lot worse than I do. And it breaks my heart that there is so much pain and heartache and tragedy and suffering in the world. I may sound mean and petty, but I own my own problems and to me, they hurt too. Maybe not as bad as others and I'm thankful that I have a lot more than some people do. But I'm not going to apologize because I have problems or that I came here to share them because everyone here is usually very supportive.

So yes, being unemployed is better than having cancer. But is being foreclosed on and homeless better or worse? Is there a scale to meaure this on? Because this time, we could very well end up homeless. I Hope we don't and we are trying not too. But there aren't a lot of resources left for us.

So someone please let me know, if we should rate the scale of human suffering or just shut the heck up?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4166995;
    I know there are a LOT of people who have problems a lot worse than I do. And it breaks my heart that there is so much pain and heartache and tragedy and suffering in the world. I may sound mean and petty, but I own my own problems and to me, they hurt too. Maybe not as bad as others and I'm thankful that I have a lot more than some people do. But I'm not going to apologize because I have problems or that I came here to share them because everyone here is usually very supportive.

So yes, being unemployed is better than having cancer. But is being foreclosed on and homeless better or worse? Is there a scale to meaure this on? Because this time, we could very well end up homeless. I Hope we don't and we are trying not too. But there aren't a lot of resources left for us.

So someone please let me know, if we should rate the scale of human suffering or just shut the heck up?
    mrd human suffering is that and we each have it and some on different scales but your troubles are really no different than mine. My heart goes out to you because it is just as scary dealing with what you are going through as what I am going through. My husband has been unemployed and knowing that we could very well at anytime be a paycheck away from disaster is horrible. My husband has a job but after his knee surgery and having to go on workers comp who is to say they won't find a reason to get rid of him after he goes back.

Life is tough and there are days I want to just run away and hide.

There is no scale, its a 10 for anyone going through any type of difficulty. If you have to compare, that's when perhaps a scale can be used to determine. IMO You can say well at least its not health issues, or at least I have a roof over my head, however it doesn't take away the issue of whatever the challenge is. Its all about how to deal with it.

Coming here and talking your head off is one way to deal with it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I strongly suggest volunteer work while you're waiting for a paying job to come through. You may be surprised at the networking opportunities that you can find while volunteering, and it can help to take your mind off of the bothersome everyday negatives. And it will look good on your resume.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4166932;
    Thanks Hep!

Queenb, I am trying to find the article I read a few weeks ago, but it addressed the fact that jobs overseas were being created faster than ones here at home.

Almost 2 million jobs were created by American Companies overseas last year. It listed the companies and the jobs.
    It also said something like 600,000 jobs were created in this country.

So yes, there are a LOT of jobs going overseas. Can you imagine taking 2 million people off the unemployment rolls in this country if those jobs had been created here?

When I find the article, I'll send you the link

And yes, companies here are taking advantage and cutting back employees as well. But 2 million overseas jobs is not something trivial.
    Oh, I believe some are going out, no doubt, but I think even more are being lost due to the reasons I laid out.
    The jobs there are don't pay much, that's for sure.
    Phroshay, I was trying to do the baking thing and was getting raves on my items while my sister's little cafe was open. But when they started doing well the building owner jacked the rent up so high they couldn't make any money, so they closed. And, old crab that i am, I have no friends, etc. to spread the word about my baking and that's something I would really need. I am still making pet beds, aprons, mats, and so forth, and have about broken even on them. I need to get up a big inventory and hit some bigger venues, I think; this stuff sells itself because no one else does anything just like mine. I'm also designing some bags that I think are cute, trying to get up a stock of those as well.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

My husband volunteered at one of our public libraries (the one where I meet with most of my tutoring students) when his hours were cut back. He didn't really get any sort of money-making networking -- but it just made him feel better to have something to do and to be with people. He'd stop at my table and say "hi" to my tutees and make them laugh. The librarians adored him. They were happy for him when his hours were restored, but they missed him, too, and still tell me to say "hi" to him for them.

I think his volunteering made things better for my business. Not as far as getting more money or clients, but the librarians -- thought always very nice to everyone -- are especially nice and accommodating to me.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4167724;
    My husband volunteered at one of our public libraries (the one where I meet with most of my tutoring students) when his hours were cut back. He didn't really get any sort of money-making networking -- but it just made him feel better to have something to do and to be with people. He'd stop at my table and say "hi" to my tutees and make them laugh. The librarians adored him. They were happy for him when his hours were restored, but they missed him, too, and still tell me to say "hi" to him for them.

I think his volunteering made things better for my business. Not as far as getting more money or clients, but the librarians -- thought always very nice to everyone -- are especially nice and accommodating to me.
    Here's how bad it is at our public libraries - they're turning away volunteers! Many of the charities around here are doing the same. They just don't have enough work for the number of people who want to volunteer.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4167729;
    Here's how bad it is at our public libraries - they're turning away volunteers! Many of the charities around here are doing the same. They just don't have enough work for the number of people who want to volunteer.
    It's that way in most of the libraries around here. The one I go to, however, is the busiest in the system. Why? This will probably sound racist, but the neighborhood has a huge Korean/Korean-American population (all of my tutees are Korean or Korean-American) -- and the families are always in the library. Whether for checking out a bagful of books, for studying, for attending the community programs -- everything. The parking lot is always full. The tables are always full. There is always a line at the checkout counter and at the librarians' desks. There are lots of volunteers, and they always need more.

I've visited other public libraries in the system. Always a parking spot. Empty tables. Crickets...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

The branch I'm on the board at is one of the busiest in the city.
    We beg for volunteers. We never have enough of them.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread