+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Still praying for your mom, nennie.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Thanks again.

Since thursday after they did the scope on her and found she had bleeding ulcers and that was where the blood loss was from she hasn't really woken up much. All she does is sleep and we try to get her to talk and wake up. She is eating nil to none and only wants ice cream when she does say anything about food. Her best day was tuesday when she had company and she talked with them that day since then she hasn't talked much.

We will be moving her to the nursing home monday.

Best of luck nennie, with that transition on Monday.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Nennie--Good for your sister. When my mom broke her leg she got pneumonia in the hospital and they were ready to write her off. I really pushed for treatment. That didn't get her back on her feet, but it did get her back to her apt. in the assisted care facility. She slowly faded away over the next couple of months, but for most of that time she was awake and chatty, and "receiving" like a queen....a long stream of visits from old friends, kids, grandkids, nieces, etc., and really got to have a good last visit with everyone still around and important to her. Yes, that treatment only bought her a little time, but it was important time for her and even more so for the rest of us.
    Sadly when they stop eating though, that is usually a warning sign to prepare yourself....I remember with my mom, ice cream was also one of the things we could most easily coax her to eat. It's terrific that the place you've found for her is so close and that you have an "insider" going for you. We were able to have people with my mom most of every day her last couple of months, and while it was a great place I'm sure that impacted the care she got.
    You've probably thought of this, but if she is in pain from all those back issues they are probably giving her a lot of morphine or related drugs, which, obviously, makes her sleep more, and be more groggy when she is awake.

Bug--crossing my fingers for Victor....

I have to say that my mom is doing good today and her and I have been laughing. I think we have her out from under of most of the drugs and anasthetic she had for the GI procedure she had done. She told me I had to behave myself. She still doesn't understand the long term of her recuperation and we will have to see how the nursing home affects her. She is now eating more.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;4159287;
    I have to say that my mom is doing good today and her and I have been laughing. I think we have her out from under of most of the drugs and anasthetic she had for the GI procedure she had done. She told me I had to behave myself. She still doesn't understand the long term of her recuperation and we will have to see how the nursing home affects her. She is now eating more.
    All good news, nennie! I'd say post in the good news thread except it is full of football fans celebrating!
    One thing we did for my mom when she moved out of her house was to put as many things from her home in the room as we could, pictures--photos and art--and even furniture if they let you. She had a big painting of my dad (who had died many years before) on her wall that was a big comfort to her.

That's great news about your mom, Nennie! I'll send good wishes her way that she continues to improve!

And good for your sister for standing her ground! I know this isn't as dire as your situation but I let the peeps in our local ER have it a couple of years ago. My son had sliced his hand open at school and the nurse let him sit there for 3 hours because they couldn't reach me. I'm still wondering why we sign consent forms for medical care if they aren't going to use them??? Anyway, when I finally got him to the ER, his skin had dried out too much to stitch, so they had to soak it in iodine for 20 minutes. Fast forward three hours and it had dried out again and nobody would come stitch it. Six hours at least had passed and he's sitting here with his palm laid wide open. I finally found a nurse and told her to wrap it and give me discharge papers. She said the doctor was on his way in now. I told her to stick the doctor where the sun don't shine (I forgot to mention that there was only one other patient in there the whole time). I also told her I had better NOT get a bill because they didn't do anything. I drove him 50 miles to the hospital my husband works at and they had him stitched and ready to come home within an hour. I never did get a bill. But he required 10 stitches, so it wasn't a little cut that might have been okay without stitches. Ugh.

Sometimes you just have to find your inner bitch and let her loose!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

JavaJo: I'm not sure where you are, but that pretty much sounds like an everyday occurance here in Ontario Canada. If you have to go to the hospital, bring an overnight bag, you might need it if you're willing to wait hours on end.

I feel bad for all hospital workers, they do work hard but with all the cut backs, and 12-15 hour shifts, its impossible to provide proper care.

I'm glad it finally worked out for your son JavaJo.

I must be lucky, because the hospital in my town in Ontario Canada, doesnt make you wait too long in ER when you have a dire situation going on! Unfortunately, I have had to spend a lot of time in hosptals the past several years, what with my father's illnessess, my daughter getting meningitis, husband's heart attack, my son's psychological breakdown, and a few minor things. My son and daughter recovered.

nennie, I hope the nursing hospital move goes well. My mom stayed in a nursing home for 17 months while in a coma. What I learned from that experience was that there were very special people working there who treated my mom with love and respect. What a tough job, yet they showed so much pride in their work. I had a dim view of such places before that experience and now see that many people working in nursing homes are angels. I hope for the best for you mom and for your family.

+ Reply to Thread