+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2019Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Amazing what a bit of fit throwing can do. My mom is still in the hospital and they wanted us to put her in a nursing home and just basically let her die. The social worker came in and told us we needed to go with her and fill out the papers to get her out and in a home and my sister bluntly and not so nicely that wasn't happening. She told her until they could tell us why she went from being mobile to immobile in a matter of a few hours she wasn't going anywhere. The next day the dr came in and by the urging of our nurse she told him she wanted her to be seen by a nuerologist and an orthopedic to try and determine why she was like she was and he said give me a reason to call them in and she said I gave you a reason. He conceded and did and wow what we have begun to find out.

She has 10 fractures on her vertebrae. She was dehydrated and now we found out today she needs blood and they have been running a plethora of tests to see what all is wrong with her. Tomorrow they will start doing a radiation drop where the test takes 3 days to go through her body. The neurologist wants to see what has happened in her brain. They are also doing GI series to see where the blood is going. So glad to have a hard headed sister who wouldn't take no for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;4154511;
    Amazing what a bit of fit throwing can do. My mom is still in the hospital and they wanted us to put her in a nursing home and just basically let her die. The social worker came in and told us we needed to go with her and fill out the papers to get her out and in a home and my sister bluntly and not so nicely that wasn't happening. She told her until they could tell us why she went from being mobile to immobile in a matter of a few hours she wasn't going anywhere. The next day the dr came in and by the urging of our nurse she told him she wanted her to be seen by a nuerologist and an orthopedic to try and determine why she was like she was and he said give me a reason to call them in and she said I gave you a reason. He conceded and did and wow what we have begun to find out.

She has 10 fractures on her vertebrae. She was dehydrated and now we found out today she needs blood and they have been running a plethora of tests to see what all is wrong with her. Tomorrow they will start doing a radiation drop where the test takes 3 days to go through her body. The neurologist wants to see what has happened in her brain. They are also doing GI series to see where the blood is going. So glad to have a hard headed sister who wouldn't take no for an answer.
    I've always heard from others, and after spending considerable time in the hospital myself--you truly do have to be your own advocate (or your family does).

What great daughters your mother has!

Nennie,

Very glad that you have a sister who speaks her mind to Drs, Hopefully, you're on a good path now to answers.

I just found out that my sister's best friend, who had the lung cancer surgery about 2 months ago, just had a uterine cancer biopsy. Dr. now wants to do an ovarian one, as she's had a cyst for a year that has not changed. This poor girl is just beside herself. First lung cancer, now possiible ovarian cancer. She feels like a human guinea pig at this point.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My thoughts and prayers will be with your friend nrh.

I have never had to deal with from drs. before but did I ever get a wake up call.

I have found through this situation with my mother which each of us girls strength lies. Today was a horrible day for me and I couldn't find my bearings and my youngest sister picked up and did what needed to be done. She said I have my big girl panties on and I am after it. She also said I have your back and the oldest sister is the one staying on the drs. to get things done. I other wise take care of the everyday things for my mom and all her financial things and her dr. visits. It has been good to have them helping me.

Bunny, I'm so terribly sorry for the loss of your daughter. That is a pain no parent should have to face. My heart goes out to you.

Buglover, I am praying for good news for Victor.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;4154511;

That is great that you all got them to take action.

Death panels already exist within the insurance companies, they don't want to pay for tests, so the hospitals won't order them and get stuck with the bill and patients like your mom get sent off to a nursing home. Thank goodness she has you and your sister to insist that they TREAT her instead of just shipping her off.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Nennie -- every patient, senior or not, who cannot fight for him/herself, needs some kind of ombudsman. I could tell you a few stories of what hubby and I have encountered in the past couple of years. Spouses, children, or other relatives or close friends have GOT to know what is going on. Fortunately both my hubby and I were able to speak up, and actually I got nasty. I know this was a wake-up call for you, but it one of those facts of life dealing with modern hospitals, doctors, etc. I wish your family good luck and keep strong!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4154531;
    Nennie,

Very glad that you have a sister who speaks her mind to Drs, Hopefully, you're on a good path now to answers.

I just found out that my sister's best friend, who had the lung cancer surgery about 2 months ago, just had a uterine cancer biopsy. Dr. now wants to do an ovarian one, as she's had a cyst for a year that has not changed. This poor girl is just beside herself. First lung cancer, now possiible ovarian cancer. She feels like a human guinea pig at this point.
    Sometimes, you just have to say "no...enough, already.". I can understand why she is feeling like a human guinea pig, and she may, very well have a right to. Some times, I think that these docs know that you will not object and just blindly follow, and it can be a chance for them to pad their pockets. This is as much of a money game as it is a health game, sometimes. I think I might be asking if finding out that an unchanged cyst would really be useful. Then I'd have to know what are the chances that they will find out something new from the unchanged cyst. Sometimes, you just have to take a stance. But that is an individual decision.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

nennie: Geesh, that sounds so frustrating! However, it sounds like you have wonderful sisters as well. Each of you have special skills that work and it sounds like you are all doing a mighty fine job.

I had a similar situation a year ago or so. My sister and I were not happy with the doctor my mother was seeing. She had been going to her for many years, and even though we insisted she get a new doctor she really felt bad to leave. Well then one Sunday, she had a situation, she didn't want to go to the emergency, however on Monday my sister called the doctor. Well, the doctor was too busy to see her and couldn't get her in till Tuesday. Tuesday morning comes along and the doctor calls to cancel and reschedule. That was enough for us.

We switched doctors, which wasn't easy to do in Ontario, however its been the best thing for her. He is very thorough, changed up all her meds, she's lost 30 pounds in the last year which was probably all fluids from the other meds and looks better now at 78 than she did at 70.

We always feel bad questioning doctors, but our bodies know and try to send us messages all the time.

+ Reply to Thread