+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

As are mine.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Bug and Nennie, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

My husband found out yesterday that his boss is firing all the subcontractors. We are once again going to be unemployed. And no unemployment as he's a sub.

I had a good interview Sat. and called them yesterday per their instructions only to be told they haven't done the background investigation so they don't know if or when I can start.

There is something fundamentally wrong when you work hard ALL your life and you get nowhere. When you WANT to work and can 't find it, no matter how hard you try.
    Yes, I'm bitter and so should all the unemployed be. We aren't lazy, we aren't laying around. I would MUCH rather work. And so would my husband.
    Do you know what it does to a man when he can't provide? It's not pretty, let me tell you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Bug and Nennie - You are both in my thoughts.

MRD - Sorry to hear about your husbands job. I don't blame you for being bitter. I know the feeling. I am so sick of hearing all the talk about the "lazy" unemployed, cutting benefits so they have to go back to work, requiring drug tests before someone can get unemployment or welfare. Sure, there are people out there who are abusing the system, but the vast majority are just struggling to get by, pay the bills, and not lose everything they've worked all their lives for. I wish you luck with the job prospect.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who are going through difficult times.

I agree mrd my husband has been through 2 layoffs in the last 8 years and now he is facing knee surgery because he got it hurt at work. We have worked hard all our life and had saved for retirement only to have been faced with lay off and not old enough to retire at the time and our savings went to pot because he could never find a job making what he was. My heart goes out to all who are facing these situations because it is tough and uncertainty can take it's toll on you.

MRD

I NEVER, EVER thought I would say this as I do love my country, but if I could, I would leave and go to Mexico, Belize or Costa Rica in a heartbeat. We could afford to live there. We can't afford to live in this country anymore.

Nennie, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Mine also has health issues due to injuries sustained in the Army. Injuries that the VA thinks shouldn't be bothering him at all, despite the fact that THEIR x-rays show an elbow that looks like a snowstorm, there are so many bone fragments. And other issues that they just want to throw oxycontins at instead of actually doing something that would help. No, let's make him an addict instead.

Sorry all, I am bitter and I am upset. I'm tired of being portrayed as lazy because I'm not working. I'm tired of my husband losing his job (this is the 3rd time in 5 years because the industry he's been in almost 30 years is hurting really badly) and I"m tired of him being in pain. I'm just sick and tired of all of it. I don't expect life to be a rose garden, but I didn't expect it to be all thorns either.

Thanks Lil Bit. I know you know how it is. And I appreciate your words. I don't know why people don't "get it" that we're not sitting around eating bon bons. My husband is going to be 50 in a few months and I"m going to be 49. We are heading into the years prior to retirement with nothing. Retirement is going to be a joke. IF we can find jobs, we'll work until we're 80 or die.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-26-2011 at 08:49 AM.

I am there with you mrd. Never in my life did I think I would see us where we are at now.

My sister's husband has stage 4 cancer and his report this morning was bad. The chemo isn't working on the place on his neck and a few more spots have showed up on his spine and she is here helping us deal with my mother's situation. He also was in construction and so the money situation has been a burden and thank God his sister has been financially able to help them.

My mom's diagnosis is stage 3 renal failure with no dialysis.

I guess I am going to have to live by the saying what doesn't kill will make you stronger.

I'm out of my words to live by-I pray for good news for all of you. I'm also sending healing thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4164526;
    Sorry all, I am bitter and I am upset. I'm tired of being portrayed as lazy because I'm not working. I'm tired of my husband losing his job (this is the 3rd time in 5 years because the industry he's been in almost 30 years is hurting really badly) and I"m tired of him being in pain. I'm just sick and tired of all of it. I don't expect life to be a rose garden, but I didn't expect it to be all thorns either.
    I'm so sorry, you''re dealing with this, MRD. I feel your pain, I really do. I've been unemployed for many months and have applied for hundreds of jobs. Temp agencies won't even talk to me because they don't have jobs coming in for the people they already have registered with them. Now I may lose my unemployment benefits because 18 months ago I inadvertently left an extra shift at my part-time job off of my paperwork. Apparently, they think I was trying to defraud the government. I'm in the appeal process, but it doesn't look good. Not sure what I'm going to do, although I have family who can help in the short-term.

It's just dire out there for so many of us and there aren't jobs. When this all started, I made a rule that I had to apply for at least one job every day. Now there isn't even one job to apply for 'cause it's the same one I applied for yesterday and the day before and the day before.

I would LOVE to work. There are several people who've said they would love to hire me, but can't afford to because they're on thin ice, financially, as well.

Sorry to have a little pity party there. I know my problems are nothing compared to what others are dealing with. It's just so frustrating.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4165222;
    I'm so sorry, you''re dealing with this, MRD. I feel your pain, I really do. I've been unemployed for many months and have applied for hundreds of jobs. Temp agencies won't even talk to me because they don't have jobs coming in for the people they already have registered with them. Now I may lose my unemployment benefits because 18 months ago I inadvertently left an extra shift at my part-time job off of my paperwork. Apparently, they think I was trying to defraud the government. I'm in the appeal process, but it doesn't look good. Not sure what I'm going to do, although I have family who can help in the short-term.

It's just dire out there for so many of us and there aren't jobs. When this all started, I made a rule that I had to apply for at least one job every day. Now there isn't even one job to apply for 'cause it's the same one I applied for yesterday and the day before and the day before.

I would LOVE to work. There are several people who've said they would love to hire me, but can't afford to because they're on thin ice, financially, as well.

Sorry to have a little pity party there. I know my problems are nothing compared to what others are dealing with. It's just so frustrating.
    Critical, I'm so sorry you are going through this too. I guess knowing we are in the same boat is some comfort. I have literally sent out hundreds of resumes and applications. I have heard back from less than 6 to say they filled the position. Most don't bother to let me know anything, even if they received the resume.

I'd say you are entitled to a pity party. Maybe we can all go have one together. BYOB tho, none of us are working.

I am so disheartened because I do watch the news and read a wide variety of material and I frankly do NOT see the job situation in this country getting any better for YEARS. I know, I'm a real downer, but it's true. There are no jobs. There are no companies creating jobs in America. They are creating them overseas.

Nennie, I am so sorry about your brother-in-law and your mom.

This week was 10 years ago that I lost my mom and that has also been playing into my crappy attitude.

Well, we may all have our troubles, but one thing I can say that is positive, we have everyone here for support. And I KNOW that to be true.

I just wanted to post about two agencies that sell food at a great discount. They're run by volunteer labor and they use buying in bulk to get good food discounts, then pass that along to anyone who needs it. There is no income requirement to buy their food. It's something that can really help you out when every penny counts. The two programs that I know about are Bountiful Baskets and Angel Food Ministries. You have to check and see if either is in your area, but if they are you shouldn't hesitate to use them. Their mission is to get food to people, period.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread